24 Hours of LeMons

F

foehammer111

Did anyone go to the 24 Hours of LeMons @ Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend? Looks like the White Lighting Mazda RX-7 won a couple laps ahead of the Lightning McQueen Volkswagen Jetta.

I really wish they did something like this near me, or at least televised it on SPEED. But no, we get Pimp My Ride and Wrecked instead. :confused:

This is infinately more fun and exciting than anything happening in any stick and ball sport.

500x_LSF09-Winner-500px.jpg

Here's a video of the Torqueless Rotards RX-7 losing a tire, and flipping over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcfqH4W2DpY&feature=player_embedded

I heard they don't even run for 24 hours during their events, so why do they call it 24 Hours of LeMons? I guess its just to copy the LeMans race name.

I heard they don't even run for 24 hours during their events, so why do they call it 24 Hours of LeMons? I guess its just to copy the LeMans race name.

No, they do run 24 hours. Just not in one-go.

Instead, they do 2 12-hour segments over 2 days. Both because of driver fatigue, but also so they can do minor repairs to the cars overnight. But once a year they will do a straight 24-hour race. Needless to say most cars are lucky to be running at all after a straight 24 hours. That's what this series is all about: pushing $500 cars beyond their breaking point.

I really like the their creative rulebook. If you're being too aggressive one of the penalties they can impose is to have the so called "Grille of Damocles" attached to your car. This is a metal plate covered in spikes that points inward to the radiator. If you make any front-end contact with another car, the spikes will turn the radiator into Swiss cheese. I think Kyle Busch needs one of these permenantly attached to the front of his car. :D

Per Section 6.3 of the rulebook:
Why Am I Upside-Down? Rule: You're upside-down because you have no business being out on a racetrack. Any driver who puts a car on its roof is out for the rest of the season, beginning immediately. Any car that rolls during a race will be removed from the race.

Oh, and the race winner is paid their $1500 in nickels.

Check out their website. Especially the FAQ and Rulebook for a good hoot. I think a lot of these rules should apply to NASCAR! :beerbang:

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Here's my favorite part of the FAQ:
WILL MY TEAM GET ACCEPTED?
Maybe. Maybe not. We usually get more applications than each racetrack can handle, so we have to pick and choose. Boring applications like "We are four guys who love to race, and we have done (blah blah blah) driving before" don't give us too much to work with: You might get in, and you might not. Applications like "Choose us, because we'll wear beaver costumes in the paddock and our car is entirely coated in birch bark" give you much better odds.

:XXROFL:

No, they do run 24 hours. Just not in one-go.

Instead, they do 2 12-hour segments over 2 days. Both because of driver fatigue, but also so they can do minor repairs to the cars overnight. But once a year they will do a straight 24-hour race. Needless to say most cars are lucky to be running at all after a straight 24 hours. That's what this series is all about: pushing $500 cars beyond their breaking point.

I really like the their creative rulebook. If you're being too aggressive one of the penalties they can impose is to have the so called "Grille of Damocles" attached to your car. This is a metal plate covered in spikes that points inward to the radiator. If you make any front-end contact with another car, the spikes will turn the radiator into Swiss cheese. I think Kyle Busch needs one of these permenantly attached to the front of his car. :D

Per Section 6.3 of the rulebook:
Why Am I Upside-Down? Rule: You're upside-down because you have no business being out on a racetrack. Any driver who puts a car on its roof is out for the rest of the season, beginning immediately. Any car that rolls during a race will be removed from the race.

Oh, and the race winner is paid their $1500 in nickels.

Check out their website. Especially the FAQ and Rulebook for a good hoot. I think a lot of these rules should apply to NASCAR! :beerbang:

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Here's my favorite part of the FAQ:
WILL MY TEAM GET ACCEPTED?
Maybe. Maybe not. We usually get more applications than each racetrack can handle, so we have to pick and choose. Boring applications like "We are four guys who love to race, and we have done (blah blah blah) driving before" don't give us too much to work with: You might get in, and you might not. Applications like "Choose us, because we'll wear beaver costumes in the paddock and our car is entirely coated in birch bark" give you much better odds.

:XXROFL:

LOL when I was at an autocross, a reporter from houston said that have one of these there, i think at MSR. I gotta see one of these...

LOL when I was at an autocross, a reporter from houston said that have one of these there, i think at MSR. I gotta see one of these...

According to their website, they do run 2 races a year at MSR Houston. The next one is called "YEE-HAW IT'S LeMONS TEXAS" October 24-25. Tickets are $20/day or $30 for the whole weekend.

I love the team names. I saw one that's called the "Schumacher Taxi Service" based off of a story where Michael Schumacher once commandeered a taxi to get himself to the airport faster.

Of course, they paint their cars a bright yellow with a little taxi light on the top.

LMS-7.jpg

I forgot to mention that two of the best parts of the race are at the 12-hour mark.

People's Choice: This is where a fan favorite is given a $500 bonus (paid in nickels of course).

People's Curse: The fans pick someone they don't like, and their car is promptly crushed by a backhoe. The driver is allowed to remove all the parts they can before the backhoe arrives.

The fans vote by doing thumbs up, or thumbs down.

Here's the 2009 LeMons South People's Curse "winner":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2otNG7VHLvk&feature=player_embedded

Back
Top Bottom