ARX America’s Rallycross

Can’t say that I’m impressed with that . What was the big hold up that it took almost til Feb to get released. I guess Gateway was holding it up ? They couldn’t find any tracks that wanted the series so they took a while to lock that one in ? Mid Ohio , Trois Rivieres and COTA were announced a while ago.
I’ve seen people complain about GRC and it’s parking lot circuits (which I thought were great and went to quite a few of), but it would be better to have those than what we have now...
I think the final few years of GRC they did ten rounds at 8 locations(couple of double headers in there), they had better fields... This sucks...
Last year they just got the series started, really late after GRC demise , so I gave them a pass on the schedule ... but this year...
I’m not from the west coast but where is a California or Las Vegas round ??? Those were always some of the bigger GRC events...
I’ll attended one round last year (they only had 3 in North America...) , I’ll definitely attend 2 or 3 this year . But this is very disappointing... I loved GRC , hate to see what has become of rallycross in North America

This isn't rally racing, the GRC wasn't either IMO. Rally racing has always been forever a European sport. They got nothing for the Europeans and I doubt they ever will with the U.S. population and Gov't red tape.

This isn't rally racing, the GRC wasn't either IMO. Rally racing has always been forever a European sport. They got nothing for the Europeans and I doubt they ever will with the U.S. population and Gov't red tape.

Rallycross isn’t traditional rallying, that’s right. But Rallycross is its own thing , it is also a European thing. Check out FIA World RX, Nordic Rally X, Rallycross France, British Rallycross championship. They all run the same type of supercars as GRC and ARX.
The races in countries like Sweden and Norway are HUGE. Giant crowds.

I am well aware what Rallycross is and like I said it is a European thing and yeah it is popular in Europe because of the rally culture that has been present for decades. Very similar to the relation of Nascar and the lower series here in the U.S. for an example.

I am well aware what Rallycross is and like I said it is a European thing and yeah it is popular in Europe because of the rally culture that has been present for decades. Very similar to the relation of Nascar and the lower series here in the U.S. for an example.

Well you said it isn’t rally racing and then put a link to some timed rally stuff. Is world RX, Nordic Rally X, etc... rally racing then ?

Yeah I liked the GRC and the racing they produced. I'm not really sure what happened in that ordeal but this is a trimmed down version. Seems they only have Volkswagen and Subaru cars now. Are they on TV like GRC was? I seen nothing on their page that said anything about TV.

I really think it's something NASCAR should look into buying. It'd be a perfect companion event for NASCAR that could run mid week before race weekend or at tracks that don't have all three series present.

Rallycross isn’t traditional rallying, that’s right. But Rallycross is its own thing , it is also a European thing. Check out FIA World RX, Nordic Rally X, Rallycross France, British Rallycross championship. They all run the same type of supercars as GRC and ARX.
The races in countries like Sweden and Norway are HUGE. Giant crowds.

The hillside crowds in Europe are badass. World RX is great.

Well you said it isn’t rally racing and then put a link to some timed rally stuff. Is world RX, Nordic Rally X, etc... rally racing then ?
I meant that literally not figuratively, if that makes any sense. Kind of like boat racing in the bathtub compared to an actual boat race. Yeah they both are boat races. I watched the GRC when it was on the tube. I thought it was a good start, but it didn't gain momentum

Yeah I liked the GRC and the racing they produced. I'm not really sure what happened in that ordeal but this is a trimmed down version. Seems they only have Volkswagen and Subaru cars now. Are they on TV like GRC was? I seen nothing on their page that said anything about TV.

I really think it's something NASCAR should look into buying. It'd be a perfect companion event for NASCAR that could run mid week before race weekend or at tracks that don't have all three series present.

GRC actually had a lot of races at NASCAR tracks during NASCAR weekends before 2014. I think they mostly ran after the Xfinity series race. They ran at New Hampshire, Bristol, Charlotte... I think Texas and maybe a couple of others. You can find a lot of those races ESPN coverage on youtube. Most of the tracks sucked though. Didn’t even have a dirt section usually

Should be renamed MRX: Midwest Rallycross.

The schedule sucks. Personally for me, Mid Ohio twice is convenient for me but I’d prefer one visit there along with another track. Really I’d prefer 8 or 10 rounds like GRC had. They should have at least had a few more double headers to make the schedule look bigger...

I wish ARX had a longer schedule and visit more of the country. I'd love for them to come to the Southeast so I can watch the race in person.

I wish ARX had a longer schedule and visit more of the country. I'd love for them to come to the Southeast so I can watch the race in person.

