A Race Win That Saved A Career

Elliott's win in 2001 definitely comes to mind as does Gant's 1989 win at Darlington. While Elliott had been solid in the 94 (nearly won several races), Gant went through a dreadful stretch in the 33. There was crazy stretch of DNF's iirc.

Dale Jarrett's win at Pocono in 1995 likely gave RYR a reason to keep him around once DJ's plan to start his own team fell through. Jarrett had not performed as expected in the 28 prior to winning the July race at Pocono.

That’s a good one. It felt like Burton really needed a win around that time.

That was a hell of a race between Burton and Kenseth. One of the reasons Dover is one of my favorite racetracks. Some of the races can be snoozy, but when Dover puts on a good show, it's a damn good race.

That was a hell of a race between Burton and Kenseth. One of the reasons Dover is one of my favorite racetracks. Some of the races can be snoozy, but when Dover puts on a good show, it's a damn good race.

That was a good one between Kenseth and burton. Also a couple years later the roush guys had the epic battle for the win in one of those 2008 Dover races.

I was at that race! Really great battle! One of the better finishes I remember at the Monster Mile.

I was at that race! Really great battle! One of the better finishes I remember at the Monster Mile.

It was incredible, and it lasted for some 40-50 laps or so. Plus, it looked like it was going to rain any second during the last 200 laps, and then right after the race ended, a monsoon broke out.

It was incredible, and it lasted for some 40-50 laps or so. Plus, it looked like it was going to rain any second during the last 200 laps, and then right after the race ended, a monsoon broke out.
And then they had round 2 at Texas the following year. I was a Jeff Burton fan and those are my 2 favorite wins of his.

And then they had round 2 at Texas the following year. I was a Jeff Burton fan and those are my 2 favorite wins of his.

I was a pretty big fan as well. Honestly I say he was my favorite as a kid. He dropped down a bit in the list before the end but surely top 5 of all time favorites.

Ricky Cravens Darlington win probably made his career. The way he won it has etched his name in Nascar history.
It helps that he also won another race at another one of NASCAR's grittiest tracks in the form of Martinsville. He may not have had a great Cup record, but never will he ever be lived down for the Darlington win.

Back
Top Bottom