As a Spotter for over 30 years

When the series would go to Daytona and talladega, what were your thoughts and feelings spotting there? Was it a track you enjoyed spotting at... a place you didn’t look forward to... or did it make much difference to you?

I imagine the spotters would be communicating quite a bit more with other spotters, trying to help organize a move between a few different cars... is that what would happen a lot for plate racing?
I really enjoyed spotting any where, it was my job and you had to make the most of it, didnt matter if it was a half mile or a super speedway, you had to learn each one and what you could do to help the team and your driver. Daytona and Talledega of course were their own animal, rarely could spotters talk to each other during the race but that was true any where, we didnt have time to walk down and talk to anybody under green flag conditions, we could sometimes make eye contact with a particular spotter and make hand gestures but verbal communication was almost impossible. 9 times out of 10 a deal with another team or car concerning a pit stop would be done by a runner in the pits and they would carry a message from CC to CC. Daytona and Talladega, Its far to difficult to predict runs on the track and where you should be when one is coming, no amount of planning can help you with that, its to fluid.

Hey Spotter, what did you think of ADillon's spotter call on the Bowyer move? If you were Bowyer's spotter would you have told him anything?

When there was a serious wreck involving a driver who you were not spotting for, how would you (if at all) communicate it to your driver? Would you lie and say everything's fine or would you be honest and let your driver know it was a serious situation?

Hey Spotter, what did you think of ADillon's spotter call on the Bowyer move? If you were Bowyer's spotter would you have told him anything?
To be honest I havent heard it, is there a link? Andys a good friend of mine so I'll try to be impartial. ;)

When there was a serious wreck involving a driver who you were not spotting for, how would you (if at all) communicate it to your driver? Would you lie and say everything's fine or would you be honest and let your driver know it was a serious situation?
I'll tell him what I know, if its pretty serious we are more than likely under red and I can get info from the others spotters and NASCAR then relay it.

It wouldn't have mattered if Dillion had ten spotters. Watching the replay, Boyer cut down from the top lane had contact shortly after that mid track, and Dillion continued to force him down the track until Boyer was up against the double yellow down at the Bottom and Boyer held his ground. Dillion felt that contact way earlier.
starts at the 48 second mark. Maybe on Radioactive when it comes out it will have his spotter, but I think it is a non issue, spotter or not Dillion wasn't giving way.

It wouldn't have mattered if Dillion had ten spotters. Watching the replay, Boyer cut down from the top lane had contact shortly after that mid track, and Dillion continued to force him down the track until Boyer was up against the double yellow down at the Bottom and Boyer held his ground. Dillion felt that contact way earlier.
starts at the 48 second mark. Maybe on Radioactive when it comes out it will have his spotter, but I think it is a non issue, spotter or not Dillion wasn't giving way.

That's possible, AD was all over him immediately if it was all on him, it is a non-issue since it's just hyper aggressive plate racing with weather in the area. This is what BK was talking about with "bad blocks" being thrown though. Bowyer had position on him, trying to block that (weather or not) is just wrecking yourself in front of the field. At least wait until he's farther up on your door if you want to be that aggressive with 30+ imo.

Spotter, from what I remember of the replay live, Andy gave him the green light to come down then took responsibility for making the call. Can't find a link to it. Like SOI said no big deal, it's plate racing, it happens. Was just curious your thoughts.

@Spotter22 how common is it to speak in code in order not to give away a strategy.

Like maybe an abstact comment or one with seemingly little value by a CC means to do the exact opposite on the very next set of instructions.
Would he say something wow a long race today to que up immediately say we are taking on 4 tires during this caution pit, with everyone on the team knowing they are only taking on two right side tires.

Or is that commonly considered to cute or complex and a recipe for miscommunication?

@Spotter22 how common is it to speak in code in order not to give away a strategy.

Like maybe an abstact comment or one with seemingly little value by a CC means to do the exact opposite on the very next set of instructions.
Would he say something wow a long race today to que up immediately say we are taking on 4 tires during this caution pit, with everyone on the team knowing they are only taking on two right side tires.

Or is that commonly considered to cute or complex and a recipe for miscommunication?
As every married man knows, that is standard communication for wives.
If you continue that for 3 hrs. a week, the driver won't get confused.

Do you feel that drivers should have the ability to talk directly to other cars /spotters in their team?

The code word stuff wasnt around much when I was doing it but its def taken on an important role now. We would make a stop and have the guys put the lefts up on the wall like we were gonna go 4 then drive off without changing but the crew chief had already passed along what we were gonna do without radio communication.

Who are you spotter for right now? What are the best drivers you've spotted for in the Cup series?

Great thread!! Glad somebody dredged it up from 3 years ago :-D

As John Wayne said in Rooster Cogburn. " Iam retired, relieved and rejoicing!" I've only Spotted for Spencer in the Cup series so its Jimmy by default.
That's pretty neat. Spencer was a very popular driver in his time. Thanks for sharing.

Skimmed this. What an awesome thread. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering!

You mentioned having to make "clear" calls by inches, and having the confidence to make those calls, and own it. Have there ever been any mistakes you've made that cost your driver a good finish, and how common is it? Do you feel guilty? It sounds like the margin of error is incredibly small, and most spotters seem to be on their game 99% of the time. How do you differentiate between a good spotter, and a great spotter?

What's the loudest you've ever seen the fans react to a racing incident/accident?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Skimmed this. What an awesome thread. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering!

You mentioned having to make "clear" calls by inches, and having the confidence to make those calls, and own it. Have there ever been any mistakes you've made that cost your driver a good finish, and how common is it? Do you feel guilty? It sounds like the margin of error is incredibly small, and most spotters seem to be on their game 99% of the time. How do you differentiate between a good spotter, and a great spotter?

What's the loudest you've ever seen the fans react to a racing incident/accident?

Yes I've made many mistakes but most were early in my career and sure I've cost my team a good finish here and there but nobody is gonna do this job and come away squeaky clean. Nobody. Do I feel guilty?I think its more disappointment than guilt. Like I let everyone down but we all know you win as a team and lose as a team and most of the guys know that. The difference between a good spotter and a great spotter is someone who will make that call. Someone who sits down with his driver and tells him you gotta trust me. If I make the call and they hesitate it can go wrong quickly thats why you need 100% trust, even if you have a situation where you put them in a bad spot everybody has to have a short memory.

The loudest was probably when Earnhardt chopped Labonte at Bristol and then the reaction after the race was insane.

Back
Top Bottom