2024 Hungarian Grand Prix

McLaren took the win away from Lando in Silverstone, they took another one away from him here.
If I were him I'd consider other options.
What's he going to do? Go to Williams or Sauber?

We don't know what the drivers agreed to, but in the end, they are employees. I feel for Lando, but they did hand him the better strategy. I also feel bad that Oscar had to win his first this way.

Now, Max? It was like listening to Bevis and Butthead. There can no longer be any doubt about how patient Horner can be. Seems like he spent the whole race trying to calm Max down. I can't believe that didn't break the car or at least make it all wonky.

Lots of odd dynamics within that team, man. Max has said some stuff this weekend in which the message was essentially that some people within the team need to wake up and get serious.
Maybe if Max stopped giving Lewis the punt he'de create a few less issues for himself.

McLaren really bottled this 1-2.

Piastri should have pitted first that last stop. I have no clue how they managed to mess this up this badly.
A team that hasn’t had consistent race-winning pace in many years figuring out how to manage races from the front for the first time. They’ve struggled mightily at every sign of adversity so far in that respect.

What do you mean? Piastri got a better start, drove move away from everyone and got undercut by his own team.

Lando didn’t earn that P1 on merit.
Undercut with Piastri, giving Norris a chance to overcut if he can lap quickly enough, and let them fight to the finish, imo.

I see it differently.

McLaren is really trying the Red Bull 1 man show with Lando.
They pretty much gave up every ambition to win the 2024 drivers championship today. 69 points wouldn't have been a gap that's impossible to close in 11 races.
What's he going to do? Go to Williams or Sauber?

We don't know what the drivers agreed to, but in the end, they are employees. I feel for Lando, but they did hand him the better strategy. I also feel bad that Oscar had to win his first this way.
Red Bull and Mercedes have spots available. They did hand him the better strategy but sometimes that's just how it plays out.

Impressive how quickly Max calmed down and gave a decent interview. Also amazing how Lando did it too.

McLaren took the win away from Lando in Silverstone, they took another one away from him here.
If I were him I'd consider other options.
He messed up the start and Oscar out raced him sans Oscar's minor mistakes in this race.

There is nowhere else for Lando to go, McLaren is his only option at this point.

It's coming through so muffled that I can't decipher what anyone is saying, but at least Lando was laughing about it.

There are sooo many different ways McLaren could’ve managed this differently that would’ve avoided controversy. It’s a shame there’s gonna be a cloud hanging over this one.

Maybe if Max stopped giving Lewis the punt he'de create a few less issues for himself.
When was the last time he got into it with Lewis before this? That team has had stuff festering for months and it’s starting to come to a head. They’ve declined in pace rapidly and their strategy today did Max no favors.

When was the last time he got into it with Lewis before this? That team has had stuff festering for months and it’s starting to come to a head. They’ve declined in pace rapidly and their strategy today did Max no favors.
Max's racecraft still suffers when he doesn't have the fastest car outright.

They pretty much gave up every ambition to win the 2024 drivers championship today. 69 points wouldn't have been a gap that's impossible to close in 11 races.
76 points with eleven races and three Sprints is honestly plenty, especially given their apparent pace advantage now. I think Lando will be within striking distance by Mexico.

Max's racecraft still suffers when he doesn't have the fastest car outright.
I agree but that’s pretty low on their list of issues right now. And quite frankly, he’s going to need to stay aggressive to keep ahead of Norris in the championship.

Lando has a lot of maturing to do:

Lewis was complementing the duo and their car, Lando then turns it into a pissing match.

I'd question Lando's motivation if he wasn't pissed.
A race car driver ought to be pissed when he finishes 2nd imo, unless it's their first podium ever or the first one in a long time.
Lando could've won the last four races but didn't win any. How is he supposed not to be pissed?
76 points with eleven races and three Sprints is honestly plenty, especially given their apparent pace advantage now. I think Lando will be within striking distance by Mexico.
Before this race I completely dismissed the idea of anyone being able to catch Max in the drivers' standing but now I'm not so sure anymore. RedBull brought upgrades to the Hungaroring but yet McLaren is even further out front.
There could still be tracks where Max has the edge but I can see Lando getting there now.
If he loses the championship by 6 points he and his team know where he lost them.

When was the last time he got into it with Lewis before this?
Jedda 21, I believe., but that was the third time they got together that year. Since then Lewis has not had a good car and Max has had the dominant one, so they were never around each other. Now that they are roughly the same speed, well, what did we think was going to happen?

That team has had stuff festering for months and it’s starting to come to a head. They’ve declined in pace rapidly and their strategy today did Max no favors.
Max just capped it off with a mistake. Still it was a bit of a disaster, so 5th place was not really a bad result considering. He really should have been out on the spot as hard as that car landed.

Christian sure had his hands full today. I can imagine Jos is probably being pain right now too.

I'd question Lando's motivation if he wasn't pissed.
A race car driver ought to be pissed when he finishes 2nd imo, unless it's their first podium ever or the first one in a long time.
Lando could've won the last four races but didn't win any. How is he supposed not to be pissed?
Understand being pissed about how the race unfolded, but no need to snark one of the most gentlemanly drivers in the series when he’s trying to small talk and compliment you after the race.

I agree that Max could’ve been a lot more civil today himself.

Max just capped it off with a mistake. Still it was a bit of a disaster, so 5th place was not really a bad result considering. He really should have been out on the spot as hard as that car landed.

Christian sure had his hands full today. I can imagine Jos is probably being pain right now too.
I’m pretty shocked the car survived that landing too. That was wild.

That team needs an adult and without Dietrich and Newey they don’t really have one anymore. Horner, Marko, Max, and Jos resemble more of an asylum than anything else. Max has had a lot worse races than today and never been that pissed before, so I’d say there’s still quite a bit going on behind the scenes. And the car development is just not good.

Max has had a lot worse races than today and never been that pissed before,
I think the pressure might be getting to him a little. No one has pressured him for two years now.

so I’d say there’s still quite a bit going on behind the scenes. And the car development is just not good.
Anyone think Newey's gardening leave isn't hurting the team? Newey gave them the keys to the most dominant car in history and look how that dominance vanished.

Impressive how quickly Max calmed down and gave a decent interview. Also amazing how Lando did it too.

He blamed Hamilton in the stewards meeting while Hamilton said it was just a racing incident. Then goes on to do interviews further blaming him.

Max is a pos.

He blamed Hamilton in the stewards meeting while Hamilton said it was just a racing incident. Then goes on to do interviews further blaming him.

Max is a pos.
We must have gotten different feeds. Max was quite calm on F1pro.

Horner really had his hands full today. It sounded like Max lost his mind over having to give a place back after the start and never got his head back in the game.

Back
Top Bottom