Alex Rodriguez admits illegal drug use

the owners are the ones that have the most say in this. they don't need anybody's permission to sit these guys and show their dissatisfaction. they won't though after paying all that money for them until the fans quit paying to see them.

Yeh ...I agree, but really when you think about it the Players Union has the most power I think. They cover for the players much more than we will ever know, then of course the Balco thing has Anderson willing to spend a lot more jail time because he won't rat on Bonds. Makes me think that this is a lot bigger than it really is playing out in the Media!;) He must be getting paid off to be quiet.

Owners, union, players, they are all involved and it's their business. All of them depend on the public and eventually, it's up to the public as to what will happen to this mess. But think of this...heard the other day the cost of top tickets for the major league teams (behind third and first base). The best value, or at least the least costly was $1,900 for the Pirates. The costliest was $26,000 for the Yankees. And I'm not sure that includes the PSL's. With all that has been going on, the attendance for MLB has gone up, and that is with the knowledge of the scandales that have arisen. We gripe and complain about the price of a ticket for a race, but look at what is going on in the MLB and it isn't slowing down even with the econoby. I've heard also that some of the PSL's have been as high as $300,000 for a season, and that is for one seat.

So my question is this, what's the big deal with the doping? I don't watch much MLB these days but have been a big fan in the past. If the public doesn't really give a rat's behind, then what's behind all of this? Only a few people raising cain? One has to wonder about all of this and why are people continuing to stream into the stadiums if any of this really matters. :confused:

I don't believe that people are "streaming" into the stadiums:

MLB attendance:

1993 - 70,257,936

2008 - 78,584,286

Not exactly a mind boggling increase I would say, 11.8% total in 15 years.

If I put my money in a bank savings account and my return was only 11.8% total in 15 years I would be looking for some reasons why.

Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, btw, have an average ticket cost of $17.23. Not much of a % increase over when I used to see the Pirates play 50 some years ago.

Muggle, back on subject, today A Rod got a mixture of boos and hoots, but when he hit a homerun, he got a standing O. If this doping scandal means so much to the fans, why are they still going to see these guys play? When he goes to another city with the Yanks, people are going to come out and see him play. He's an atraction and people want to see him. Just as any other big name player, wether they have controversey or not, people are going to pay to watch them play. Again, my question for you is why if this doping thing matters?

Totally disagree. A-Rod has lost many fans and also his credibility. Read the other posts here buck, I am not alone in saying he and Bonds, among other dopers, should not be in the HOF.

Are you saying that players like Bonds still have as many fans as he did before his steroid use became well known, I think not.

Owners, union, players, they are all involved and it's their business. All of them depend on the public and eventually, it's up to the public as to what will happen to this mess. But think of this...heard the other day the cost of top tickets for the major league teams (behind third and first base). The best value, or at least the least costly was $1,900 for the Pirates. The costliest was $26,000 for the Yankees. And I'm not sure that includes the PSL's. With all that has been going on, the attendance for MLB has gone up, and that is with the knowledge of the scandales that have arisen. We gripe and complain about the price of a ticket for a race, but look at what is going on in the MLB and it isn't slowing down even with the econoby. I've heard also that some of the PSL's have been as high as $300,000 for a season, and that is for one seat.

So my question is this, what's the big deal with the doping? I don't watch much MLB these days but have been a big fan in the past. If the public doesn't really give a rat's behind, then what's behind all of this? Only a few people raising cain? One has to wonder about all of this and why are people continuing to stream into the stadiums if any of this really matters. :confused:
They want to see Homeruns, they want to boo the guys that hit them, cheer for the guys that hit them...why because there is CONTROVERSEY. Where there is that slightest doubt people get really engrossed in it, it tends to facinate them, anger them, and interest them all at once. That is why attendance is up, plus the fact Bseball is still Americas' sport IMO.

