Aging ranks of NASCAR team owners raise questions of who will carry torch

Different in every way? Apparently not in the way they have built in succession plans. Or perhaps you and I have a different definition of the word every..
Succession hasn't actually happened in Nascar yet with any success, with the sole exception of Petty Enterprises passing from Lee's control to Richard's control some decades ago. Nascar team ownership is a challenging gig. Perhaps the Gibbs (Childress, Penske, et al) heirs will be fully up to the task and fully committed to it, but perhaps not. The NFL league structure - where the teams collectively own the league - makes that a very different deal. It is much easier to carry on, and it is much easier to sell to other owners. That is my point, and of course YMMV.

I brought this up several months ago. Where will the new owners come from when these guys decide to retire or pass away?

If you don't think multi millionaire/billionaire businessmen and women don't have a succession plan in place for the inevitable, whether it's tomorrow or 30 years from now, you need to re evaluate how much you actually know about business.

Will there be new teams? More than likely, but are the powerhouses going away because the founders died? No.

JGR still has the Gibbs boys involved, so I would assume they'd take it over. Childress would turn things over to Mike Dillon is my guess. I'm not sure about the others. I would think they would each sell out, but it's hard to sell something with an unstable future and make a bunch of money from it.

Succession hasn't actually happened in Nascar yet with any success, with the sole exception of Petty Enterprises passing from Lee's control to Richard's control some decades ago. Nascar team ownership is a challenging gig. Perhaps the Gibbs (Childress, Penske, et al) heirs will be fully up to the task and fully committed to it, but perhaps not. The NFL league structure - where the teams collectively own the league - makes that a very different deal. It is much easier to carry on, and it is much easier to sell to other owners. That is my point, and of course YMMV.
Sole exception? So you think Glen and Leonard run the show at Wood Brothers? I'll check with Eddie and Len..

^ I'm a big fan of Wood Brothers Racing, but they have a way to go to call it a success. After years of mediocre performance and running a partial schedule, Penske has kicked some life back into that team by parking Blaney there with full Team Penske support. Let's see if it lasts, and if it does, Petty and Wood Bros will be dual exceptions. But not yet, IMO.

The manufacturers and sponsors are the kingmakers in Nascar and what owners will succeed today's owners is not very important.

JGR still has the Gibbs boys involved, so I would assume they'd take it over. Childress would turn things over to Mike Dillon is my guess. I'm not sure about the others. I would think they would each sell out, but it's hard to sell something with an unstable future and make a bunch of money from it.
Childress heir apparent is his daughter and then her children. Mike can apply for his allowance from the wife.HMS already has business management in place and Nascar is a small part of it. Same can be said for Roger and all his businesses and race teams. I assume DEI will go to her daughter. Have no idea about Chip Ganassi but he has partners to carry on.

^ I'm a big fan of Wood Brothers Racing, but they have a way to go to call it a success. After years of mediocre performance and running a partial schedule, Penske has kicked some life back into that team by parking Blaney there with full Team Penske support. Let's see if it lasts, and if it does, Petty and Wood Bros will be dual exceptions. But not yet, IMO.

I don't understand this at all. How is Patty in the same league as the Wood Brothers? Petty sold out years ago!

I don't understand this at all. How is Patty in the same league as the Wood Brothers? Petty sold out years ago!

From my understanding when Petty Enterprises went under Richard Petty became just a figurehead for RPM. As far as the Wood Brothers go they have been on the fringes for years and they only reason they are relevant today is due to Penske doing everything for them. If a person wants to see a BK racing team do well just have Rick send Jimmie and Chad over plus cars and personnel and a BK team will be up front.

I think Dale Earnhardt and Kyle Busch are supporting NASCAR with their Xfinity teams. I suspect they might consider moving to cup in time under the right circumstances. But I'm concerned that the big teams make it harder for new teams to start. My concern is based on small teams having to buy stuff from their competitors (I think that happened in Indycar at some point). The future of the big teams will probably be through acquisitions and mergers (the new American way) rather than enthusiasts starting teams.

From my understanding when Petty Enterprises went under Richard Petty became just a figurehead for RPM. As far as the Wood Brothers go they have been on the fringes for years and they only reason they are relevant today is due to Penske doing everything for them. If a person wants to see a BK racing team do well just have Rick send Jimmie and Chad over plus cars and personnel and a BK team will be up front.

Ehhh. I still think the Wood Brothers made it further than Petty. Hell even his own son drove for them!
The worst part about everything is the early demise of Adam. That kid had his sh!t together!

Back
Top Bottom