2023 Bonehead of the Year: The Nominations

As for the waiver for the suspension, do we REALLY want to wipe out a driver and team season because of the OPINION that someone's actions crossed some imaginary line?
There are lesser penalties available. If NASCAR is handing out a suspension, the infraction is probably pretty blatant.

Short answer: Yes.

There are lesser penalties available. If NASCAR is handing out a suspension, the infraction is probably pretty blatant.

Short answer: YeS.

How was what Chase did any more egregious than what Heim did in the Truck finale? There was a LOT more on the line in that truck race, yet Heim wasn't suspended. Like I said, someone's opinion. Why not suspend Heim for Daytona 2024, not give a waiver, and wreck his entire season before it even starts?

How was what Chase did any more egregious than what Heim did in the Truck finale? There was a LOT more on the line in that truck race, yet Heim wasn't suspended. Like I said, someone's opinion. Why not suspend Heim for Daytona 2024, not give a waiver, and wreck his entire season before it even starts?
You’re kidding me. Corey Heim was intentionally taken out in a championship race and collected him on a turn. Chase hooked someone down a fast front stretch

Close..somebody mentioned "waivers" (SQUIRREL!!) and off they go.
Hamlin all the way. Not only does he continually choke even when Nascar makes it easy for top teams to be in the chase, but now JR gave him a damn pod cast to run his little bitty whiney mouth.
I fully expect Dennis to do the same thing next year too. Get hot during a stretch of the season, tells us it’s his year while being being an arrogant ass hat and then gagging when it’s playoff time. Rinse and Repeat

Why not suspend Heim for Daytona 2024, not give a waiver, and wreck his entire season before it even starts?
If suspension was good enough for Matt Kenseth, it's good enough for Corey Heim. Toss Carson Hocevar in there too, while they're at it. Explictly state in the rules that a suspension for actions on track is not eligible for a waiver. Drop the hammer a few times and drivers won't pull this crap as often.

You’re kidding me. Corey Heim was intentionally taken out in a championship race and collected him on a turn. Chase hooked someone down a fast front stretch
I contend that Heim getting taken was an accident. Piss poor driving? Yes. Intentional? I don't think so.

Wow. This is THE most off-base comment I've seen probably ever on this forum.

Corey Heim didn't hook Carson Hocevar. You've been in racing long enough to know there's a HUGE difference between pushing someone up the track into the wall and rooking them in the right rear. A RR hook is dangerous, it's a malignant foul, it's a cardinal sin in racing.

Also, you can't talk about Corey Heim's payback and say it's the most egregious thing and NOT address Carson Hocevar wrecking Heim. Taking a competitor out of a championship race is dirty. It's bush league 🐂💩 that only happens in things like ARCA and short track racing. And even most short track racers wouldn't wreck a man to win a championship.

The reason I don't root for Sam Mayer is because he wrecked a competitor to win a championship. And I'll defend Scott Speed until the day I die for retaliating at Toledo when Ricky Stenhouse took him out, on purpose, to win the championship.

If suspension was good enough for Matt Kenseth, it's good enough for Corey Heim. Toss Carson Hocevar in there too, while they're at it. Explictly state in the rules that a suspension for actions on track is not eligible for a waiver. Drop the hammer a few times and drivers won't pull this crap as often.

Matt Kenseth was not a playoff driver when he wrecked Joey Logano. That was the reason for the suspension and NASCAR made that crystal clear.

There is no justification for suspending Corey Heim. Denny Hamlin didn't get suspended for doing the same thing to Kyle Larson at Pocono, or Ross Chastain (in an act of retaliation) the year before.

Corey Heim WAS a playoff driver. He got wrecked by a playoff driver, so he retaliated against said playoff driver. Personally, I think the Hocevar incident isn't fair game, but NASCAR does. The act of retaliation is also fair game.

Any racer would do the same thing Heim did. Every single driver in the Cup garage, if they got wrecked in the final by another final four driver, they would go back out (if they can) and take them out.

I just don't understand why everyone thinks what Carson Hocevar did was okay.

Hocevar has been a dirty asf his entire Truck Series career (and was in Pro Late Models too, BTW). He took it so far as to turn another driver racing for a championship. And it cost him the championship. Hopefully, that kid will mature when he gets to Cup and think big picture racing and not lose his cool anytime he can't pass someone or someone races him "too hard" or runs side-by-side for "too long."

