Article on Dick Trickle

Great article. I knew about his grand daughter but nothing of his health problems.

Folks on here are so quick to judge the back markers of the sport , the Dave Marcis' , the Kenny Wallaces , the Bobby Labontes , the Kenny Schraders , the Todd Bodines , the Dick Trickles ...but when you read the whole story , these guys have every right to be out there persuing their passion for racing . Older fans stood up and cheered for Ken Schrader last week when he got that pole and they cheered Norm Benning for just qualifying , not because there was a chance either could win , but because they were in the show. Dick Trickle would have gotten a standing ovation just for showing up.IMO

Thanks for posting that a great read, the old school racers were the best.
Dan Patrick and Oberman were just to stupid to recognize that they were snarking one of the greats.

Folks on here are so quick to judge the back markers of the sport , the Dave Marcis' , the Kenny Wallaces , the Bobby Labontes , the Kenny Schraders , the Todd Bodines , the Dick Trickles ...but when you read the whole story , these guys have every right to be out there persuing their passion for racing . Older fans stood up and cheered for Ken Schrader last week when he got that pole and they cheered Norm Benning for just qualifying , not because there was a chance either could win , but because they were in the show. Dick Trickle would have gotten a standing ovation just for showing up.IMO

A good point, but I think Trickle was way better than anyone on your list of worthy drivers. Just my two cents, and I am nitpicking a little. I was happy for Schrader and Norm last week, I like Kenny Wallace too.
But Trickle was a late model or ASA god imo, something akin to being the standard for his type of racing. It is a shame that the majority of racing glory days wasnt in Nascar, I would love to see him the HoF.

Wow, that was a well written and very insightful article.

I remember reading this shortly after it was published a few years ago. Still brings a tear to my eye. Trickle is a LEGEND in my neck of the woods (even more than Brett Favre, which says a lot). When I last met Dave Marcis a few years back I asked him who his racing hero was and he looked me square in the eye and said "The Dick".

I just noticed this ''Checkered Flag '' segment........ I also remembered reading the article when it was published..... but..... it is worth reading over and over from time to time..... It was written so well and chronicaled the life of a true racer that flew under the radar for most of his career ...... I was always a fan of his..... much like Harry Gant..... they both started in Cup when they would now be considered over the hill....... It just doesn't seem like it's been over 4 years since he died.......

Reading thru the comments after the article was also worthwhile.......

I just noticed this ''Checkered Flag '' segment........ I also remembered reading the article when it was published..... but..... it is worth reading over and over from time to time..... It was written so well and chronicaled the life of a true racer that flew under the radar for most of his career ...... I was always a fan of his..... much like Harry Gant..... they both started in Cup when they would now be considered over the hill....... It just doesn't seem like it's been over 4 years since he died.......

Reading thru the comments after the article was also worthwhile.......

^ good bump

Back
Top Bottom