5 Most "Psyched-Out" Drivers

Interesting thread. But I think a more realistic question is what driver hasnt had a weak moment.

Not many if any at all imo, they are human too, just very talented.
But still people with at a least a flaw or two like the rest of us.

I would feel almost dirty going on an on about some of the racers flaws, that I idolized in the 70s or 80s. There is so much of me that dreamed about living the dream they chased.

Interesting thread. But I think a more realistic question is what driver hasnt had a weak moment.

Not many if any at all imo, they are human too, just very talented.
But still people with at a least a flaw or two like the rest of us.

Paul Menard, I have never seen that guy get mad... or all that happy either. Either way I can't think of any other driver that has stayed even tempered throughout his entire career.

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. - Everyone here has already said it, the man just seemed to lack the drive and passion to chase wins and titles. The circumstances in which he raced in, carrying the weight of being the most popular driver and having everyone root for him, as well as the depression of losing his father just seemed to psyche him out.

Denny Hamlin - He stays psyched out. Even when he's at his best these days, it feels like his best is not much compared to other current drivers' bests. 2010 did him in, and I don't imagine he has gotten over it. He'll go down as one of the winningest Cup drivers without a Cup title.

Kasey Kahne - The word I have always heard in association with Kasey Kahne has been "potential". The "potential" he has has not been shown a lot, especially in recent years. Glimpses, maybe, but those few moments are ultimately not enough. It's a shame, I genuinely like the guy, have had the pleasure of meeting him, and really hope his tenure at LFR bears fruit because his career is meeting a dead-end, otherwise.

Kyle Larson - He's not very bad about psyching himself out, but he has his moments. Larson tends to overdrive, as noted here several times. One particular race at Charlotte (last year, I believe) saw him throw away what was a certain victory after smacking the wall as a result of just trying to run up way too high... which has happened several times. That brings a race he endured at Eldora to mind! :laugh:

Chase Elliott - I figure Chase will break through and swing the monkey off of his back, but as it is right now, he's gotta be one of the most psyched out drivers. There's nothing wrong with self-criticism, but he is the king of self-criticism... he over-analyzes his own mistakes a little too much. Once he wins, I doubt we'll be seeing that side much anymore.

Tony Stewart - Arguably a mentally strong driver, towards the end of his career, he faced some grueling trials and tribulations that really seemed to hurt him physically and mentally, which is why Sonoma 2016 was all that much more sweet.

Matt Kenseth - Martinsville psyches him out. He either wants to run people through the wall, or punch them in their head when he races there. :p @BobbyFord

Upon much consideration and thorough review, I conclude that Paul Menard is the most psyched out driver of all-time. Having his picture taken is a challenge. :p

I know there's some obvious "darkness" to this but I'd add Kenny Irwin to the list. He just never seemed comfortable in the #28 car for whatever reason. From the time he took over for Irvan in '98 (who was extremely popular), to watching Jarrett win the title in '99 to his untimely death in 2000 he just never adapted well to the pressure of driving, what was at the time, one NASCAR's sacred rides.

Last edited:
Juan Pablo Montoya comes to mind for me. Had the Brickyard get away twice..also gave one up at both The Glen and Sears Point, and If you recall, he had wins Michigan and Pocono all but sealed up before self destructing.
Yeah sure, most of you will argue that those mentioned above were mainly due to his pit road miscues, which is true... but it seemed like Montoya always had a habit for allowing the teams pit road mistakes to snowball out on the track afterwards.

Gotta believe if Montoya had kept a cool head and gotten even half of those wins, hed still be runnin Cup today.

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. - Everyone here has already said it, the man just seemed to lack the drive and passion to chase wins and titles. The circumstances in which he raced in, carrying the weight of being the most popular driver and having everyone root for him, as well as the depression of losing his father just seemed to psyche him out.

Denny Hamlin - He stays psyched out. Even when he's at his best these days, it feels like his best is not much compared to other current drivers' bests. 2010 did him in, and I don't imagine he has gotten over it. He'll go down as one of the winningest Cup drivers without a Cup title.

Kasey Kahne - The word I have always heard in association with Kasey Kahne has been "potential". The "potential" he has has not been shown a lot, especially in recent years. Glimpses, maybe, but those few moments are ultimately not enough. It's a shame, I genuinely like the guy, have had the pleasure of meeting him, and really hope his tenure at LFR bears fruit because his career is meeting a dead-end, otherwise.

