Alternate idea for Cup cars on dirt.

34R7H130UND

Team Owner
With all of this talk about cup guys running on dirt, I had an idea. Might be good, might be bad, just wanted to see what everybody thinks.

I dont think cup cars should run on dirt. If NASCAR should do ANYTHING at all with dirt racing, they should sanction a dirt track series. Let anybody around the country run in the series as long as theyre within the limits and qualifications that NASCAR and the track theyre running sets (just like every track in the WORLD has specific qualifications to run ANY race), run it multiple times a week, just like in the good ol' days, have the drivers accumulate points and then have a "championship" run just like in the bigger series with whomever has the most points regardless if we know who they are or not.
Think about it, it'll support local tracks, literally ANY track that can have the ability to run late models can participate. You'll get more people out there running, more spectators out there in DROVES because the name is slapped on the series, and the big name guys can run in them too. You can even run the races the weeks of the big 3 series and run them close to the track. Maybe even do promotions for discounted tickets or whatevee when you go to a bigger series race. It'll bolster the crap out of those small tracks, also promote attendance to big series races, AND it'll get names seen of all those dirt racers WE know as locals that are talented out there for people to see. AND it would be cheap for nascar to run. And they wouldnt NEED a series sponser because it would be cheap to run. So all that money goes into the facilities and sanctioning bodies pockets to promote better racing across the board. And best of all, the tracks that it doesnt work out on, there are always other tracks to run.

I mean I'm not a businessman, so the logistics and such of it all is beyond my knowledge. But i think it would be cheaper for the teams to come up with a late model car than for teams to convert a cup car to dirt car. Instead of spending an ungodly amount of money on a cup chassis, engine, yadda yadda (I'm unsure of how much that costs but I assume its 1000 times more than a late model), the teams car go get a competative late model that they can run more than once for a sliver of a fraction of the cost. And imo, it would be alot more fun to watch them drive the cars theyre meant to on dirt, than to try and run a cup stock car on dirt. Trucks on dirt are great. And the races at eldora ARE good. But I dont enjoy them more than going to a local track and watching late models run. And it could also help nascar with their own promotion of their websites and apps and such. Like NBC and Fox sports does. Which is how I watch NASCAR now anyway. Cause with that like Fox and NBC has "reruns" that you can go back and watch races you miss amd stuff like a dvr. I dont have cable so thats how I watch the races. I think NASCAR probably has their own thing like that but I dont know. Haha. Sometimes I just want to watch some damn dirt/lower tier series racing. Lol. I know thats just MY opinion, but yeah. Even if the cup cars and xfinity do get on dirt, id still watch anyway. Lol.

Whatcha think? I know its a rambling ramble of crap, but yeah. Haha

All this stemmed from a conversation about the cup drivers racing on dirt and how everybody is clawing to get them there while our local dirt tracks are closing. Everybody screaming "go back to the roots or NASCAR" while leaving the REAL roots of local racing to smolder out. At least around me anyway. 3 closures for dirt tracks and 1 asphalt track closure in the last 4 years.

Obviously if cup cars were to race eldora the next logical step would be the Charlotte dirt track. 2 races a year justifies building a special car. And Charlotte would be the mecca for "All forma of stock car racing" having a road course an oval and a dirt track at the home of NASCAR encompasses all types of venues. It would be a cool selling point for promoters and season ticket packages.

Funny some think that they need to build the admiral's barge to race on dirt. Did anybody see Norm Benning pass some really good trucks. So much for the little guy having a problem. More bracing will be necessary and teams will take their worse aero car, or one that has been put together from two who were wrecked. You don't need a big motor as only part throttle is needed, different springs and shocks for the setup is about it.

@BobbyFord It would give smaller teams a chance to bring in a dirt ringer with his sponsors and fan interest. Plus if they adopt a heat/LCQ format like eldora, those teams would get way more exposure than a normal cup weekend. If ARCA teams can afford dirt racing twice a year don't tell me multi millionaire cup owners can't.

Would a dirt ringer be any more effective in a heavier Cup car than an road course ringer?

As to the original post, there are already dirt series for those who prefer to run that style of racing. What's to gain by NASCAR starting another one? You're not going to get Cup drivers to show up more than a few times a year; they've already stopped commuting to X races when they aren't at the same track. I don't see this doing anything but cannibalizing existing tracks, series, and drivers.

I think if a joe shmoe with a regular job can run a competative late model car, I think cup teams can absolutely afford it

Would a dirt ringer be any more effective in a heavier Cup car than an road course ringer?