They want to see Homeruns, they want to boo the guys that hit them, cheer for the guys that hit them...why because there is CONTROVERSEY. Where there is that slightest doubt people get really engrossed in it, it tends to facinate them, anger them, and interest them all at once. That is why attendance is up, plus the fact Bseball is still Americas' sport IMO.
I just disagree with you on that, but that's my opinion. But think of it in this vien, as you are aware no doubt, that Michael Vick is due to be released from prison in May. A poll was taken by fans as to whether or not they would welcome him to their team. The biggest majority said yes, and it was because they felt that he could help their team. Now of course those fans were from teams that didn't have the best QB's in the league, but it all boiled down to the fact that while America despised what he did, if he gave them wins on the field, they would overlook it.

Baseball was America's pastime many years ago, but it's not now. The NFL has taken over that title some years ago.

You know, I use to watch baseball, football, basketball, hockey and a number of other sports every chance I had when they were on tv. Now I may read the box scores to see who won. I don't know who today's fans are but I doubt seriously that they care an iota as much as fans did a generation or so ago. It's mostly just commercialized fluff now as far as I'm concerned.

Watching the Super Bowl does not make the NFL Americas #1 passtime. It will be a cold day in hell when, say, Boston and the Mets play the World Series in some place in Florida.. The fans wouldn't permit such a thing. Baseball is much more than MLB. It is all the kids playing and a love of the game that surpasses any other. Did you ever have a glove on your hand and keep tossing a baseball into it. or, toss a baseball up in the air and catch it on the way down. Or play a game of "pepper".

to me the quality of play in stick & ball sports declined when they started paying millions to these guys to play.They play good for 1 or 2 years to get the big money then it seems they ride it out after that.Plus if these players didn't have such deep pockets they wouldn't be getting themselves in trouble all the time.I just can't see paying somebody 175 million to play baseball I don't care who he is.

Watching the Super Bowl does not make the NFL Americas #1 passtime. It will be a cold day in hell when, say, Boston and the Mets play the World Series in some place in Florida.. The fans wouldn't permit such a thing. Baseball is much more than MLB. It is all the kids playing and a love of the game that surpasses any other. Did you ever have a glove on your hand and keep tossing a baseball into it. or, toss a baseball up in the air and catch it on the way down. Or play a game of "pepper".

Muggle, I know how you feel about it and yes, I've had a glove on my hand and I played baseball or softball more than any other sport with the possible exception of golf. But these days are not like the days when we grew up in America. As a mailman, I'm out in the city and walk residential neighborhoods and can see what the kids are doing. I think that today, that glove has been replaced by the basketball hoop on the garage, or one of those portable types. On any given day when the weather is decent, I will always see a kid tossing baskets. In season, I see the kids tossing a football around, but to be honest with you, I don't recall the last time I saw a kid throwing a baseball to his friend. Actually, I see more kids with a soccer ball than a baseball. There is a city park on my route where I eat my lunch and I've never seen kids out there with a baseball. I know it hurts man, but you are living in the past. And it isn't that I don't like baseball either. I'm being a realist here but if you can't see it, maybe you ought to get out in the city sometime and watch what the kids are doing when they aren't inside playing games.

Yeah, I agree, basketball is the game played in the city. But, in the "country", baseball is still the game. I stand on my belief that baseball is still the #1 passtime.

Yeah, I agree, basketball is the game played in the city. But, in the "country", baseball is still the game. I stand on my belief that baseball is still the #1 passtime.
Okay, I'll buy that. Muggle, you and I are a dying breed in this matter. Our childhood heroes were cut from a different cloth than those of the kids today. Even in our interest in racing, things have changed so much that it's nothing what it was when we fournd our it interesting enough to pay attention. All sports have radically changed over the years, some for the better, some not so. I've never totally agree that the DH was the way to go. But it helped aging power hitters to be able to stick around for a few more years, but it took away some great strategies that a manager could use either on defense or offense.

