April possible date for future spring NASCAR PIR race?

I can't believe people aren't showing up to Phoenix because of the heat. 85 degrees in Kansas with humidity is much worse as a fan.

Though really, I don't see how fans (one including myself living nearby) benefit from the "West Coast swing", yeah it helps the teams a lot for costs to do that, but having 3 races in the same broad area of the country doesn't help attendance, IMO.

So, I guess Phoenix should be able to pack them in come November without the MLB conflict. :D
IIRC the November Phoenix date sells out regularly, right?

What date in April is Phoenix hoping to acquire? It would have to be a switch with an existing April race. Does it make sense to move Martinsville to March? Bristol? Texas? Richmond? I don't think so.

It is clear NASCAR should only hold races on Tuesday mornings. Then there will be no conflicts.

Don't you mean, "No excuses"?

I must admit I did not go to the race...or even watch it on TV.

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to NASCAR for my lack of support but something extremely important came up.

One of our cats, Goldie, likes to sit on the screened-in back porch and talk to the birds at the feeder. So, since it was a nice day, I sat out there with her and explained to her and her bird friends that before their time the best drivers with the best cars and best crews used to win races and the drivers with the most wins were considered the best drivers.

We agreed that we can hardly wait for the awards ceremony this fall when NASCAR crowns their Segments Champion.
I wonder what the trophy will look like?...a 5-pound pink participation ribbon made from sheet metal that fell off Danica's car?

Goldie tried to give me a bath. I think she sensed I felt dirty, talking about the new NASCAR.

And here I thought the lack of fans was due to the cars being too loud..... Now I read that it's the competition with the Cactus League. I'm guessing the Cactus League isn't suffering the same lack of fans that NASCAR is. If that were the case, the Cactus League would have to change their Sunday date.

Pre-season baseball is now our downfall? What's next?
I know I am late, and someone else has already stared, so I will understand if you ignore this reply, but spring training is very big here, it seems like every city in the Metro Phoenix area has at least one baseball team , we are have more spring training here than we know what to do with. So, I can see that taking fans away from the NASCAR races .
This is the list of teams that train here

Plus Vegas and Fontana are all within 8 hours of use, so I think this west coast swing is hurting some of our attendance , before those two tracks, you had people coming from those two states , now they have their own track and dont have to drive 8 hours.

I think it would be a good idea to move the race back to April , but I love night racing so I would very happy to get a night race back.

Last edited:
If 95 degree weather in Phoenix is now a problem, better build a dome or relocate northward (like to Canada). They're setting records for the most 100 and 110 degree days year after after.
Yes, but the last few years here, the temps for the NASCAR weekend was not as hot, it was in the mid to high 80's.

I know I am late, and someone else has already stared, so I will understand if you ignore this reply, but spring training is very big here, it seems like every city in the Metro Phoenix area has at least one baseball team , we are have more spring training here than we know what to do with. So, I can see that taking fans away from the NASCAR races .

Plus Vegas and Fontana are all within 8 hours of use, so I think this west coast swing is hurting some of our attendance , before those two tracks, you had people coming from those two states , now they have their own track and dont have to drive 8 hours.

I think it would be a good idea to move the race back to April , but I am love night racing so I would very happy to get a night race back.

I would buy the West Coast Swing as a more legitimate problem. I'm sure many fans would have attended more than one of these races before but don't now.

I would buy the West Coast Swing as a more legitimate problem. I'm sure many fans would have attended more than one of these races before but don't now.
I want to tend to agree, it would make the most sense.

I think it would be a good idea to move the race back to April , but I love night racing so I would very happy to get a night race back.
I have no doubt that spring training's big there. It is in Florida as well. I don't think anyone's trying to degrade or diminish the enthusiasm of the Phoenix area MLB fans.

My only point is that they are now trying to tell us that it has a big impact on the fans in the stands @ PIR. Why now and not in the past? Did all of these teams just start training there this season?

Forget that we are even talking about PIR and baseball. Think about any other track or any other time on the schedule. Excuses are always made about the lack of attendance at NASCAR races. Fingers are always pointed at outside factors being the cause. That's wasted effort on NASCAR's part. Look within the sport itself to improve the on track product.

Back
Top Bottom