A Tribute To Dale Earnhardt

SlicedBread22

#TeamJL
As we approach the anniversary of his death, I thought I would make a thread where we can share some pictures, stories, memorabilia or just to pay our respects to one of the most talented drivers in the history of NASCAR

Dale "The Intimidator" Earnhardt

upload_2014-2-17_16-51-48.jpeg

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread but one that will no doubt take a turn for the worse. Too many strong opinions.

I've got a whole basement that pays homage to him. Watched him race throughout his entire career in NASCAR and enjoyed every minute of it with the exception of one night in Bristol.

Great idea for a thread but one that will no doubt take a turn for the worse. Too many strong opinions.

I've got a whole basement that pays homage to him. Watched him race throughout his entire career in NASCAR and enjoyed every minute of it with the exception of one night in Bristol.
Well I hope they're good lol. I'm hoping it's a place people show their respect. That's what it's for. Guess we'll see how that goes tomorrow more than likely.

My dad has an Earnhardt corner I might take a picture of if I go there soon and throw it up here.

me to, my friends call it the Earnhardt museum room. really enjoyed listening to him on the scanner at the races. want to 8 to 10 races a year from 86 to 02.

814268230.jpg
One of my favorite photos

Why would anyone disrespect someone on a tribute thread ???

I never saw him race.. not as a fan anyway... but I know enough to respect what he was and really wish I would have been able to see him race.

Plenty of old races on the tube if you keep a lookout. They are showing a lot of old 500s in the next week or 2

I wonder what the sport would be like now if he was still around and would love to have heard his thoughts on the Chase system.

I wonder what the sport would be like now if he was still around and would love to have heard his thoughts on the Chase system.
He'd still be keeping it real as an owner or analyst, and I doubt the governing body would have done some of the things they have if they got called out like this still.

Me too. I think it'd be a different sport today if he were still around.

Haven't seen you post in a while, good to have you back.

Thanks, I've missed this place. I got way behind in watching last season so I had to avoid coming here to avoid spoilers. Just caught up recently actually and never had anything spoiled because nobody cares about racing here haha

Thanks, I've missed this place. I got way behind in watching last season so I had to avoid coming here to avoid spoilers. Just caught up recently actually and never had anything spoiled because nobody cares about racing here haha

Well keep up this year and stick around :cheers:

Wow its still tough to look at these pictures :(

I hate seeing the replays from 2001. I have to say though, I smile when I still see all the 3's on car windows driving down the road. Just doesn't seem like 13 years ago.

Well keep up this year and stick around :cheers:

I hate seeing the replays from 2001. I have to say though, I smile when I still see all the 3's on car windows driving down the road. Just doesn't seem like 13 years ago.

It was quite a few years before I watched another race. As for the replays I dont watch that one or the crash that killed Ayrton Senna

Actually I try to avoid watching any replays of drivers being hurt or killed but those two hit me the hardest

So right now I'm watching "The Dale Earnhardt Story" for the first time.... I love right at the beginning after his dad wins that race and the guy comes and starts kicking his car demanding some of the prize money and then Dale asks him

"Why'd you let that guy kick ur car daddy?"

His dad replies.. "When the race is over.. if some damn fool come after ya like that... don't ever get outta ur car.. even if ya got a gun or a knife... it aint about balls... you already showed him your a man.... on the track."

Love it!

Dale Earnhardt was nascar. He was everything great about the sport rolled up into one very cool looking package.
In musical terms, Dale was Ted Nugent while everyone else was John Denver.

I remember a story Jeff Gordon told once about the first time he ran an IROC race. He was in the middle of a 3 wide with Dale on one side of him and Kenny Schrader on the other side. Jeff looked over at Schrader and he was intensely focused on driving his car, looking straight ahead. Jeff then looked over at Dale and Dale was looking right at Jeff with a big grin on his face. lol

Another good Dale moment was another IROC race at Daytona. I don't remember who it was but some F1 guy spun Dale out on the last lap.
Dale owned Daytona, so everyone was thinking the F1 guy was gonna get his ass beat. lol
When they brought the cars down pit road after the race, Dale got out of his car and quickly made his way over to the F1 guys car and was standing there waiting for him to get out. F1 guy was in no hurry to get out, so Dale said "Come on and get out of the car. I ain't never hit a man sittin' in his car". F1 guy got out and Dale gave him a friendly grab on his shoulder with a big smile and they both stood there and laughed about it.

Dale loved racing. When he had to sit out the Watkins Glen race after the terrible wreck at Dega, he was choking back tears talking about having to sit the race out.

Dale Earnhardt was nascar.

Dale Earnhardt was nascar. He was everything great about the sport rolled up into one very cool looking package.
In musical terms, Dale was Ted Nugent while everyone else was John Denver.

I remember a story Jeff Gordon told once about the first time he ran an IROC race. He was in the middle of a 3 wide with Dale on one side of him and Kenny Schrader on the other side. Jeff looked over at Schrader and he was intensely focused on driving his car, looking straight ahead. Jeff then looked over at Dale and Dale was looking right at Jeff with a big grin on his face. lol

Another good Dale moment was another IROC race at Daytona. I don't remember who it was but some F1 guy spun Dale out on the last lap.
Dale owned Daytona, so everyone was thinking the F1 guy was gonna get his ass beat. lol
When they brought the cars down pit road after the race, Dale got out of his car and quickly made his way over to the F1 guys car and was standing there waiting for him to get out. F1 guy was in no hurry to get out, so Dale said "Come on and get out of the car. I ain't never hit a man sittin' in his car". F1 guy got out and Dale gave him a friendly grab on his shoulder with a big smile and they both stood there and laughed about it.

Dale loved racing. When he had to sit out the Watkins Glen race after the terrible wreck at Dega, he was choking back tears talking about having to sit the race out.

Dale Earnhardt was nascar.
Yep he was, and since he died there is no other driver that has been able to fill his shoes. The safety equipment would of made its way in, maybe not quite as soon , but it would of. What we lost was a sensible, powerful voice, who would tell it like it was and people would listen....especially Nascar. I firmly believe we wouldn't have the Chase or all these gimmicks if he were around, and we would have better racing on the plate tracks because Dale was the master on those tracks. I miss him....a lot, I remember sitting at a sports bar with my wife watching the flatbed drive away down the access road with his car on it. I started crying like a baby because I knew he was gone, people at the bar looked at me kind of funny, but a few knew why and did the same. I respected the guy, loved to root against him, but most of all I liked the guy, truly liked him, and since he died Nascar has gone from being a true racing sanction to being more about the flashy, gimmicky crap we have today. Dale must be looking down and saying you dumb Bastards you are ruining what I helped build!

It was a little different for me. I remember seeing the wreck and never thought for a second he would have been hurt, not to mention killed. The wreck seem like nothing. I've seen so many horrible wrecks that made you say a prayer hoping the driver wasn't killed, only to see the driver hop out and wave to the crowd. I just couldn't imaging that wreck being bad enough to be fatal.

It was a couple hours later when I heard that Dale had been killed in the wreck. At that moment I knew nascar would never be quite as good after that.

And yes, I had to choke back a few tears myself.

Back
Top Bottom