Allen Johnson DQ-ed after breath test

kelloggs5TLfan

Team Owner
http://www.thatsracin.com/2010/09/18/46948/allen-johnson-dqed-after-breath.html#ixzz0zvvP4XOG
Allen Johnson DQ-ed after breath test
By David Scott - [email protected]
Saturday, Sep. 18, 2010

National Hot Rod Association Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson launches during the Mopar Mile-High Nationals in Colorado in July. (NHRA photo)

National Hot Rod Association Pro Stock competitor Allen Johnson. (NHRA Media)

CONCORD, N.C. – Pro Stock car driver Allen Johnson has been disqualified from this weekend's O'Reilly Auto Parts Nationals at Concord's zMax Dragway for violating the National Hot Rod Association's substance abuse policy. Johnson had a .027 reading on an alcohol breath analyzer during Saturday morning's drug and alcohol test, the NHRA said.

The NHRA has a zero-tolerance policy with alcohol. According to the rules, any driver or official found to have a measureable blood-alcohol content during track activities will be barred from involvement or participation in the event. Johnson is also subject to future disciplinary measures. Johnson, 50, of Greeneville, Tenn., is second in this season's Pro Stock standings.

"I fully support the NHRA’s zero tolerance policy in regards to alcohol and I understand their decision,” said Johnson.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100918/NHRA/100919877
NHRA: Pro Stock driver Johnson disqualified after breath test shows alcohol
nhra-allen-johnson.jpg

A breath test Saturday morning showed that NHRA Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson had alcohol in his system.

NHRA: Pedregon grabs top qualifying spot in Funny Car classNHRA Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson, who is second in the season points standings, was disqualified from the O'Reilly Auto Parts Nationals in Charlotte, N.C., on Saturday after a breath test recorded alcohol in his system.

The NHRA said Johnson, driver of the Mopar Dodge Avenger, registered a 0.027 reading on an alcohol breath analyzer during a drug and alcohol test Saturday morning at the zMax Dragway. The NHRA has a zero-tolerance regarding alcohol.

"I went to a late dinner (Friday) night with my family and had a few alcoholic beverages with my meal," Johnson said in a printed statement. "I felt no ill effects from the alcohol I consumed. This morning I learned I had been chosen for a random alcohol and drug test by the NHRA, one of many I have taken and passed over the years. I took it immediately even though I had 24 hours in which to take the test. Unfortunately, a trace amount of alcohol registered in my system, leading to my disqualification."

The NHRA rule book states any driver or official discovered to have a measurable blood alcohol content during racetrack activities shall be immediately barred from any further involvement or participation in the event. Johnson is subject to further disciplinary action as provided for in the NHRA's substance abuse policy.

"I fully support the NHRA's zero tolerance policy in regards to alcohol," Johnson said. "I understand their decision in this matter. I would like to apologize to the NHRA, my fans and to my sponsors for any disappointment that I have caused. I love drag racing and I would never do anything to purposely disrespect the sport or its fans."

In many states, drivers can be arrested if an alcohol breath analyzer test registers a reading of 0.08 or higher.

That sucks..027 isn't much but a rule is a rule.At least it wasn't cocaine like a past Dodge sponsored driver.

Back
Top Bottom