24-hour Cup race?

I don't think anyone in IMSA wants Cup cars out their throwing their weight around, literally.

Same problem.

Yeah, if the higher ups in IMSA won't go for it, then they won't go for it.

From a fan pov I think it would be really cool to see though, and I would personally enjoy them throwing their weight around with the other cars, as long as there is penalties in place. The amount of NASCAR people they had there this year, seems a natural progression, obviously a much bigger leap. Maybe remove LMP2 :eek: and replace them with 4 Cup cars top 16 driver's in the sport. I view it as a melting pot of cars and drivers.

Personally I would love it..

..but considering the amount of "fans" who already complain the races are too long I'm thinking it wouldn't go over well. They have issues turning in for a 500 mile race and you want them to pay attention for a whole day? Ha!
Sliced is right....

6-hour or 8-hour race seems like an interesting experiment to me (I wouldn't want to see the tire bill for a 24-hour NASCAR race). The Coke 600 is still a good race, but it certainly has lost a lot of its 'endurance' aspect (at least mechanically) over the past several years as equipment continues to improve and the race itself has been broken up into quarters like a basketball game. I'd say two drivers per entry and no stage cautions for this one. Run it at Daytona since the lights are already set up for it.

Back in the day a car three or four laps ahead, the question always was did he push it too hard and is he going to blow up so there was some entertainment value and suspense. It takes a 24 hour race to do something similar these days. A four or five hundred mile race now is thought of as a sprint and drivers need to drive it like they are on fire, no mid race lulls the way it is set up now.

8AM to 8PM. The 12 Hours Of Daytona Nascar Road Course. Sounds good to me.
If your going to only do 12 hrs, then use the same car and driver for the whole race.
After all truck drivers do it every day. :D

Why not run all of the top three series on the track at the same time. That would be interesting to watch.

That would be a spectacle, so count me in!

Probably gotta match bumper heights/contact points. Need successful tests on engines, drive trains and tires, etc — or risk high attrition.

Home ROVAL track of Charlotte might ease pain of this experimental race.

But, at least there are NASCAR team owners who have extensive experience in this form of racing.

That would be a spectacle, so count me in!

Probably gotta match bumper heights/contact points. Need successful tests on engines, drive trains and tires, etc — or risk high attrition.

I good with getting the bumpers lined up but No tests. Just run it. Watching cars loose an engine, have this or that issue would add to the drama. I'd love to see all three series out there in a points race for each series. That way no one would get out of some other driver's way who was in a higher class if they were racing another car within their own series. It would be something!

Back
Top Bottom