I'd have to say that the years that I most enjoyed baseball were the sevties into the eighties. Before that I was a simpleton from Oklahoma and it was either the Yankees or the Cardinals. Once I left the Air Force and moved to the Quad Cities, I started rooting for the Cubs with Jack Brickhouse as their announcer, but the June swoon would come and the Cubs would fall. I then switched to Chicago channel 11 I believe, the channel that carried the White Sox with Harry Carey and JJimmy Pearsol as the announcers. The would get some great older players off waivers and try to build a team with guys like Richie Zizk or Oscar Gamble. Even Pudge Fisk became a southsider to end his carreer though he'll always be remembered as a Red Sox member. But those days had some real charactors that played baseball. Mark, the Bird, Fidrich, the Mad Hungarian, Rollie Fingers with the great mustache. Those Oakland A's were such a good team in thos days. Reggie Jackson, Sal Bando, Joe Rudi, Bert Campaneris, Catfish Hunter, Rollie Fingers and Vida Blue. Yes, those were some exciting days in baseball, but it's sad to say that they are over and gone.

I heard on the radio today that the World Baseball Classic just doesn't interest the American public like it does with the other countries and I think that just goes to show that there is more interest in the game of baseball in other countries than there is here. The commissioner was talking about ways to get more interst in those games. BTW, Derek Jeeter and Team USA beat the Yankees. Are you keeping up with that?

It is sad to see the decline in baseball being played by neighborhood kids. They still play a fair amount of little league ball, but that has been greatly reduced by the amount of kids playing soccer. Soccer takes a lot less skill and everybody can feel like they are participating all the time, unlike say a right fielder who never sees the ball until he gets to hit. The other thing is that failure is easier to justify in soccer.

Kids these days are so sheltered from any percieved failures or inadequacies that the idea of "striking out" is a foreign concept. I think striking out helped me in the long run, because I practiced and tried as hard as I could to never have that feeling again. Unfortunately many kids don't get to experience failure until they are much older and the stakes are a lot higher. :(

It is sad to see the decline in baseball being played by neighborhood kids. They still play a fair amount of little league ball, but that has been greatly reduced by the amount of kids playing soccer. Soccer takes a lot less skill and everybody can feel like they are participating all the time, unlike say a right fielder who never sees the ball until he gets to hit. The other thing is that failure is easier to justify in soccer.

Kids these days are so sheltered from any percieved failures or inadequacies that the idea of "striking out" is a foreign concept. I think striking out helped me in the long run, because I practiced and tried as hard as I could to never have that feeling again. Unfortunately many kids don't get to experience failure until they are much older and the stakes are a lot higher. :(
LOL, if you have never struck out, you have never played the game of baseball. I remember one high school game where we played a team that had a pitcher that struck me out 3 times. Talk about a fastball, that guy could really throw the ball. I remember another game when I was a freshman and wasn't starting at that point. The opoosing pitcher had a no hitter agianst us and our coach sent me up to pinch hit. I drilled one up the middle for a base hit, it was the only hit of the game for us. It was an afternoon game and afterwards I went home and was on my newspaper route when a friend seen me and asked who won the game. I told him the other team, he then asked how many hits we got as he knew the opossing team's pitcher was pretty good. I said one, he then asked who got the hit and I had the biggest smile you can imagine.

Oh boy, now yer bringing back some memories of childhood...great memories I might add. I was a catcher in little league and also played that position later in life in softball. Anyway, while in little league, our pitcher was so good that he was actually playing in a league that was over his age, he was that good, and he could really toss a fireball. A couple of stories here...one game my catching hand was taking a pounding from his heat. I needed a rest and asked the coach if I could sit out the next time we took the field. I was apalled to find out that once your taken out of a game, you couldn't go back in. Needless to say, I found a way to protect my hand from all the pounding that day. I had always been asking the coach to let me pitch since I had been practicing by myself for many hours. Finally, our team was ahead enough that he asked me if I wanted to give it a go. Of course I said yes and went to the mound. I walked four in a row and was then sent behind the plate. :eek: I never again asked to pitch for I never wanted to be that embarassed again.

