2022 Start Times

kkfan91

Everyones an outlaw til its time to do outlaw s%&#
NASCAR announces start times and networks for 2022 season - NASCAR MOBILE https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...ces-start-times-and-networks-for-2022-season/

Cupace20211102135842.png

Tbh. Sometimes an earlier start time could also be a problem. Let’s look at this years Daytona 500. If it started earlier and was far enough into the race when the rain came, we probably don’t get a full race. So it’s really no perfect time like people like to think. Yeah they’ve been times a 12 pm start time would get you a full race before the rains. But be careful what you ask for

Three races in October start at 2:00, everything else is 2:30 or later. LOTS of 3:00 and 3:30 start times.

It doesn't bother me much, I just don't get it. Are we catering to the west coast crowd? I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of California folks during a wedding a couple weeks ago. They aren't big NASCAR fans, but said they love watching football at 10am on Sundays. Honestly, that sounds awesome to me.

I wonder what the process is that determines the start times and the reasoning behind making 3 Eastern the standard "day" start time. Assuming it's the networks that push for it. Would be cool to see behind the curtains for all the data they use to make that decision

All available evidence supports the reality that later afternoon start times result in higher overall viewership for sporting events. That is reality within the television industry, and it's not even viewed as up for debate. It's quite simple. There are considerably more televisions in use nationally between 3-6 PM on Sundays than from 12-3 PM. There is no decline in Eastern timezone viewership during these hours, and there is a pronounced increase in Pacific and Mountain regions.

The counter to this are some fans' personal preferences. That's it.

I'd say we're including that crowd.

I am one of those.

Well apparently NASCAR or the networks think west coasters are incapable of waking up by 10am on a Sunday. I guess a lot of fans go to church in the morning, but there's DVR nowadays. But we can't have fans fast forwarding through commercial breaks!

All available evidence supports the reality that later afternoon start times result in higher overall viewership for sporting events. That is reality within the television industry, and it's not even viewed as up for debate. It's quite simple. There are considerably more televisions in use nationally between 3-6 PM on Sundays than from 12-3 PM. There is no decline in Eastern timezone viewership during these hours, and there is a pronounced increase in Pacific and Mountain regions.

You're right. My only counter is my own personal preference, and it's really not a big deal, I'm still watching regardless.

I don't care what the start times are, I DVR all the races and watch them at my convenience. :booya: :salute: Most of the time I am doing other things of importance to me, such as being in the Oak and Cabbage Hammocks in Florida on my hunting lease or taking a nap if I am so inclined The DVR is one of the best tools for all auto racing on the boob tube. Heck, quit a few times I go to You Tube and watch the 15 to 25 minute race summary on Monday Morning, depending on the track they are at, say Texas for example, I definitely You Tube that race Monday morning.

Honestly there are times when I prefer a later afternoon start. The only time later starts bother me is at the tracks with no lighting. That usually guarantees a Monday race if there's any kind of weather delay, and I hate Monday races.
Dover and Pocono at 3 leaves no wiggle room for delays

Tbh. Sometimes an earlier start time could also be a problem. Let’s look at this years Daytona 500. If it started earlier and was far enough into the race when the rain came, we probably don’t get a full race. So it’s really no perfect time like people like to think. Yeah they’ve been times a 12 pm start time would get you a full race before the rains. But be careful what you ask for
Agreed. I love how people use rain as the reason for early starts, overlooking that sometimes it rains in the morning too.

I still hate the 3/3:30 starts, but yeah, I'm a big enough fan that I'm going to watch anyway. It just means my dad and I will continue to miss a portion of the race to go out to dinner with our family.

It’s getting to the point where this doesn’t stir a reaction. I don’t know many folks left who watch these things when they’re live. A couple buddies dvr and get to it when they get a chance.

just ready for the streaming stuff to become primary soon

I don't have a problem with it either way, but now I won't have to choose between live racing or live football as much. The downside is that the later the race the less people come on here and discuss the race after it is over and that is kind of fun to do and something I look forward to on Sundays. I enjoy seeing all of the different views fans have after a race is finished.

Last edited:

I have changed my initial opinion on later start time from a dislike to a conditional like. I have gotten use and like having most of the day on Sunday free and then later tune in the race and watch with dinner. The condition is if I am attending a race. I then prefer an early start and have even decided to not go to a late starting race when I had the chance.

Start times are local times at track location.

I'm moving to Utah so MTN time instead of my current EST so idk what y'all are saying....TONS of 1pm starts!!! 🤣

As an inland west coaster, I don't mind the later start times, I get to sleep in a bit longer on the one day I that get too ;):).

I do understand the dislike from you East siders for the late start times.

The start times this coming weekend is going to be perfect for me on Sunday. At 10.30 am the start of a hour and half of Count Down To The Green followed by the start of the championship race. Then as soon as the race is over there will be just enough time for a little dinner before the Sunday Night pre game with the Rams and the Titans. :punkrocke

Are we catering to the west coast crowd?
I am on the west coast. I am a Toyota fan. By the transitive property, this is NASCAR catering to Toyota....again. It never ****** ends.

Back
Top Bottom