2023 Misc. sports car racing

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
This won’t race until 2024 but this is pretty amazing, Honda are using the Civic Type R to replace the NSX Type S as their Super GT GT500 model.

Contrary to the initial announcement, GT Masters will not compete with the Prototype Cup and Platinum drivers will still be allowed to run in the series. Only 4 races will be support races for DTM, there will be one standalone event and a companion race with the Truck race at the Nürburgring.

TV partner TBA

Maro Engel set a Bathurst qualifying record with a 2:00.8 last night, might not be long before a restricted GT3 breaks the track’s 2:00 barrier.

12 Hour kicks off in about an hour. Modest entry count in its first year back in its normal calendar slot and with a pro class in three years but still about 10-12 cars who could win.

Pretty good weekend for some Indy NXT drivers with Kyffin Simpson (Algarve Pro) and Nolan Siegel (Inter Europol) splitting the twin 4H of Dubai Asian Le Mans Series races this past weekend. Both showed good speed, especially Siegel, who was hounding Neel Jani before a mechanical failure Saturday and made the race-winning pass Sunday.

N*k*ta Mazep*n resorted to his usual tactics in the lead battle at the AsLMS finale at Abu Dhabi yesterday. Leclerc was right when he said he’ll never change.

Fantastic race btw. Siegel and Inter Europol should’ve had another race win but the gearbox failed out of the lead with 15 minutes left.

Love that she said she was willing to throw it all away for a pass to win...

Good finish in the British GT opener at Oulton Park this morning as the top runners were on slick tires as the rain started to come down at the very end.

I feel like this can go here. Gran Turismo is getting a movie.

Trailer doesn't look bad, typical Rocky style it looks like underdog fights to make it.

I feel like this can go here. Gran Turismo is getting a movie.

Trailer doesn't look bad, typical Rocky style it looks like underdog fights to make it.

Mardenborough made a pretty solid career out of it, there were a couple of other GT Academy graduates that had respectable careers. Will probably be dramatized a good bit by the looks of it but could be very interesting. Kind of a prelude to all of the iRacing and other racing esports that lead to real racers these days.

Had never paid much attention to this series before but British GT has had a good season so far.

DTM's third new era in four years will get underway in about 45 minutes.
While this boring ass track in Sachsen-Anhalt isn't a great venue for the start of the season, I'm happy to see they're focusing on the core market now. The field is looking good as well.

Super GT at Suzuka today.

Fortunately both drivers were okay, and it doesn’t sound like there were any marshal injuries either. Those GT500 cars are pretty much the quickest tintops on the planet now so it’s very fortunate that there were no major injuries. Not sure if Matsuda didn’t realize he was three-wide with a couple of GT300s or what.

After running as a national GT race the past few years, Macau has regained FIA GT World Cup status for the first time post-COVID.

Hate that F1 got this race moved up a month to a packed racing and holiday weekend, but the biggest GT race in the world, Spa 24, kicks off around 10 AM with a field of 70 GT3 cars.

The Nürburgring 24 will be a part of IGTC next year.
I don’t fully grasp what’s going on with the whole Nurburgring/ADAC/NLS split or whatever it is right now, so this seems like a good way to add some stability to the event. At any rate, a cup that includes endurance races at Bathurst, the Nurburgring, and Spa will be pretty damn special to win.

Vale wins at Misano today!

I’m actually starting up the replay right now. So stoked for the guy, especially to do it on home soil. I watched the race 1 replay yesterday and thought it was his best race yet, looked really confident and aggressive and made some great passes. He’s coming into his own nicely.

The Sunday DTM races the last two rounds on the Nürburgring sprint layout and Lausitzring were pretty damn good.

Gonna watch the Bathurst 1000 @FLRacingFan ?

I have forsaken v8 as of the last few years but this race is a classic. Warm up starts at 5PM eastern.

Gonna watch the Bathurst 1000 @FLRacingFan ?

I have forsaken v8 as of the last few years but this race is a classic. Warm up starts at 5PM eastern.
Gonna try to at least catch the back half. Kostecki has been the man to beat this season, took pole in the Shootout by almost half a second.