BTW, at age 28 I broke my back while playing in a church softball game. It was in the championship game and the score was tied in the bottom of the 10th inning. First guy up got a single and they walked me. Next guy took the pitcher to 2 and 3 and then fouled out. The next batter then walked and we had the bases loaded with one out. All we needed was one run and we won the championship. The next guy also took it to a full count and then struck out. Once again, the next batter went to a full count. On the next pitch, the coach had us all running. The ball was hit squarely to the shortstop. I was heading full speed to third. The SS stepped up into my line and as I was going as fast as I could, there was no way I could miss him so I braced for collision, turning my right shoulder towards him. I turned just a bit too much and I caught his left shoulder in the middle of my back. We were both down and I can remember them yelling at the SS to tag him, I guess they forgot that I was already out for interference. I had a hard time getting off the field, but I made it and told the coach that I probably couldn't play anymore and sat on the bench and watched our team end up losing. I had a little sports car at the time and it was hard getting in and out of the car. After a nights sleep, I told my wife that I couldn't go to work and that we probably should go see a doctor. They took some exrays and sent me straight to the hospital where I spent the next nine days lying flat. L2, 3 and 4 were broken. Doc said that most of the time when he sees this sort of breakage, it's from football, not softball. I didn't play softball again until I was almost 40.

You know, I use to watch baseball, football, basketball, hockey and a number of other sports every chance I had when they were on tv. Now I may read the box scores to see who won. I don't know who today's fans are but I doubt seriously that they care an iota as much as fans did a generation or so ago. It's mostly just commercialized fluff now as far as I'm concerned.

I'd disagree with that only for this reason, a big one, talk radio. If you listen to a sports talk radio station you will see that there are young and old calling in that are very knowledgeable on sports. Also if you go to sports blogs you will see it.

I would have to agree also, I live in a rurual area and Baseball far surpasses soccer or football as the sport to play. High school baseball is just around the corner and here in the Springfield-Worcester area where I live, people go nuts for their teams.

Totally agree.

Oh boy, now yer bringing back some memories of childhood...great memories I might add. I was a catcher in little league and also played that position later in life in softball. Anyway, while in little league, our pitcher was so good that he was actually playing in a league that was over his age, he was that good, and he could really toss a fireball. A couple of stories here...one game my catching hand was taking a pounding from his heat. I needed a rest and asked the coach if I could sit out the next time we took the field. I was apalled to find out that once your taken out of a game, you couldn't go back in. Needless to say, I found a way to protect my hand from all the pounding that day. I had always been asking the coach to let me pitch since I had been practicing by myself for many hours. Finally, our team was ahead enough that he asked me if I wanted to give it a go. Of course I said yes and went to the mound. I walked four in a row and was then sent behind the plate. :eek: I never again asked to pitch for I never wanted to be that embarassed again.

BTW, at age 28 I broke my back while playing in a church softball game. It was in the championship game and the score was tied in the bottom of the 10th inning. First guy up got a single and they walked me. Next guy took the pitcher to 2 and 3 and then fouled out. The next batter then walked and we had the bases loaded with one out. All we needed was one run and we won the championship. The next guy also took it to a full count and then struck out. Once again, the next batter went to a full count. On the next pitch, the coach had us all running. The ball was hit squarely to the shortstop. I was heading full speed to third. The SS stepped up into my line and as I was going as fast as I could, there was no way I could miss him so I braced for collision, turning my right shoulder towards him. I turned just a bit too much and I caught his left shoulder in the middle of my back. We were both down and I can remember them yelling at the SS to tag him, I guess they forgot that I was already out for interference. I had a hard time getting off the field, but I made it and told the coach that I probably couldn't play anymore and sat on the bench and watched our team end up losing. I had a little sports car at the time and it was hard getting in and out of the car. After a nights sleep, I told my wife that I couldn't go to work and that we probably should go see a doctor. They took some exrays and sent me straight to the hospital where I spent the next nine days lying flat. L2, 3 and 4 were broken. Doc said that most of the time when he sees this sort of breakage, it's from football, not softball. I didn't play softball again until I was almost 40.

I played baseball in High school, but my real passion is softball, I started playing in a mens league in 1978 at the age of 17, been playing since. I just love to show up all those young 20 somethings , of course I lost a step, but I just play a little "smarter" now. Thirty one years of playing, many championships, touring teams, and a lot of good beer later I still love the sport more than I ever did.