Hopefully, that kid will mature when he gets to Cup and think big picture racing and not lose his cool anytime he can't pass someone or someone races him "too hard" or runs side-by-side for "too long."
Which reminds me, a -very-, =very= tiny Honorable Mention to Ryan Blaney for losing sight of the Big Picture at Phoenix and trying to give Ross Chastain an excuse to swap sheet metal.

Wow. This is THE most off-base comment I've seen probably ever on this forum.

Corey Heim didn't hook Carson Hocevar. You've been in racing long enough to know there's a HUGE difference between pushing someone up the track into the wall and rooking them in the right rear. A RR hook is dangerous, it's a malignant foul, it's a cardinal sin in racing.

Also, you can't talk about Corey Heim's payback and say it's the most egregious thing and NOT address Carson Hocevar wrecking Heim. Taking a competitor out of a championship race is dirty. It's bush league 🐂💩 that only happens in things like ARCA and short track racing. And even most short track racers wouldn't wreck a man to win a championship.

The reason I don't root for Sam Mayer is because he wrecked a competitor to win a championship. And I'll defend Scott Speed until the day I die for retaliating at Toledo when Ricky Stenhouse took him out, on purpose, to win the championship.
Look, I'm not defending the actions of ANY of the drivers mentioned, except that I still don't think Hocevar meant to wreck Heim, but when you have a bad reputation, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. My whole point was simply that the punishments for these incidents have not been the same, which means that it has been the OPINION of somebody at NASCAR what the penalty should be. Maybe they get it right, maybe they don't but do you want to arbitrarily sink a driver's entire season because of an opinion? As much as a non-fan of the waiver system as I am, if you disallow a waiver for a suspension, in many cases you are going to do just that.

Look, I'm not defending the actions of ANY of the drivers mentioned, except that I still don't think Hocevar meant to wreck Heim, but when you have a bad reputation, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. My whole point was simply that the punishments for these incidents have not been the same, which means that it has been the OPINION of somebody at NASCAR what the penalty should be. Maybe they get it right, maybe they don't but do you want to arbitrarily sink a driver's entire season because of an opinion? As much as a non-fan of the waiver system as I am, if you disallow a waiver for a suspension, in many cases you are going to do just that.

NASCAR's been consistent about the RR hook = 1 race suspension. Because they caved to the social media mob and suspended Bubba Wallace for that (instead of the totality of the incident), they're in a position where they have to enforce that every time.

It's a box they put themselves in with that incident. I think Bubba Wallace should've been suspended, but I think NASCAR should've suspended him for the totality of the wreck: The RR hook and the unprovoked physical assault. Once they said it was for the hook, they had to suspend Chase Elliott at Charlotte.

If Heim had either hooked Hocevar or if Heim wasn't a playoff driver, he's suspended for a race or two.

The precedent set by the Matt Kenseth Rule was that a non-playoff driver couldn't blatantly wreck a playoff driver. Once again, the Kenseth/Logano incident was unprecedented and had to be penalized. Not to mention, with the playoff format, you have to protect those guys.

With my playoffs next year, since it's a smaller track and we often have smaller fields, I'm ONLY going to have the playoff drivers on track during those races.

Which reminds me, a -very-, =very= tiny Honorable Mention to Ryan Blaney for losing sight of the Big Picture at Phoenix and trying to give Ross Chastain an excuse to swap sheet metal.
Tbf he probably, like most championship 4 drivers every year, didn't think anyone would be willing to actually race him. It WOULD be f'in Ross that finally did and beat them though. :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :rolleyes: 🤪

IDK, between Bell in the wall and on fire, and the Blaney Penske show with Penske talking him off the ledge while he was hammering away at Chastain's fender, I thought those were some of the the highlights of the race lol.

I fully expect Dennis to do the same thing next year too. Get hot during a stretch of the season, tells us it’s his year while being being an arrogant ass hat and then gagging when it’s playoff time. Rinse and Repeat
Could you please tell me when he said it was his year?.....arrogant ass hat....gagging....I kind of get.

Back
Top Bottom