#42 Car Confiscated At Bristol

T

TonyB

That's Racin'

BRISTOL, Tenn. - NASCAR on Friday morning confiscated the No. 42 Dodge driven by Jamie McMurray, when it failed to meet the X-measurement of the rear window.
The violation is similar to those made by the teams of Tony Stewart and Kyle Busch last season, which resulted in NASCAR confiscating both cars.

NASCAR spokesman Mize Zizzo said NASCAR will tow the No. 42 back to its research and development center in Concord, N.C., for evaluation.

And additional penalties will be forthcoming after the race weekend, Zizzo said.

Following the inspection process, the car was placed alongside the NASCAR hauler and the team brought out a backup car. The backup car has never been run.

"You definitely don't bring your best aero car to Bristol, but the first time NASCAR checked the X-measurement - the same measurement they got Tony Stewart for and Kyle Busch - it showed to be too much," said team manager Andy Graves.

"Right now we're trying to figure out what happened, if it was a mistake on our part or if a mistake made in measuring the first time. We're going to have them measure it again."

Graves said the Nos. 41 and 40 Dodges, driven by Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Casey Mears and Sterling Marlin, respectively, both measured correctly.

The X-measurement is taken diagonally from each the top corner of the rear window to the bottom corner of the opposite side.

"It shows three-quarters (of an inch) more than any car we've ever had, so we're kind of baffled by it," Graves said.

A person would think that these car and crewchiefs would have realized by now that NASCAR isn't going to allow them to twist the "C" pillar area around to dump more air on the rear spoiler anymore.

I guess they must think the NASCAR inspectors really are that stupid?

Yep, Andy, I bet you wonder how that happened; but hey, you tried, right?

Man, McMurrays fine will be worse than Kyle's and so on and so on until they learn.

i dont like nascar fining these guys for coming to the track with an illegal car, it didnt touch the track so why do they deserve a fine, you see when other templates dont fit they just fix the car till it does, see that at daytona and talladeaga alot, this being a major fix then they should just have to run the back up car. think he will lose points? dont think he deserves that at all if he does.

They also confiscated Larry Foyt's car.

Larry Foyt's car failed to pass inspection a first time and his crew worked on the problem areas before returning to the inspection line. When the Dodge failed the final time, the car was seized by officials.

The Foyt team had only a speedway car on hand as a backup, so they decided not to make a qualifying attempt for Sunday's Food City 500.

Well, I suppose NASCAR's reasoning is that Tony just had the car taken. The infraction was repeated by Kyle's team --- car taken and fine.

If it hadn't sunk in after the first 2, maybe taking the car, a huge fine and points may make the teams take notice.

Don't bring an illegal car to the track.

And, this is such a major infraction, I doubt it would be fixable at the track because the frame is involved.

I say, if you get caught cheating with a car that can't make the template going through the tech. line they should take the car and send the team home...no one will ever try that trick again. All of the major open wheel series use this type of enforcement and don't see these types of games getting played every week.

Back
Top Bottom