Kyle Larson - He's not very bad about psyching himself out, but he has his moments. Larson tends to overdrive, as noted here several times. One particular race at Charlotte (last year, I believe) saw him throw away what was a certain victory after smacking the wall as a result of just trying to run up way too high... which has happened several times. That brings a race he endured at Eldora to mind! :laugh:

Chase Elliott - I figure Chase will break through and swing the monkey off of his back, but as it is right now, he's gotta be one of the most psyched out drivers. There's nothing wrong with self-criticism, but he is the king of self-criticism... he over-analyzes his own mistakes a little too much. Once he wins, I doubt we'll be seeing that side much anymore.

Tony Stewart - Arguably a mentally strong driver, towards the end of his career, he faced some grueling trials and tribulations that really seemed to hurt him physically and mentally, which is why Sonoma 2016 was all that much more sweet.

Matt Kenseth - Martinsville psyches him out. He either wants to run people through the wall, or punch them in their head when he races there. :p @BobbyFord

Upon much consideration and thorough review, I conclude that Paul Menard is the most psyched out driver of all-time. Having his picture taken is a challenge. :p

Time for Chad Johnston to sit down and have a chat with Larson.

Juan Pablo Montoya comes to mind for me. Had the Brickyard get away twice..also gave one up at both The Glen and Sears Point, and If you recall, he had wins Michigan and Pocono all but sealed up before self destructing.
Yeah sure, most of you will argue that those mentioned above were mainly due to his pit road miscues, which is true... but it seemed like Montoya always had a habit for allowing the teams pit road mistakes to snowball out on the track afterwards.

Gotta believe if Montoya had kept a cool head and gotten even half of those wins, hed still be runnin Cup today.
He also gave one away at Dover with a couple laps to go.

Man, Montoya was legit too, in terms of speed and talent - especially in 2009. He made the Chase and was a contender for wins and, if he would've kept it together, probably could have been a threat all the way into Homestead.

That really was one of my favorite seasons. Mark Martin had a legitimate championship run going until ****** Talladega ****** him out of another ****** championship just like ****** 2002 (I ain't mad:mad:) and Jimmie Johnson's Reign of Terror continued. But it was so much fun watching Montoya that year as well, and Stewart.

As for Montoya, it seemed like Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing only had about three good years in them after they acquired Bobby Ginn's underrated team. After 2010, they went downhill fast. And Ganassi cars didn't start running well again until 2016. At one point, that team was so average that this forum was writing off Kyle Larson as a bust.

Now, Ganassi is fast.

Carl Edwards doesn't belong on this list. He got fed up with the lottery playoffs, and retired. He did well enough where, without the playoffs he probably would have a title or two, and still be racing. Too bad we will never know. I'm surprised that Mark Martin was even brought up. Not being able to win a title isn't always due to mental meltdown. I think you hit the nail on the head with Denny Hamlin.

Yeah I probably should not have mentioned Mark. He wasn't "psyched out" that I ever recall, he just didn't race like an a**hole until he was raced by an a**hole.

I remember the 92 or 93 Winston when Earnhardt jumped the restart with Mark dominating to that point. And it being Earnhardt, NASCAR made the inconsistent call that since it was a special event you were allowed to do that and not black flagged. Instead they just lined them up again and gave Dale another shot. Mark was beside himself pissed and the next restart Dale beat him or Mark spun his tires and all the Earnhardt fans acted like it was "planned" to get into Mark's head. If it was, nice of NASCAR to let Childress' team know restart rules didn't apply at The Winston.

Yeah I probably should not have mentioned Mark. He wasn't "psyched out" that I ever recall, he just didn't race like an ******* until he was raced by an *******.

I remember the 92 or 93 Winston when Earnhardt jumped the restart with Mark dominating to that point. And it being Earnhardt, NASCAR made the inconsistent call that since it was a special event you were allowed to do that and not black flagged. Instead they just lined them up again and gave Dale another shot. Mark was beside himself pissed and the next restart Dale beat him or Mark spun his tires and all the Earnhardt fans acted like it was "planned" to get into Mark's head. If it was, nice of NASCAR to let Childress' team know restart rules didn't apply at The Winston.
Dale had his own special set of rules. Seriously, fans forget this stuff when they talk about Jimmie and Kyle.

Back
Top Bottom