38 on Atlanta Entry List

20 years of no short fields.

<Charter Implementation>

Short fields.

In the absence of data, one must sometimes rely on common sense.
^ That is not common sense. You incorrectly attribute the short fields as a RESULT of the charter system. What actually happened is that team ownership became less and less viable economically over the last decade, and this was the primary CAUSE of the charter system getting done.

The one thing Nascar absolutely must have to stay in business - but is not owned nor controlled by Nascar - is a group of race team owners who show up every week ready and able to race. That group has dwindled over the last decade, and all of the stronger owners are over 70 years old. Unless the ownership model is made financially viable, the sport will die as the current owners falter. The charter system resulted from this economic imperative.

You seem resistant to Global Warming as being the cause.
Well, I guess you do have a point. Stock cars aren't environmentally friendly, getting pathetic gas mileage for the amount of carbon they emit. The more they emit, the less oxygen there is in a given volume of atmosphere. As oxygen becomes less available, the engines run even less efficiently. The weaker engines die, resulting in reduced populations until a only a non-viable number of breeders remain.

:rolleyes:

To me low entries prove that open teams dont get **** because otherwise a team like the 30 would make sense to be there.

No further proof is required.

There's a lot of angst about the plight of the little guy ... there should be more cars than there are spots in the field and so on. I wonder if people advocating for these teams realize that non-qualifiers are paid nothing and never have been paid.

No further proof is required.

There's a lot of angst about the plight of the little guy ... there should be more cars than there are spots in the field and so on. I wonder if people advocating for these teams realize that non-qualifiers are paid nothing and never have been paid.
But, but the hotels and restaurants are getting screwed out the revenue from those other teams. The charters are hurting the small businessman!

I agree with Clutch that the Wood Brothers should have been Grandfathered in.... oldest race team still in competition....since when? 1955? Not any others can even come close... but... that's only my opinion.... opinions pay nothing.....

I don't normally belittle people but when I do I do it with joie de vivre....or Joie Chitwood.....I can't remember.

As long as Junior, Danica, and now Suarez are in the field, NASCAR could care about the rest of the field or if there is "shrinkage" in the Entry List...

Remember when fans were complaining about the S&P owners cruising around track in their BMWs and Benzs. Now those poor owners cant race....

When did that ever happen? I must not have seen the part where Tommy Baldwin and Phil Parsons spent 2009-11 riding around in luxury cars while their drivers parked after 30 laps just so they could (barely) get to the track next week, in the slim hope that they might eventually get to run full distance.

I never minded the 43 car field and the ''start and parks''...... they had an investment too..... just like the 'Big teams''..... as a percentage of total worth..... probably had more invested compared to payout..... just trying to squeeze out a living by racing and hoping for a lucky day. I kinda' liked the days of Junie Donalevy..... Stavola Brothers.... Jackson's ..... small teams that were there every week..... scratching out a living and doing good at it........ the 35 rule....... the Charter......it kinda' was the demise of them.......

I never minded the 43 car field and the ''start and parks''...... they had an investment too..... just like the 'Big teams''..... as a percentage of total worth..... probably had more invested compared to payout..... just trying to squeeze out a living by racing and hoping for a lucky day. I kinda' liked the days of Junie Donalevy..... Stavola Brothers.... Jackson's ..... small teams that were there every week..... scratching out a living and doing good at it........ the 35 rule....... the Charter......it kinda' was the demise of them.......
They were dead years before the charters, at least competitively.

I think those guys went away more because of the big teams expanding. When Donlavey, the Stavolas, and the Jacksons were competing, most of the top teams were either one or two car operations. It's when those premier teams started expanding to four or five cars that the smaller single car teams started getting shuffled out.

The whole "who cares" attitude from several posters here is kinda scary. When you go from 48-52 cars competing for 43 spots on a weekly basis to not even being able to get 40 cars to the track when they're GUARANTEED to start the race...it really shows how unhealthy the sport's economics are.

^What he said^
Add in TV viewership and track attendance declining. Tracks removed seating to avoid the showing less than capacity crowds and nascar no longer publishes embarrassing attendance figures
Sponsor dollars are getting tighter every day. I believe they see the light. Used to see the Intimidator in that black Goodwrench Chevy, the Blue deuce, the Tide ride all season long. Not a different sponsor and paint scheme weekly.

Hand built race cars with hand built bodies shipped hundreds, if not thousands of miles, and then measured with a laser and found to be several thousands out of tolerance. Team loses practice time and at times incurs a fine...:rolleyes:

When did that ever happen? I must not have seen the part where Tommy Baldwin and Phil Parsons spent 2009-11 riding around in luxury cars while their drivers parked after 30 laps just so they could (barely) get to the track next week, in the slim hope that they might eventually get to run full distance.

Tommy did have his driver S&P and even openly admitted it, getting in a tab of trouble with NASCAR doing so. He was in fact building a team, providing employment for his employees and running the full distance when funding permitted. That led to a running full races with one car and the a two car team and eventually a charter. Thanks to Tommy, kids even got to eat free at Golden Corral once! He also provided Ryan Blaney's first ever NASCAR ride (excluding K&N). With the charter system, not sure someone can do that now.

Tommy did have his driver S&P and even openly admitted it, getting in a tab of trouble with NASCAR doing so. He was in fact building a team, providing employment for his employees and running the full distance when funding permitted. That led to a running full races with one car and the a two car team and eventually a charter. Thanks to Tommy, kids even got to eat free at Golden Corral once! He also provided Ryan Blaney's first ever NASCAR ride (excluding K&N). With the charter system, not sure someone can do that now.
But he wasn't driving around in a Mercedes or a BMW. I think that was Roman's main point, that the S&P owners were spending their meager profits to continue racing, not personal benefit. No car owner would be regularly seen in anything other than the same make he fields on the track.

I think those guys went away more because of the big teams expanding. When Donlavey, the Stavolas, and the Jacksons were competing, most of the top teams were either one or two car operations. It's when those premier teams started expanding to four or five cars that the smaller single car teams started getting shuffled out.
I agree..... and..... I think that really hurt Nascar..... no more can we have an Alan Kulwicki...... folks loved that....... Furniture Row is the closest thing we have to that now.......

I agree..... and..... I think that really hurt Nascar..... no more can we have an Alan Kulwicki...... folks loved that....... Furniture Row is the closest thing we have to that now.......
And Furniture Row Racing is now basically just JGR West, plus they're not even a single car team anymore.

Back
Top Bottom