As to the original post, there are already dirt series for those who prefer to run that style of racing. What's to gain by NASCAR starting another one? You're not going to get Cup drivers to show up more than a few times a year; they've already stopped commuting to X races when they aren't at the same track. I don't see this doing anything but cannibalizing existing tracks, series, and drivers.
Very good points!

But I mean, if everybody wants dirt, why not give them a televised series with dirt? I mean that's everybodies big gripe right now is wanted cup and X on dirt. I mean the additional program all year probably wouldnt cost what 1 cup race at a dirt track would.

I mean I really have no idea, as I dont know alot about budgets per race for cup and how much it costs a year per team to field a late model car either. So its all just jabber and speculation as far as I go. Lol

Dirt ringer isn’t going to beat a Cup driver in a Cup car on any track.

Still a dirt ringer provides a better chance of a higher finish truck ringers have been competitive at eldora plus more eyeballs from fans who could care less about stock cars but a dirt racer in that world will have some Cross pollination of interest. The cup series desperately needs a schedule shakeup 2 points paying dirt races a year. That is the way to go.

I think if a joe shmoe with a regular job can run a competative late model car, I think cup teams can absolutely afford it
Cup teams won't be competing with Joe Shmoe, they'd be competing with other Cup teams. Costs to stay competitive would go up faster that an unrestricted lap at 'Dega.

Give Cup drivers spec cars or impose a salary cap a la '24 Hours of Lemons' or other $500 series. No receipts, no race.

Last edited:
Dirt ringer isn’t going to beat a Cup driver in a Cup car on any track.
Dave Blaney would give his former playmates something to worry about. He's the only dirt regular I can think of with the necessary experience, but I've acknowledged I don't follow dirt very closely. Tony Stewart, of course, but he's not really a dirt ringer at this point; he's more like a Cup ringer getting dirty when he feels like it.

IMSA midget points leader Logan Seavey led 54 laps and was running away with the lead until a caution came out. A dirt ringer can damn sure win the race. BTW Bell, and Larson have both won at Eldora, and Seavey beat Bell in a midget in Bell's backyard.

they should just bring back to prelude to the dream,it was the best of both worlds,and made alot of money for charity.

NASCAR sanctioned a touring dirt late model series once up a time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busch_All-Star_Tour

The guys that raced it were my boyhood heroes, and many of the administrative personnel involved in the series went onto bigger (but not better, because nothing was better) things.

These days, I would welcome NASCAR involvement in a professional dirt touring series, but I'm not sure it's needed. The various independent touring series do pretty well. I keep thinking with increased TV coverage, something like the Lucas Oil late model series is going to take off and get wider exposure. Maybe it will and maybe it won't, but there is a lot of high quality professional dirt racing to follow for those that are into it.

NASCAR sanctioned a touring dirt late model series once up a time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busch_All-Star_Tour

The guys that raced it were my boyhood heroes, and....

mine too.

Series Winners
Steve Kosiski, Omaha, Neb. (50)
Joe Kosiski, Omaha, Neb. (45)
Ray Guss Jr., Milan, Ill. (29)
Steve Boley, Oxford, Iowa (22)
Gary Webb, Blue Grass, Iowa (15)
Bob Hill, Story City, Iowa (13)
Dale Fischlein, Independence, Iowa (8)
Brian Birkhofer, Muscatine, Iowa (8)
Ed Kosiski, Omaha, Neb. (8)
Roger Dolan, Lisbon, Iowa (7)
Willy Kraft, Lakefield, Minn. (6)
Curt Martin, Independence, Iowa (4)
Kyle Berck, Marquette, Neb. (4)
Jeff Aikey, Cedar Falls, Iowa (4)
Bob Helm, Milan, Ill. (3)
Billy Moyer, Batesville, Ark. (3)
Ken Schrader, Fenton, Mo. (3)
Denny Eckrich, Oxford, Iowa (3)
Bob Dominacki, Bettendorf, Iowa (2)
Rick Egersdorf, St. Paul, Minn. (2)
Tony Izzo Sr., Chicago, Ill. (2)
Jay Johnson, West Burlington, Iowa (2)
Dave Eckrich, Tiffin, Iowa (2)
One victory: Rick Beebe, Dave Birkhofer, Dave Chase, Dan Dickey, Ryan Dolan, Sonny Findling, Steve Fraise, Rollie Frink, Tom Hearst, Johnny Johnson, Jim O'Connor, Johnny Saathoff, Ed Sanger, Gary Wilson, John Anderson, Bill Frye, Terry Neal.

Back
Top Bottom