2024 Austrian Grand Prix

Crashtappen hasn’t been showing his true colors lately because no one has been able to touch him, but here’s your reminder of who he is.
Max's wheel to wheel manners have never been good.

Almost unnoticed is Ricciardo had a great race.

Alpine is going to have a bad time with their pair for the rest of the year.

Not really a penalty as it didn't cost him anything. Should have received a grid drop for the next race instead.

The penalty against Lando was total garbage. He gave the spot back.

Russell needed this one. When he won his first race I didn't think it'd take that long.
I am kind of sorta... maybe... on the fence with any more penalties for Max in this case.
My first inclination or thought was why not just pull his score card or force him to retire from the event. An eye for an eye, or DNF for a DNF

But F1 is already heavy handed with the officiating, not sure I would want to consent to them using anymore subjective powers. I am assuming the 10 second penalty at least has the the terms or protocol spelled out somewhere.

This was bound to happen unfortunately at the expense of Norris. Max will bulldog and block forever at least until he realizes it will be penalized.
We will see if it continues. Max is calculating and hopefully the penalty will force a correction.

Crashtappen hasn’t been showing his true colors lately because no one has been able to touch him, but here’s your reminder of who he is.
Seems like all of the F1 greats have a collection of monents where they became unhinged in wheel-to-wheel. Senna, Schumacher, Vettel, and Alonso have all had their fair share of moments like that as well. I guess I would say the only one who wasn’t really consistently like that that was Hamilton, who had to go to war with Alonso and Rosberg as teammates in addition to the 2021 title fight and managed to make the other the aggressor much more often. But I suppose that intensity is a huge part of what makes them great to begin with.

I was not very impressed with Norris’s racecraft either, the end result was Max’s fault for sure but I think Lando has a ways to go in wheel-to-wheel as well. The divebomb a few laps earlier where he went off track reeked of desperation. I was also really surprised he didn’t try to cover the inside at all when Max re-passed him for the lead in the sprint yesterday.

This was bound to happen unfortunately at the expense of Norris. Max will bulldog and block forever at least until he realizes it will be penalized.
We will see if it continues. Max is calculating and hopefully the penalty will force a correction.
The sad part is Max is good enough that he doesn't need to do these things, kind of like Senna, kind of like Schumacher.

The sad part is Max is good enough that he doesn't need to do these things, kind of like Senna, kind of like Schumacher.
I agree and I was thinking there was a possibility that he would justly force Lando to use up his tires before making the pass. At least until until causing the crash etc

I am kind of sorta... maybe... on the fence with any more penalties for Max in this case.
My first inclination or thought was why not just pull his score card or force him to retire from the event. An eye for an eye, or DNF for a DNF

But F1 is already heavy handed with the officiating, not sure I would want to consent to them using anymore subjective powers. I am assuming the 10 second penalty at least has the the terms or protocol spelled out somewhere.

Yeah I agree it's too late, you can't punish the same move twice.
A black flag (DSQ) would've be way too heavy handed imo. I honestly don't even remember the last time that has been handed out for an incident.

At the end of the day, this was a great race and story.

McLaren, and to a lesser extent Mercedes and Ferrari, are catching up to Red Bull.
An almost guaranteed win for Max is no longer on the table, or at least it is less likely to occur.
Max is having to really get on the wheel now, and there is some real drama for the win.

It is a great day for F1, even with a little controversy it sure beats a snoozer.

He's a piece of crap. Not only with wheel-to-wheel racing but he also doesn't respect team orders when given to him. I don't know why he has so many fans.

Unless I missed something egregious, Gasly and Ocon provided the best wheel to wheel we have seen all year. I'm sure the team could have been happier, but it was fun to watch. I don't know what Alpine does at this point., They can't keep letting them go after each other like that, even if this time it was pretty clean. They cost each other a lot of time by fighting each other.

Max is getting shredded on social media. After Senna and Schumacher, now F1 fans grow a conscious?
Lando is by far the most popular driver with the Drive to Survive crowd. Look no further than him getting voted Driver of the Day for no reason last week.

There are entire generations now whose perceptions of Schumacher and Senna are only based on documentaries and tribute material as well.

Unless I missed something egregious, Gasly and Ocon provided the best wheel to wheel we have seen all year. I'm sure the team could have been happier, but it was fun to watch. I don't know what Alpine does at this point., They can't keep letting them go after each other like that, even if this time it was pretty clean. They cost each other a lot of time by fighting each other.
They’re also rotating chassis each week for the time being because they have one updated chassis which is 6kg lighter than the originals. Interesting dynamics within that team.

Ocon is pretty cheeky himself on track, but ultimately entertaining and pretty solid. I hope he ends up at Haas next season.

The penalty against Lando was total garbage. He gave the spot back.
For that one incident, sure. but he already had two track limit violations. I think the penalty was more a result of that because like you said, he gave the place back.

All Max had to do was shadow Lando and he would have still won. With Lando set to get whacked 5 seconds, Max as much as just threw the race away.

The righteous indignation from the McLaren/Norris parties has been a bit much. Lando ran Max off the road at the start in Spain last week and Max pretty much laughed it off during the post-race presser.

The righteous indignation from the McLaren/Norris parties has been a bit much. Lando ran Max off the road at the start in Spain last week and Max pretty much laughed it off during the post-race presser.
If Lando has to drive dirty to run up front, maybe the problem is at the front.

Back
Top Bottom