2024 Nashville Indycar

Hotrod

2022 RFFL Champion
1725968561151.png

Top 3 in points :
Alex Palou - 525 pts
Will Power - 492 pts
Scott McLaughlin - 475 pts

What a piss pour weekend for this event. Ayyyy this sucks for Indycar.
I don’t know, with the way much of this season went, there would be something oddly appropriate with the championship airing at 4 PM ET on a random Monday on USA and Peacock.

At least with the revised schedule format next year, you could just finish on Labor Day proper in the event of a postponement.

Just me, but I'd prefer it be delayed.

Given the choice between IndyCar on an oval and Cup at Watkins Glen, I'll go with the road course offering every time. A rain delay at Nashville greatly reduces the chance I'll learn who won before I get a chance to watch it. The Gerbils would spill the beans during the Cup broadcast as soon as the Indy checkers drop.

Indycar is a live viewing for me over any NASCAR race. NASCAR will be recorded so I can speed through all the yellows, and stages and commercials, etc.
This is usually my preferred method when there’s a conflict too. Although Watkins Glen is usually the shortest race on the Cup calendar; I think it was a touch under 2 hours last year.

Sunday evening/night is starting to look better.

Indycar is a live viewing for me over any NASCAR race. NASCAR will be recorded so I can speed through all the yellows, and stages and commercials, etc.
I prefer the other way around. I like the chats here during the Cup races, which usually have more participants than the Indy ones (although the Indy ones are usually more cordial and don't take things too seriously).

Weekend schedule: (lots of music, I think I counted 14 bands)
Looking good to get some track activity in today. If push comes to shove they’ll prioritize practices over qualifying, it being a new track and having two tire compounds this weekend.

One would think that would have been noticed before today.
Must’ve been okay during tire testing but it doesn’t look insignificant from the onboards when they go over it. I think the biggest worry would be a big bobble when racing side-by-side causing a big multi-car crash.

Kirkwood takes pole, Power P4. A little drama for the championship leader as Palou was bogged down in P15 and has a nine-place engine penalty to fall down to P24.

Kirkwood takes pole, Power P4. A little drama for the championship leader as Palou was bogged down in P15 and has a nine-place engine penalty to fall down to P24.
If my math is correct Palou has to finish 12th or higher to win the championship no matter what Power does.
Seems doable but a crash can always happen during a superspeedway race.
I was surprised to see they're not running the superspeedway aero. The Top 15 cars in quali had no off-throttle time so I'd expect them to be in a pack for most of the race.

Shame this season is ending already. There was a mid-season slump but Gateway and Milwaukee were freaking awesome, especially after the disappointment that was Iowa.

I don't want a Penske to win the championship but in fairness it's incredible they still have a driver in contention after the amount of self-destruction they have done this season.
Penske could have finished 1-2-3 most races.

I don't get Peacock, so I don't what is happening. Are they going to run the thing tonight or tomorrow, and what channel will it be on?

I don't get Peacock, so I don't what is happening. Are they going to run the thing tonight or tomorrow, and what channel will it be on?
Weather looks great for tomorrow now. Should be good for 3 PM ET on NBC.

Still trying to dry the track for high line practice and final practice right now I think?

Palou has been having a few weeks of hell.

Out of all the time to have fuck shit happening to him, now it’s when it happens. Oof

Yeah that’s killer.

Just can’t believe that would happen in this moment, of all the times for it to occur.

5 laps down just like that.

He’s gonna need a DNF race from Palou now.

Blowing a tire here has to be pretty scary.

Iirc they struggled to figure out the tires on the concrete surface back when the IRL raced here too.

The last 60 or so laps after the final yellow were awfully racey, wow. I think if they get the weather to cooperate next year and rubber the track in more they’ll have a great event on their hands.

Some fantastic slicing and dicing among the top five in that final stint.

Palou has three titles in four seasons of driving top-level equipment, and is only 27. I think there will still be a lingering chance of him going to F1 at some point in the next few years, but if not it’s frightening to think of how decorated his IndyCar career can be.

Herta finally harnessed his talent post-Detroit and didn’t throw races away in his usual manner. If his crew cooperates he’s ready to win a championship in 2025.

I was really glad for Herta getting his first oval win in his hometown.
It was a great pass and he jumped up to runner up in the championship.
Power losing seatbelts is really bizarre. He seemed in good spirits though
after the race and had a strong season. My hope is Newgarden figures out
a plan for a better season next year so he can give Palou a run for his money.

Can't say the ovals at the end of the season didn't deliver by and large. This was a solid race with overtaking and not a lot of dumb cautions (unlike the street circuit). This was a transition year for Indycar as they get ready to move over to Fox and have bolstered the oval racing segment of the calendar by adding two events, and to that end, it seems like the major issues for 2024 (Honda and Firestone's future participation, TV deal) have been dealt with and they can start really strategizing the next few years of activity.

Back
Top Bottom