Any coverage of the Roar?

Discussion in 'Sports Car Racing' started by Charlie Spencer, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Anybody know of any coverage of IMSA's Roar Before the 24? That might be a nice way to kill a lousy weather weekend.

2. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Live timing will be up but I don't know of any streaming. Radio Le Mans has done live coverage the past couple of years but I'm not sure they're doing it this year with the 24H of Dubai coming up. There might be some stuff on twitter and I know a few good YouTube channels that always post video pretty quickly from the Roar.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  3. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I'd also expect Racer.com to have some live updates going.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  4. Charlie Spencer

Some future Friday morning in late January, my Darling Bride is going to wake up and find a note saying I've gone to the Rolex and I'll be back Monday.

LouieLouie and FLRacingFan like this.
  5. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

6. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

7. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

8. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

9. Charlie Spencer

Thanks. Those Prototype noses are going to take some getting used to for me, visually.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  10. Sticked

Sticked Too much countersteer

Pretty darn good-looking nonetheless.:dirtbike:

FLRacingFan and Charlie Spencer like this.
  11. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

12. Pat

Pat Team Owner

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/marcel-fassler-escapes-injury-massive-corvette-fire-010817
    MarcellCorvette.JPG
    John Dagys Jan 8, 2017 at 11:45a E
    Marcel Fassler has escaped injury following a massive fire for the No. 4 Corvette C7.R in Sunday’s penultimate test session at the Roar Before the 24.

The Swiss driver bailed from his GT Le Mans contender after it caught fire while entering NASCAR Turn 2.
    The incident brought out a lengthy red flag period for cleanup, with the cause of the fire unknown.

Fassler had shared driving duties of the defending Rolex 24 class-winning Corvette with 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Champions Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner.

More to come…

FLRacingFan and Charlie Spencer like this.
  13. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

They packed the other car up and bailed before the final session. Sounds like some sort of issue with the fuel line but nothing in particular so far. Doesn't look like it'll be a very fun rebuild.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/corvette-parks-no-3-car-packs-up-early-after-fire/

14. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

15. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

16. darlingtonfan

darlingtonfan Jackman

Thanks for all the videos,I can see why my son is more interested in this racing rather than NASCAR.Maybe it's time to look at the cars in NASCAR.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  17. Charlie Spencer

If you haven't taken a look at it, this is a good time. The cars in the top Prototype class are moving to new chassis, bodies, engines, and / or manufacturers this year. The cars in the GT Le Mans and Daytona classes are a lot more like showroom and street cars than anything NASCAR has run in decades. The Coke 600 has nothing on the four endurance races in the season, the shortest at Watkins Glen being a mere 6 hours. FS1's coverage has far fewer commercials than their NASCAR broadcasts. They run timed races rain or shine, so you can program the DVR reliably. The season schedule is shorter with fewer races than Cup or even Trucks, so you don't get burned out.

Of course, if you don't like road courses, it won't be your thing.

FLRacingFan and darlingtonfan like this.
  18. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

19. Sticked

Sticked Too much countersteer

Can't wait for the 28th. This looks like it's going to be good as always.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  20. Charlie Spencer

Whenever I look at Roar coverage, I always get hit with this reality check:

"Hey, this is what Daytona looks like when the cars aren't jammed together in one big wad!"

I'm usually adjusted to it by the time the Rolex itself rolls around.

FLRacingFan and darlingtonfan like this.
  21. darlingtonfan

darlingtonfan Jackman

I really like how this series racing cars look like the street versions.It is not a group of similar cars with different manufacturers decals placed on them.My son may convert this Nascar fan into a sports car racing fan..

22. Charlie Spencer

No reason you can't watch both. IRL too!

FLRacingFan and LouieLouie like this.
  23. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Crew Chief

I don't really have any articles to support my next statement, but looking back at the creation of IMSA, I think it has been a great thing for sportscar racing by merging the two old series. It has only been 3 years and they already have significantly more television time than in the past. From a personal standpoint, I have followed the Rolex 24 for the past two years, and I have watched other IMSA races throughout the past two years.

I'm looking forward to the Rolex 24!

darlingtonfan and FLRacingFan like this.
  24. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

No doubt about it. Both Grand-Am and the ALMS were in less than ideal spots before the merger. Finally, U.S. sports car racing and the Rolex are gaining relevance on a global scale again and the crowd gets bigger each January I go.

darlingtonfan and LouieLouie like this.