2022 Nascar Hall of Fame

I was surprised by some of the numbers regarding the modern era nominees as provided by Speedsport today. Kenseth appears to have the best numbers.

Modern Era Ballot
  • Neil Bonnett, won 18 times in the NASCAR Cup Series including consecutive Coca-Cola 600 victories
  • Tim Brewer, two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion crew chief
  • Jeff Burton, won 21 times in the NASCAR Cup Series including the Southern 500 and two Coca-Cola 600s
  • Carl Edwards, winner of 28 NASCAR Cup Series races and 2007 Xfinity Series champion
  • Harry Gant, winner of 18 NASCAR Cup Series races, including two Southern 500 victories
  • Harry Hyde, 1970 NASCAR Cup Series championship crew chief
  • Matt Kenseth, 2003 NASCAR Cup Series champion and winner of 39 Cup races
  • Larry Phillips, first five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion
  • Ricky Rudd won 23 times in NASCAR Cup Series, including the 1997 Brickyard 400
  • Kirk Shelmerdine, four-time NASCAR Cup Series champion crew chief

I was surprised by some of the numbers regarding the modern era nominees as provided by Speedsport today. Kenseth appears to have the best numbers.

Modern Era Ballot
  • Neil Bonnett, won 18 times in the NASCAR Cup Series including consecutive Coca-Cola 600 victories
  • Tim Brewer, two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion crew chief
  • Jeff Burton, won 21 times in the NASCAR Cup Series including the Southern 500 and two Coca-Cola 600s
  • Carl Edwards, winner of 28 NASCAR Cup Series races and 2007 Xfinity Series champion
  • Harry Gant, winner of 18 NASCAR Cup Series races, including two Southern 500 victories
  • Harry Hyde, 1970 NASCAR Cup Series championship crew chief
  • Matt Kenseth, 2003 NASCAR Cup Series champion and winner of 39 Cup races
  • Larry Phillips, first five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion
  • Ricky Rudd won 23 times in NASCAR Cup Series, including the 1997 Brickyard 400
  • Kirk Shelmerdine, four-time NASCAR Cup Series champion crew chief
A name most won't think of as a hall of fame, but compared to a few here Kasey Kahne 18 wins 3 Coke 600s and a Brickyard 400.

Kasey Kahne is not HOF material. Neither is Bonnett, Edwards, or Burton. They has good careers, not great careers.

If I'm voting, I'm going with Kenseth, Phillips, and Shelmerdine. And Mathews on the Pioneer ballot.

Kasey Kahne is not HOF material. Neither is Bonnett, Edwards, or Burton. They has good careers, not great careers.

If I'm voting, I'm going with Kenseth, Phillips, and Shelmerdine. And Mathews on the Pioneer ballot.
Pretty Subjective but Bonnett had a great career on the Track and in the booth along with the hit TV Show Winners.

My sentimental picks would be

-Neil Bonett (there has to be something really messed up with anyone that didn't like the guy and just being happy he was part of Nascar, he was genuine, an essential.

-Harry Hyde for the CC work with Bobby Isaac the K&K car was incredible and they would have won more titles if they hadn't lost factory support. For his work with Geoff Bodine the original HMS "All Star racing outfit" that got Rick his first cup and make or break win 37 years ago at Martinsville. Plus the incredible 1986 season with Tim Ruchmond who raced at his best for Hyde.
I am a Robert Duval fan but Harry was too good for the days of thunder crap. If that's all you know about him do yourself a favor and google some real Harry Hyde racing accomplishments.

- Sam Ard: fate cheated him he would have been great in the cup series. That old #00 Thomas Brothers country Ham" scheme was as iconic as Ingrams brown 11, Dick Trickles white knight cars, an orange #61 Evans Modified, or a Lindley #16. Those guys were the gods and if you won against them you were doing it against the best.
And Brett Bodines ability to live up to the #00 was a big hell no.

But if I was on the actual voting committee and accepting all the responsibilities I would vote for

-Matt Kenseth who still has all my sentimental wishes, they are just not needed to make the case for him he has the numbers. It should be indisputable

-Harry Hyde but I would never argue with Shelmerdine as a worthy alternative.

-Harry Gant he had a great late model sportsman career plus the cup career and that magical 50 year old September. He entered the 1992 Atlanta race with a highly improbable but still mathmatical shot at the championship as a 50 year old and that is just incredible

Note: I feel guilty about not pushing the Larry Philips cause. Life isn't fair and i just had no exposure to his career. I knew who he was only by only reading old stock car magazines and weekky racing reports. I suspect that many overlook him for the same reason. That being said I will be happy for his family and fans when he gets in, I know that he was/is deserving.

Kenseth, Shelmerdine, Moody

Not sure how many years you can remain on the ballot but there are certainly a few more nominees there who should get in at some point.

For the landmark award I would nominate Janet Guthrie first

As a distant second i would nominate Alvin Hawkins or Dr Joseph Mattioli.

If they do not get in I would nominate one of the following Bill Weber, Rutledge Wood, Hut Stricklin, Buckshot Jones, Skip Manning, John Wes Townley, Casey Atwood, Norm Benning, Jerry Glanville , Jeremy Mayfield, Bill Pronger, LW Wright or Kentuky Derby race horse jockey Luis Saez or even the Godawfulfarther Dave Moody all before nominating Mike Helton or Lesa France Kennedy.

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
For the landmark award I would nominate Janet Guthrie first

As a distant second i would nominate Alvin Hawkins or Dr Joseph Mattioli.

If they do not get in I would nominate one of the following Bill Weber, Rutledge Wood, Hut Stricklin, Buckshot Jones, Skip Manning, John Wes Townley, Casey Atwood, Norm Benning, Jerry Glanville , Jeremy Mayfield, Bill Pronger, LW Wright or Kentuky Derby race horse jockey Luis Saez or even the Godawfulfarther Dave Moody all before nominating Mike Helton or Lesa France Kennedy.
I agree 100 per. but I'll be surprised as hell if brown nosing doesn't win out

This is tough...

I'm split between Bonnett and Gant. However, Phillips was something special in the touring/Weekly series. Captain Kirk is a strong candidate.

Phillps
Kirk
Ard

Foyt deserves it as well, but Ard was probably one of the greatest drivers to not truly advance to Cup. A lot of his peers thought the same way.

Also, put Smokey Yunick in the HOF. For the love all that is great, please.

I don't know that winning a championship is justification for entry. But I think most would agree Matt's dominating-but-only-one-win season was a key factor leading to the introduction of the Chase / playoffs.

Nice Hershel, great to see they let him in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-151420_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220504-151420_Gallery.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 63
Looks like I'm in the minority but I just don't see how Matt was a 1st ballot hall of famer. I mean hes good but I think some other guys have done a lot more for the sport.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Looks like I'm in the minority but I just don't see how Matt was a 1st ballot hall of famer. I mean hes good but I think some other guys have done a lot more for the sport.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Most Cup champions are going to get in the first time.

I'm pleased he's in but I won't disagree with you. Earlier I posted wondering if a single title was enough to get him in on the first shot.

Stupid question, but eventually they are going to run out of people to put in right? It just seems to me the criteria is very loose or...... maybe I just havent seen one? I remember when I first joined here, maybe a bit later but there was an explosive debate about HOF Criteria, I dont remember the conclusion or who were the parties discussing it but I know it was lengthy.

Back
Top Bottom