2024 24 Hours of Le Mans

2024 Le Mans Preview: Hypercar

2024 Le Mans Preview: LMP2

Le Mans: Test Day Finish Order Gallery

Le-Mans-2024-Test-Day-Finish-Order-17.jpg

My bad. That is the Proton and it appears to still be Fat Turbo. That's a bit of a different scheme for the Fat.

My bad. That is the Proton and it appears to still be Fat Turbo. That's a bit of a different scheme for the Fat.
Yep - the livery they ran the first few races this season was tribute to the 1994 Le Mans-winning Dauer 962. They went to highlighter green trim this week for the 1991 Rolex 24 winner Joest 962.

One-hour qualifying session is not enough, imo…although it was a fun session to watch, not long enough for a lap this long with as much traffic as there was. However, some really impressive performances, particularly BMW going provisional pole with Dries Vanthoor at the wheel. Also good to see one of the Proton Mustangs show speed and go quickest in LMGT3.

One-hour qualifying session is not enough, imo…although it was a fun session to watch, not long enough for a lap this long with as much traffic as there was. However, some really impressive performances, particularly BMW going provisional pole with Dries Vanthoor at the wheel. Also good to see one of the Proton Mustangs show speed and go quickest in LMGT3.

Didn't expect BMW to be even remotely competitive, but there it is. Also surprised Porsche isn't ahead. Utterly delighter the Caddy is showing some speed.

Didn't expect BMW to be even remotely competitive, but there it is. Also surprised Porsche isn't ahead. Utterly delighter the Caddy is showing some speed.
Think Porsche is still really good on race pace. Also cautiously optimistic about the Cadillacs. Derani was also set to put all three of them in Hyperpole with a huge flying lap of his own at the very end before getting balked by traffic.

Ilott just stuffed the #12 in the barriers at Tetre Rouge at the very end of night practice. Looks big.

Unless I missed one, all the hypercar manufactures except Isota and Peugeot made it into hyperpole qualifying. All eight cars are within 0.7 seconds. Lemans is roughly twice as long as all the other WEC courses, so over double the distance that's a fairly small margin.

It's also pretty sweet that the fastest Ferrari was the privateer car!

Still not super convinced they have the reliability for 24 hours, but they’ve been pretty quick this week and if they can do this during the race it could end up saving a stop or two.

Alpine is looking like a great dark horse. I hope they bring that car here next year too.
I think Porsche/Cadillac/Toyota/Ferrari are the pretty clear top four in any order, but BMW and Alpine are interesting sleepers for being in their first year here.

I think Porsche/Cadillac/Toyota/Ferrari are the pretty clear top four in any order, but BMW and Alpine are interesting sleepers for being in their first year here.
Lambo could spring a surprise too. They were on the lead lap at Sebring, so they are not that far off. If they can have a clean race, they could be in there at the end.

Penske taking pole for the Daytona 500, Indy 500, and Le Mans 24 in one calendar year is absolutely insane. Best race team on the planet right now.

The yellow Caddy has had so much bad luck the last two years that they are my favorites.

Stupid question time : Is this the year that the IMSA GTP and LMP2 cars
are homologated to the WEC Hypercars and their LMP2's ?

Stupid question time : Is this the year that the IMSA GTP and LMP2 cars
are homologated to the WEC Hypercars and their LMP2's ?
Yes, GTPs and Hypercars are out on track together. Action Express, Penske, and Ganassi have their respected GTPs in the field.

LMP2 is going to be movie:

Lots of heavy hitters. A pretty decent amount of rain forecasted for the back half of the race, so it’ll be interesting to see how LMP2/LMGT3 teams manage getting the bulk of their Am driver times in before the bad stuff.

P2 is a very sadly underrated class. Before hypercar, they were the only reason to watch WEC.

Back
Top Bottom