I have a ton of catching up to do on GT3 stuff once NASCAR is over.

BMW factory youngster Dan Harper went from 13th to 2nd on the final stint at Donington (great track) to steal the British GT championship. The final ~50 minutes also saw another young fsctory driver, Sandy Mitchell from Lamborghini, take the race win with a great pass down the Craner Curves.

Thomas Preining took the DTM title with a sweep at the Hockenheim finale.

Can’t overstate how critically important it is that they use this tool to get things right with regard to parity next year. You think NASCAR fans complain a lot until you follow Supercars this year.
get things right? is than an oxymoron or what? I've never had a problem with the balance of performance. The whiners never have a better solution than what is.

get things right? is than an oxymoron or what? I've never had a problem with the balance of performance. The whiners never have a better solution than what is.
Supercars doesn’t use BoP. It’s supposed to be like NASCAR, where the bodies are homologated and locked at the beginning of the year, but there’s a process where they can review parity based upon a an emergency “trigger” that’s tied to average lap times across a certain number of races, but the associated aero changes didn’t really take effect until late in the season. Ford won six out of twenty-eight races, four of which were consecutively to end the season. Excluding the opener, where they won after SVG got disqualified for a tech violation, they didn’t win at all until race #17. So the Camaro effectively won all but one of the first 24 races.

They didn’t get to adequately test before the season because of a bunch of production delays last year, and the standardized testing they did do was straight line running on airport runways. Australia doesn’t have a proper wind tunnel so that’s why they bought time at Windshear, so they can do a proper evaluation this offseason and hopefully lock the bodies in for good and have better parity throughout the season.

Supercars doesn’t use BoP. It’s supposed to be like NASCAR, where the bodies are homologated and locked at the beginning of the year, but there’s a process where they can review parity based upon a an emergency “trigger” that’s tied to average lap times across a certain number of races, but the associated aero changes didn’t really take effect until late in the season. Ford won six out of twenty-eight races, four of which were consecutively to end the season. Excluding the opener, where they won after SVG got disqualified for a tech violation, they didn’t win at all until race #17. So the Camaro effectively won all but one of the first 24 races.

They didn’t get to adequately test before the season because of a bunch of production delays last year, and the standardized testing they did do was straight line running on airport runways. Australia doesn’t have a proper wind tunnel so that’s why they bought time at Windshear, so they can do a proper evaluation this offseason and hopefully lock the bodies in for good and have better parity throughout the season.
So what. Nascar make exceptions mid season when an OEM body has shown to be at a disadvantage.

I’m not really sure why this needs to be an argument, so I’ll just say I’m glad they went to Windshear and hope they learned a lot.
I'm not arguing. I didn't state the obvious, didn't want to get into book writing. That series complications compared to Nascar is an understatement. What is common though are that changes are made in an ATTEMPT to even out the competition. But how much is too much and how much is too little will always be controversial in that series with so many different cars and teams and geography. That is my opinion anyway. The Mustang is going to be a bad ass race car. Ford has decided to enter into the fray with the rules and all that go with it.

I'm not arguing. I didn't state the obvious, didn't want to get into book writing. That series complications compared to Nascar is an understatement. What is common though are that changes are made in an ATTEMPT to even out the competition. But how much is too much and how much is too little will always be controversial in that series with so many different cars and teams and geography. That is my opinion anyway. The Mustang is going to be a bad ass race car. Ford has decided to enter into the fray with the rules and all that go with it.
The Mustang got dominated this past season and already pulled their ad dollars and support/safety vehicles from the series. Considering they’re the only manufacturer that supports the series in a factory capacity (GM leases the Camaro IP to Supercars and that’s it) I’m just of the opinion, as are many others, that they can’t afford another unbalanced season - or else Supercars is in the same predicament as IndyCar. Shipping those two cars from Australia to North Carolina is not cheap, nor are the wind tunnel hours, but it should be worth it. Glad they did it.

Back
Top Bottom