A farewell to Junie?

H

HardScrabble

The 90 car did not make the field, not much of a surprise. But unless something big happens Junie will hang it up. No sponsor and he says he will not continue after this weekend. From what I hear the team is for sale.

WC and NASCAR are poorer for his leaving. Junie was I believe, the longest term active car owner in WC. Forever a single team and largely underfunded for all his years. Many drivers either got their start or found a haven during their lean years with Junie, and Jody Ridley got his only WC win in Junie's car.

well, he just said that they are looking to put another rookie in the car. so he is optimistic, not realistic(lol);)

I hate to see Junie go, but let's get real here. He's what, 88? One of the true characters in the sport too. Santa Claus could do well to borrow the gleam in that man's eyes. I admire him. He has spent his life doing EXACTLY what he wanted to be doing. Any of us able to say that?

when they interviewed junie at qualifying he sort of backed down.
he said they had to "regroup" and think about finding a sponsor.
he wouldn't say he was quitting. but he did say he couldn't go on without a sponsor.

Oh man, say it aint so...that "old man" could teach a lot to a young group trying to get involved...

I'm with you Windsor...but it seems the handwriting is on the wall.

Right now IMO, Junie is doing the left brain right brain battle.

The business side of the man tells him it won't work without a sponsor and that the team just isn't competitive. It's time to move on and let it go.

The heart wonders what will I do next week or the week after if I quit. No race, no planning for the next race. For all his adult life the man has lived and breathed racing. Ya can't just turn it loose that easy.

Whatever the man decides to do, he will have my respect and best wishes. He's earned all that and more. I would love to see him find a sponsor and a young driver and finish this season and run next year as well. Teach the youngin' the ins and outs, then retire from the sport giving one last driver the good push into WC racing.

Too bad for Junie but maybe it was time to hang it up...or maybe not.

HS, i agree. i hope he can get another sponsor, have a good year and then maybe retire.

Over the years, Junie Donlavey gave something like 500 drivers a start in racing, i've heard. Obviously, not all of those moved up, and some were just for a race or two, but he would give drivers the chance to show their worth. One notable name he gave a start to was Ken Schrader, but I know there are some other current Cup drivers that are in this sport thanks to Junie.

But, in the past couple years, that team's performance has been sub-par at best. With teams leaving our sport like Bud Moore and Cale Yarborough's team, it has been surprising how long Junie has been able to go on the tight budget he's had. He has run the team out of his pocket before, but the sport has continually gotten more expensive, and w/o a sponsor it might just be time to close shop.

I do believe he said he was looking to put another rookie in the car IF he could get a sponsor;)

Back
Top Bottom