24 Hours of Daytona

M

MikeSfromVA

Some of the Nascar drivers had good qualifying. A little sparse on the big names like in the past, it has some returners. K. Petty, K. LePage, L. Norick, R. Carelli, J. Metcalfe, C. Fittipaldi, and of course B. Said. A Ford Prototype has the pole, but I'm going to root for the Haywood, S. Goodyear, S. Sharp prototype team. Good drivers in that team.

To me this race is the start of the season......finally!

ME too can't wait untill the race starts today!! Kyle is best in class for quailfiyng and 13th over all. Thats pretty good for the class he is racing in. They New Daytona Prototyes cars look like modifed VW bugs?

they look pretty amazing to me :) Whats crazy is that all 4 classes are all aboutthe same speed. A GTS car is on the pole, the Bell Motorsports Corvette, not the ford prototype, the DP car are just leading the field :) Should be the best 24 ever :D

Oooops forgot Derrick Cope was in it, Kyle looked a little loosey Goosey, luv the look of the 40 corvette. Guess the closed ****pits of the DP's are neccessary after the tragedy last year in Grand Am, but curious why the SRP II's are not.

they renforced and stiffened the srp II's roll cage and that is all they felt they needed.

the the 98 gt car has the lead, that is crazy to see a basic gt3 car wheel to wheel with a prototype

This is a pretty cool race. i love the fact that there is not a huge speed diffrence like in the past. I wish the DP car that Boris was driving would have lasted longer.

OH MY they have a masust(sp) in the pit of one of the teams!!!

Once KP got in the car they moved up fro 30th or so to 24h!!

Good to see the parity, lot of the front runners are running close in time. Reliability will show thru the nite. Whats with the tires blowing??? Goodyear slipping?, or are teams taking Camber lessons from certain Nascar Teams?

Almost expect to see Dennis Setzer jump into the 46 Axciom car.

Does that team have any assoication with the 46 truck team? I don't think Axciom is the sponsor on the 46 truck any more.

What happened to the Mustangs this year? Only 45 entries too, i can remember when there were usually over 60. I just got up and it is 4:45am Mt time , only 24 cars are left. Pettys' ride is in 8th right now not too shabby, Carellis' corvette is out ,but not sure if it is coming back. As for the tire thing, yeh they were agressive with the camber at the begining of the race.

Race is on Speed Channel. They had coverage from 1pm til 9pm EST yesterday, then picked up again 6 am EST this AM and will go to finish.

PB as far as I know Morgan dollar is still associated with Setzer

On car count, I imagine the rules change scared some teams off, Dyson being one of them.

KP's team looking good, anyone think that Ford DP can catch the 66 Porsche GT???? And for anyone who thinks Sports Car racing is not interesting, you missed a wicked roll over by the 66's team member cars the 68. Driver ok

Thanks. I found the race on sppedchannel right after I asked the question, but I can't figure out who's team Kyle Petty is on. Can anyone tell me?

KP is on the Orbit Racing Porsche GT3 car, I think currently they are in 6th

The bulletproof prosches are starting to show there muscles, nice to see the ferraris have a chance to finish a race :)

What a great race!!! Congrats to the GT cars for putting all GT cars on the podium!!. KP had a nice litte slide in the kink, good save, well he saved it from getting burried in the tire wall.

great race indeed, should have seen it comin with the gt cars, slow and steady wins the race :) once again the 911 proves that you can throw it off a cliff and it will still keep going and going. If it weren't for petrol refills the thing would never stop:) petty should see if he can drive that gt car in the 500, hehe, probally wouldn't get too far before nascar noticed :D

I don't think it would meet the common templates very much. When Ever KP does retire I think it would be great to see him do soem sport car races everyonce in a while. A few American Lemas races a year would be cool.

Well now that Daytonas over I cant wait for the 24 hours of Rockingham but my favorite will be the 24 hours at Bristol!

Kel

I don't mind this race, it just seems to take ALL DAY to run it...

I heard on the news that whoever won it won by 9 laps. How is that great racing? I'm really curious.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
I don't mind this race, it just seems to take  ALL DAY to run it...

I heard on the news that whoever won it won by 9 laps.  How is that great racing?  I'm really curious.

The team made it through a 24 hour race with absolutely nothing going wrong. They ran a great race and capitalized on mistakes made by other teams. It was pretty anticlimatic compared to some races, but overall, it was a great race.

Originally posted by racerx11
The team made it through a 24 hour race with absolutely nothing going wrong.

Thats right, to push it that hard for 24 hours is amazing. Love it when they say "if they could have kept out of troubles yesterday", petty awsome to wake up to the same race u have been watching all yesterday :) Design is critical for keeping your car out of the pits and when its in, minimize the time. Just like the dominate Audis of lemans, they could change a transaxel in about 10 min, thats amazing

Teh winnign car's sister cars both were involved in wrecks. One hit a car head on after the other one spun facing the wrong way. The the other sister car spun and hit a gaurd rail, then fliped.

Juts about every car had some major problem. Even thought he won by 9 laps that is a very close race from when the faster cars ran last year and the years before.
Yes he won by 9 laps but there still was alot of passing and good racing even if it was not for a spot.

9 laps on a 24 Hour race can be eaten up very quickly on a lead car if something goes wrong with that car. Evidence by the GTS class race between the 46 corvette and 24 Mosler car near the end, the 46 car had a differential problem, your local garage mechanic would be amazed how fast they changed the gear, but it was enuff for the Mosler to contend, the Mosler was about 12 laps down in the last 2 hours. The Dyson teams used to take incredible leads in 24 hour Daytonas, then lose them in the last few hours.

Endurance racing is a different racing in itself, an art in other, competition comes in different forms.

Yeh it is a cool way to kick off Speedweeks i think. I watched about 5 hours of it between sat. and sun. I noticed an absence of Vipers, what was up with the Chrylers not showing up? Also not very many Mustangs either?

Back
Top Bottom