'83 legend Lorenzo Charles dies in crash

Benevolent One

Team Owner
Lorenzo Charles Dies At 47

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Lorenzo Charles, the muscular forward whose last-second dunk gave underdog North Carolina State a stunning win in the 1983 national college championship game, was killed Monday when a bus he was driving crashed along a highway, a company official said.

Elite Coach general manager Brad Jackson said Charles, 47, worked for the company and was driving one of its buses on Interstate 40. No passengers were aboard.

Charles grabbed Dereck Whittenburg's 30-foot shot in the 1983 title game and dunked it at the buzzer to give the Wolfpack a 54-52 win over heavy favorite Houston and its second national title, sending coach Jim Valvano spilling onto the court, scrambling for someone to hug in what has become one of the lasting images of the NCAA tournament.

Whittenburg became emotional when recalling his teammate and friend with ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

"It's a terrible day for the '83 team, a terrible day," Whittenburg said. "He's just a positive, a warm spirit. On the court, he never smiled. He was a competitor. He was tough and all that. Off the court. He was a gentle giant. Man, he came with that bubbly smile."

Sidney Lowe, Charles' teammate and NC State's coach through last season said "Lorenzo was just happy with his life. He certainly would have loved to have played longer in the NBA. He was one of those guys that never complained. He never complained about this or that opportunity. He just went on with his life and accepted it. He got involved in other things to be involved with. You never saw him in a bad mood. I have never talked to him or seen him in a bad mood. I never talked to him where he had one negative thing about anybody. He never had a negative thing to say. The way he lived his life."

The 1983 team has now lost four members: Valvano, who died of cancer in 1993; McLean, who died unexpectedly on April 27; walk-on Quinton Leonard, who died at age 44 of a heart attack in 2006; and Charles.

"It's just hard to grasp," Lowe said. "It's just sad now when you talk about that team who have passed away. It's very difficult. You talk about special moments in your life and relationships you have and things you cherish and that's something no one can ever take away from us. We experienced something a lot of athletes will never experience. We have a bond that will never be broken. When I tell you he was a loyal friend to the end -- he was. He was a loyal friend to the end."

Thurl Bailey, one of Charles' teammates on the championship team, said it's tough to accept that the player who made the game-winning dunk is gone.

"But I heard someone say, I was talking to them on the phone about this, that Jimmy V finally found somebody to hug," Bailey told WRAL-TV.

Remembering Lorenzo Charles
By Dick Vitale
ESPN.com

When you think of the most magical moments in the history of college basketball, the dunk by Lorenzo Charles of North Carolina State in the 1983 national championship game was as dramatic as it gets.

That moment has been played over and over again for years. It sent Jimmy Valvano into euphoria as he looked for someone to hug as his Wolfpack stunned Phi Slama Jama in Albuquerque, N.M. It is a moment basketball fans will always remember. It was the perfect David vs. Goliath scenario.

Charles lost his life in a tragic bus crash in North Carolina on Monday. It was so sad to hear of his death.

What I will always remember about Lorenzo Charles was his warm, affectionate smile. I knew that, when I saw him before calling his games, I would get a playful bear hug.

That moment in 1983 was special because NC State was such a huge underdog entering the ACC tournament. The Wolfpack had to beat the likes of North Carolina with Michael "the Magnificent" Jordan and Virginia with Ralph Sampson just to make it to the Big Dance. That was amazing in its own right.

Then, in the NCAA tournament, NC State could have lost in the first round, but it survived and advanced in double overtime against Pepperdine. The magical run had begun.

My sympathy goes out to Charles' family and friends and all Wolfpack and basketball fans mourning his tragic loss. Lorenzo, rest in peace.

ncb_a_lcharts_200.jpg

RIP Lorenzo. I'm sure many, as well as myself, can still see the dunk when they think about that game.

Back
Top Bottom