2023 Hy-Vee INDYCAR Race Weekend at Iowa

The new pit lane suite is a bit obnoxious…big seller, though. Looks like the substantial discount offered last week helped fill out the permanent grandstand seating. 120+ suites filled on top of that.

Three stories? How much of the view of the back stretch is blocked from the grandstand seats?

Three stories? How much of the view of the back stretch is blocked from the grandstand seats?
This was taken during ARCA last week…you lose the entrance to turn 3/end of the back straight. They’re adding video boards in turns 2 and 4 to try to make up, but…

1689972693336.png

How long has that infield suite been there? Were those who bought grandstand tickets already aware it was there or was it a late addition? I’d be kind of angry if I bought tickets in advance, only to find that this thing was built and now partially blocking my view.

How long has that infield suite been there? Were those who bought grandstand tickets already aware it was there or was it a late addition? I’d be kind of angry if I bought tickets in advance, only to find that this thing was built and now partially blocking my view.
It’s new for this year, but I’m not sure when it was announced. I only first saw it last week. I don’t think it’s terrible or even necessarily bad - you should be able to see most of the track no matter what at Iowa - but I would certainly be a bit miffed if I bought tickets over there and there was an unexpected obstruction come race day.

It’s new for this year, but I’m not sure when it was announced. I only first saw it last week. I don’t think it’s terrible or even necessarily bad - you should be able to see most of the track no matter what at Iowa - but I would certainly be a bit miffed if I bought tickets over there and there was an unexpected obstruction come race day.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway has one in the the infield that's huge but it's positioned dead center of the s/f line so it doesn't obstruct the view of the turns. You can also get high enough in the stands to not have it be in your view at all. Having a similar structure on a 3/4th mile track like Iowa makes no sense

Some people will not be stopped by a loose wheel nut

The tire wear here is just massive. 2.5 seconds over a run at a 7/8ths mile track.

The Penskes have put on a heck of a show up front so far.

Just pointing out that while Graham Rahal has been a consistentish top ten guy and has won in Indycar, there's no talk about him being with Andretti or Ganassi that I've heard all year.

This is going by pretty quickly and they only had a two-hour TV window. They have three hours and more pre-race time tomorrow but plenty leftover to add back the 50 laps they cut off from last year. Should make the Sunday feature longer again in 2024 for sure.

Newgarden is obscene at short ovals. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him win the last two and sweep the whole oval schedule.

Starts P7 tomorrow so will have to work a bit more for it.

With Alex Palou, I know the quality of the drivers around him much more strongly than I do Max Verstappen and the F1 grid of 2023. Sounds weird, but I would happily explain further. Point is, I also know Palou is in a spec chassis and is managing, once again against grown, experienced, professional racing drivers, that he is exceptionally good. If he never gets a shot in F1, it isn't because he hasn't shown himself to be capable of racing there. It's because F1 has mutated in ways that will ultimately bring it down from the lofty heights they are achieving.

Newgarden would’ve put up Richard Petty numbers in the IRL. Dude is unreal on ovals.

Fun race again, crazy that these guys can race wheel-to-wheel at these speeds and keep it so clean. This might be the best track in the series.

Big WTF to the 51 crew and race control for the loose wheel…several heads need a shake for that one.

With Alex Palou, I know the quality of the drivers around him much more strongly than I do Max Verstappen and the F1 grid of 2023. Sounds weird, but I would happily explain further. Point is, I also know Palou is in a spec chassis and is managing, once again against grown, experienced, professional racing drivers, that he is exceptionally good. If he never gets a shot in F1, it isn't because he hasn't shown himself to be capable of racing there. It's because F1 has mutated in ways that will ultimately bring it down from the lofty heights they are achieving.
Palou is having the season that I was expecting (not wanting, but expecting) Pato to have.

I will say this, Josef could make a case for being one of the greatest oval drivers ever. 5 consecutive oval wins is pretty wild

Josef is pretty much everything Indycar allegedly needs for a return to relevance, but obviously he alone is not capable of doing that without appreciable lifting from promotional partners and people with enormous checkbooks. He won't win the title this year but he's practically assured to finish second in points with a goodly number of wins including The One That Really Counts. Could be a lot worse for him.

Josef is pretty much everything Indycar allegedly needs for a return to relevance, but obviously he alone is not capable of doing that without appreciable lifting from promotional partners and people with enormous checkbooks. He won't win the title this year but he's practically assured to finish second in points with a goodly number of wins including The One That Really Counts. Could be a lot worse for him.
IndyCar has to find a pathway for WoO stars to enter the series as it was back in the day. NASCAR winning all the young grassroots stars is still the one thing that holds IndyCar back.

Back
Top Bottom