I played baseball in High school, but my real passion is softball, I started playing in a mens league in 1978 at the age of 17, been playing since. I just love to show up all those young 20 somethings , of course I lost a step, but I just play a little "smarter" now. Thirty one years of playing, many championships, touring teams, and a lot of good beer later I still love the sport more than I ever did.
Softball is a much bigger sport in the midwest than just about any other place in the country. I've never seen any leagues down here, but I'm not out there looking either. I remember a kid that moved from Rock Island, IL out to Colorado for a job, but moved back when he couldn't find a softball league.

Speaking of beer, we used to have a great beer league where the object was for the batter to hit a fielders beer that was to be put down when a pitch was thrown. Needless to say, there were more balls hit into the outfield because the fielder was saving his beer instead of catching the ball. LOL Now that was some great fun and comaradarie.

I played fast pitch softball in Maryland for a number of years. It got pretty competitive as some Companies would hire college kids for the summer and stock up with ringers. I really enjoyed softball but nothing beat baseball for me. Back in my younger days all small towns in Pennsylvania had adult baseball teams. We had 2 teams in our small town, the Moose Team and The Pioneers (this is the team that is mentioned in the HOF).

I remember as a kid always hoping to get a broken bat from the team and we would then nail it and tape it together, depending on where it was broken. bats and balls weren't easy to come by. i played with many a taped baseball as a kid.

I played fast pitch softball in Maryland for a number of years. It got pretty competitive as some Companies would hire college kids for the summer and stock up with ringers. I really enjoyed softball but nothing beat baseball for me. Back in my younger days all small towns in Pennsylvania had adult baseball teams. We had 2 teams in our small town, the Moose Team and The Pioneers (this is the team that is mentioned in the HOF).

I remember as a kid always hoping to get a broken bat from the team and we would then nail it and tape it together, depending on where it was broken. bats and balls weren't easy to come by. i played with many a taped baseball as a kid.

I used to have this taped bat, weighed a ton, not sure where it came from , but if you hit the ball just in the wrong place that bat would make your hands tingle so bad....lol. When I moved to CO. Springs I hooked up with an Army team on Post, mind you I wasn't in the Army, but my girlfriend at the time was. I shaved my goatee, cut my hair real short, and would stand at attention during practice when taps was being played every day. That team was awesome, had some good times playing with those guys, sadly a lot of those guys didn't come back from Iraq. Ball would carry pretty good out there on Fort Carson, it was pretty easy for me to hit a bal 375-400ft on their fields. Here if I hit a shot that goes 325 I'm doing good!

Muggle, you bring back so many memories. I remember our small town's ball team and where they played, we would gather behind the backstop and wait for foul balls. They would go down into a canyon. They always wanted us to give the balls back and would give a dime when you gave it back. I remember we would get some soot from the exhaust of a Cushman Eagle scooter and use that for eyeblack. We didn't know what the reason those big guys used it, but it made us feel like we were part of it all. :)

Muggle, you bring back so many memories. I remember our small town's ball team and where they played, we would gather behind the backstop and wait for foul balls. They would go down into a canyon. They always wanted us to give the balls back and would give a dime when you gave it back. I remember we would get some soot from the exhaust of a Cushman Eagle scooter and use that for eyeblack. We didn't know what the reason those big guys used it, but it made us feel like we were part of it all. :)

LOL, there was a creek (about 40 or 50 feet wide full of sulphur from the coal mines) behind our ball field and we always hoped for a foul ball to go in the creek and us kids would wade in after it. Some of my friends and I would play ball in a field with grass about 18 inches tall and bushes in the field. There was a barb wire fence at the rear of the field and it was a homer if one of us knocked the ball over. We all pretended that we were one of the Pirates. My younger brother was Ralph Kiner and I was Wally Westlake. Ah, what I wouldn't give to live "just one" of those days again. Everyone is gone and I think I'm the only one left.

Back
Top Bottom