I was extremely disappointed with that schedule. I had high hopes for this year, since last year seemed like it was basically just a test season (all of the races were just support races for the World Championship, quickly thrown together).
6 rounds, the midwest 4 times, Texas and Quebec... Not really sure what they were thinking. The west coast especially was always a part of GRC (California, Las Vegas and Washington). Not sure how they screwed up so badly.
Is what it is, hopefully they will have a decent season this year and can expand next year. Though, the World Championship having major struggles over the off season may have hindered some of the effort for putting ARX together (basically all of the major manufacturers/teams have pulled out of the WRX for 2019 and it looks like they will barely have enough teams running for the Championship).
In addition to ARX, Travis Pastrana's Nitro Rallycross will be returning to Utah this year, though the dates have not been confirmed yet.
Confirmed teams so far:
Subaru : Patrik Sandell, Chris Atkinson, Scott Speed
Volkswagen : Tanner Foust, 2nd car (Driver TBA)
Loenbro Ford : Steve Arpin, 2nd car (Driver TBA)

It has been confirmed that Foust and Arpin will both have team mates, but no word on who. I am assume Ken Block will not be racing the full season since there has been no announcement yet. I'm guessing both Pastrana and Block will be running Nitro Rallycross this year since they are both highly involved with putting that event together. Hopefully a a new full time team or two will be announced. The series (just like GRC was) seems like its on pretty thin ice...
7 full time cars split between 3 teams is pretty rough. If one team (especially Subaru with the 3 cars) decides to pull out of the series, the series is pretty much dead. Hopefully it can stabilize over the next year or so. When I first started watching GRC they regularly had 12 cars (And at a few events 13 or 14).

Well, if nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what Scott Speed can do in the Subie. That thing has been a dog that only gets worse with each generation, unfortunately.

Well, if nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what Scott Speed can do in the Subie. That thing has been a dog that only gets worse with each generation, unfortunately.

Yep, that will be very interesting. The issue wasn't the drivers though (the current 2 or the 2 before them), but supposedly Subaru has new cars, so hopefully that will help. I expect to see a dominant season by Tanner Foust, but we'll see what happens!

In line with everyone else here, I am disappointed with the puny schedule. You surely cannot make a living from 6 races.

Should have went to Vegas & California market. I also wish a Rallycross Series would run a race at Pikes Peak International Raceway (I think they did in 2011) the week before the hill climb.

They announced the TV deal and live stream.
Tape delayed on cbs sports.
Free live coverage of every lap on Facebook.
The first round is this weekend at Mid Ohio, check it out on facebook live if interested!

They need a west coast round at/near SEMA Las Vegas week or Los Angeles area for something, and a southeastern track... maybe Charlotte Dirt Track or something like that.

Is there an entry list?

They need a west coast round at/near SEMA Las Vegas week or Los Angeles area for something, and a southeastern track... maybe Charlotte Dirt Track or something like that.

Is there an entry list?

Entry list will be out Wednesday. They say there will be some driver announcements before then. Hopefully some are supercar driver announcements. Only 7 supercars known to be there so far

Weren't the car counts pretty bad last year? What manufactures are in ARX? Subaru?

It's a shame rally racing can't hold down some stability or some decent support.

So far they have the 3 factory Subaru cars. I believe the Andretti team is still receiving support from VW (that is 2 cars). The 2 Fords of Arpin's team had factory support last year when Block drove for them, but i believe they are back to being a privateer team, and are in fact using their old cars from GRC this year, not the new Fords from last year.
I think they had 8 or 9 cars at every round last year, so i'm guessing they will try pretty hard to get a couple of extra entries. Its a shame Block or Pastrana don't do the full rallycross thing anymore.

Round 1 at Mid Ohio starts tomorrow.
All ARX Supercars and ARX2 (lites) qualifying sessions (heat races), semi finals and finals will be shown live on the Americas Rallycross Facebook page. Highlights show on CBS Sports on Wednesday .
Q1 starts tomorrow at noon with Supercars Q3 on Sunday at noon.
7 Supercars entered, 7 lites and 6 Sierra ARX3.

Full schedule :
http://midohio.com/media/attachments/2019/05/29/5.28.19_arx_fan_schedule-2.pdf

Full entry list:
http://midohio.com/media/attachments/2019/06/07/01-mid-ohio-entry-list.pdf

Finals are today at just after 2 pm. Live stream on Facebook

Finally Subaru wins a RX race. Sheeeeeesh!

Scott Speed is a jackass, but damn has he found a niche in rallycross. He's fantastic to watch.

To think this is the same guy exiled from F1 over a decade ago.

Scott Speed is a jackass, but damn has he found a niche in rallycross. He's fantastic to watch.

To think this is the same guy exiled from F1 over a decade ago.

I'd really like to see what he can do in World RX. But yeah he is attaining a grip of hardware for sure.

I'd really like to see what he can do in World RX. But yeah he is attaining a grip of hardware for sure.

I would like to see that too! I do think Speed is the best driver in the series, I've attended about a dozen GRC/ARX races... the guy very rarely makes a mistake. He is very good, however, the Subaru's are definitely much improved this year! Will be interesting to watch the rest of the season. Definitely after that round, Scott is the guy to beat for the championship. Some bad luck though, and Foust, Arpin or one of the other Subaru's could take it! Pecoy impressed in his first supercar weekend as well!

Back
Top Bottom