ACC is now 14 teams strong`

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
The ACC has accepted Syracuse and Pitt into their conference, giving the conference 14 teams on it's way to becoming possibly the first super-conference in NCAA football. Later today, we might here where more teams might be moving...Oklahoma and Texas have news conferences scheduled for today (9/18). With Texas A&M announcing their plans to leave the Big 12, (going where is to be determined) that conference appears to be heading down the road to nothing, with just 9 teams and two more looking to leave. The big question now is what will Texas do. Texas has that big TV contract that they want to keep, but that could change, depending on if the Big 12 conference is voided, and Texas is forced to find a new home. The PAC 12, where Oklahoma could end up along with fellow state rival Oklahoma State, shares all TV monies equally with their schools. The ACC however shares media income for bowl games, but allows schools to keep their own revenues otherwise, which would be good for Texas. However, if Texas decides to apply to the ACC, Texas Tech would more than likely follow, like Oklhama State would follow OU. Texas would then be the bulwark of the ACC, something the existing schools probably wouldn't like, and adding Texas Tech? The ACC might look towards other east coast schools to join, UConn for example, which would help in the northeast market. Texas just might not be able to keep that big TV contract if they can't move to a conference that allows schools to keep their own media money. Their best chance then would be to try and keep the Big 12 alive and growing, but would then probably have to pay OU and other schools a hefty price to stick around. And I've not even mentioned the SEC or the Big Ten. Talk about silly season, and the college football season has just begun.

Go OU! Whooo hooo.

It sure looks like we are headed pretty quickly to 4 super conferences of 16 teams each. That may not be a very good thing for the sport. That is unless they then decide to secede from the NCAA. Then I think it would be the best thing for the sport in a big way. If they, then, figured out a way to implement a playoff system and ditch the BCS's bs, we would have a truly great thing happening. These things may never happen, or they could happen in the next few years. You never know, but a guy can dream, right? :D

In some ways, I like the idea of four big conferences and in some ways, I don't. First I don't like them because of the old rivalries that might be missed. If Texas goes to the ACC and OU goes to the PAC 12, they might still have that annual game in Dallas, but then again, conference schedules might preclude such games. But I do like the idea that with four big conferences, a playoff system could more easily be formed. They could take the top four finishers in each conference and seed them for the first week, eight games. The winners play the following week, four more games. The semis the following week with the title game the final week giving us fifteen games in four weeks. The remaining schools cold then be given all of those other bowl games. Now that sounds like a plan.

Back
Top Bottom