Allen Bestwick also out at ESPN

The people who have been laid off from ESPN have uniformly taken the highroad on social media and said incredibly classy things about their former employer. They should be commended for this, but I think a little anger would not be out of place.
That is the professional thing to do - don't burn bridges. Anyone who has been let go due to a layoff knows there is some anger at being let go but those in the public eye .
I'd like to see that brought back, with new drivers obviously. I liked the way that they broke the race into pieces and let the drivers analyze and give insight on what was happening.

Bestwick did a good job of controlling Michael Waltrip's worst tendencies. I think that they'd do well in a booth together.
I'd like to see that too. One of my favorite interviews was with Jeff Gordon. Before he joined the hosts, they showed replays of all the times he moved a driver out of the way and him causing wrecks. Gordon took it in stride.

Allen Bestwick, Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr. at Fox next year. Damn what a team. I also posted this in the Dale Jr. retiring thread.

Respectfully (and I mean that), I do not agree. Bestwick--Yes. Jeff Gordon--Yes. Dale Jr.--Dale Yes (See what I did there?). Jeff and Jr.--No. Here's why-- Dale was lights out awesome on the Xfinity broadcasts. I would love to see him in the booth, but if he was with Jeff, Gordon's personality would be impossible for Junior to compete given his quiet analytical delivery. He would need a lower keyed personality as the third to put him in the position he deserves. Maybe a Letarte......Bottom line....Junior would need to be at the center of the color commentary. He would not be able to compete, and his awesome insight would be lost in the mix IMO.

Respectfully (and I mean that), I do not agree. Bestwick--Yes. Jeff Gordon--Yes. Dale Jr.--Dale Yes (See what I did there?). Jeff and Jr.--No. Here's why-- Dale was lights out awesome on the Xfinity broadcasts. I would love to see him in the booth, but if he was with Jeff, Gordon's personality would be impossible for Junior to compete given his quiet analytical delivery. He would need a lower keyed personality as the third to put him in the position he deserves. Maybe a Letarte......Bottom line....Junior would need to be at the center of the color commentary. He would not be able to compete, and his awesome insight would be lost in the mix IMO.
I disagree. I think the contrast between the two styles would be a helluva good fit.

I disagree. I think the contrast between the two styles would be a helluva good fit.
agree. Junior isn't one to talk fast or continuous. His roll would be to deliver insight in shorter
context with out the burden of Hype.

That is the professional thing to do - don't burn bridges. Anyone who has been let go due to a layoff knows there is some anger at being let go but those in the public eye .

You are right. I have been laid off. There was anger and more. It makes you feel invalid.. like everything you thought you were doing right was wrong. Anyway, I do remember going into the job market raving about how much I loved working there. You do whatcha gotta do.

ESPN is garbage now. They don't cover motorsports anymore. It was weird seeing Bestwick as a Tennis commentator.

Didn't expect you to agree with me. :D Seriously, I would rather have former Crew Chiefs in the booth. I like DW because he is pretty far from an insightful voice, but I just don't like former drivers in the booth. Junior and Jeff would be waaaaaay too much. Let's just get Mr. H. in there, and call it Hendrick Broadcast Network.

A little factoid. His grandparents had a summer place near us, one day he fell off the dock into deep water and my brother fished him out.

That's what I would do since I'm just an average swimmer and a person struggling can pull you down.

Just hook him, tighten the drag and pull him in like a carp.

Didn't expect you to agree with me. #SantaIsn'tReal #HellNotFrozenOver #@JohaliIsn'tAKyleBuschFan :D Seriously, I would rather have former Crew Chiefs in the booth. I like DW because he is pretty far from an insightful voice, but I just don't like former drivers in the booth. Junior and Jeff would be waaaaaay too much. Let's just get Mr. H. in there, and call it Hendrick Broadcast Network.

Have you ever listened to Benny Parsons, Ned Jarrett or Buddy Baker?

You should. You might change our mind.

I'd put Bestwick on Xfinity coverage at least. He's better than Adam Alexander.

I may have been Stockholmed by TNT, but I disagree on that. Alexander comes off as better than Bestwick to me.

Benny. Damn. Favorite of all time. Just loved the way he called a race. Every freakin' syllable.

He was the best thing about the NBC/TNT broadcasts. Always.

Have you ever listened to Benny Parsons, Ned Jarrett or Buddy Baker?

You should. You might change our mind.

Loved Benny...Forgot about Ned and Buddy. Thanks, I stand corrected. Very good point.

I like AB more than Rick Allen or Adam Alexander by a mile. I hope he gets picked up and back to calling NASCAR races, or atleast Indycar for NBCSN....

Side note: It's too bad Eddie Cheever and Scott Goodyear weren't fired also. Indy on ABC fkn blows.

I'll say the same thing here that I said about Dr. Punch. Both of them were loyal to ESPN (Punch more so) and this is how they get repaid.

I like AB more than Rick Allen or Adam Alexander by a mile. I hope he gets picked up and back to calling NASCAR races, or atleast Indycar for NBCSN....

Side note: It's too bad Eddie Cheever and Scott Goodyear weren't fired also. Indy on ABC fkn blows.
They work maybe eight days a year for ABC. Not a lot to cut there. Although they won't be employed there in the near future anyways.

Allen Bestwick could sign a contract with Fox Sports calling NASCAR racing, NFL games, Major League Baseball games and College Football also Fill in for Joe Buck while Joe Buck is covering Major League Baseball Playoffs.

Allen Bestwick could sign a contract with Fox Sports calling NASCAR racing, NFL games, Major League Baseball games and College Football also Fill in for Joe Buck while Joe Buck is covering Major League Baseball Playoffs.
Welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom