2025 IndyCar News / Misc

St. Pete and Detroit were both revived and reimagined and have done fine since. Edmonton also got some decent run.
I thought St. Pete was older than that. My mistake.

Detroit should have been left on Belle Isle. I can usually ignore the background scenery but the current circuit runs through some truly unattractive vistas. Overlooking that, I don't think it's as entertaining a race.

I thought St. Pete was older than that. My mistake.

Detroit should have been left on Belle Isle. I can usually ignore the background scenery but the current circuit runs through some truly unattractive vistas. Overlooking that, I don't think it's as entertaining a race.
St. Pete, like Detroit, can trace some lineage back to Trans-Am headliners in the 80’s and 90’s. But it was revived as an IndyCar event in the mid-2000’s. I’d say that one has actually become one of the marquee events on the calendar.

GM is moving out of the Ren. Cen. for a new HQ location about a mile away next year. Not sure how that’ll affect the race from 2026-onwards, but I definitely wouldn’t rule out another layout change.

I’m always jealous of your even keeled and well informed responses in the Indy Car threads ha ha, this is all well put, im usually emotional and first thought post kind of member. I just wish the series raced at 1-2 more ovals a year with not such big a gap in the start to the season, it’s a huge disservice that the first oval of the year is The 500. TMS slotted in so perfectly as an appetizer for the fans and casuals to May. It’s a shame we’re probably not getting TMS back anytime soon.
I’m with you, and would love to see them continue to race at Texas since they finally figured out the new surface after several years of trying. I have the same desire for a Chicagoland or Homestead type, with a cheese grater surface that would allow for good wheel-to-wheel without becoming a dangerous pack race. But there are some unfortunate realities when it comes to the economics and logistics of such events, not the least of which is who mostly owns those tracks now.

Back
Top Bottom