Atlanta #2 Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Night time is the right time.

1688392853625.png

1688393097368.png

This is one of the few remaining golden opportunities for the 9 team. Time is running out

• Sad
Reactions: Pat
I wish we could swap this race with Daytona II lol. This may be interesting, Atlanta is probably the best plate track right now.

I'm not. As someone who has to be at work at 6:30 Monday morning, I'd prefer night races be on Saturdays (if they have to be on the schedule at all).
Same here, I work early on Monday's as well. Looking at the early TV ratings from Chicago ( 3,858,000 ) "Sunday Night NASCAR" is here to stay or at least for the summer races.

Over/under on cars not involved in a wreck at some point is set at 6.5

Goodyear Fast Facts — Atlanta​

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 19 – 260 laps / 400 miles
Atlanta Motor Speedway (1.54-mile oval) – Hampton, Ga.
Fast Facts for July 8-9, 2023

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Superspeedway Radials

Set limits: Cup:
1 set for qualifying and 9 sets for the race
(8 race sets plus their qualifying set)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5174; Right-side — D-5188

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,264 mm (89.13 in.); Right-side — 2,278 mm (89.69 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 20 psi; Left Rear — 22 psi;
Right Front — 52 psi; Right Rear — 50 psi

Storyline – Atlanta winner will be Goodyear’s 2,000th Cup winner all-time: Every race is important for The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, but this week’s NASCAR Cup event at Atlanta Motor Speedway will mark a special milestone for the tire maker. This Sunday’s victor will be the 2,000th in Goodyear’s long and storied history in the series. From the company’s first NASCAR premier series victory with Jim Reed at Darlington Raceway in 1959 to No. 1,000 with Jeff Gordon at Bristol Motor Speedway in 1995 to this weekend, it has been an impressive run. Goodyear ran its first NASCAR test in 1954 and has been the exclusive tire supplier in the Cup Series (as well as in Xfinity and Craftsman Truck) since 1997.

“We are extremely proud of our long-running association with NASCAR, and very happy to celebrate our 2,000th Cup winner this weekend at Atlanta,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “It’s amazing if you think about how much race tires have evolved over the decades. Back in the 1950s we were literally running street tires on stock cars. Through all the years and all the testing and development, we have worked with NASCAR and the best teams and drivers in the world to get where we are today. Most recently, moving to the 18-inch bead diameter tire in the Cup Series has been a massive project, and we have even advanced that with several developments since the beginning of last season. This weekend we will celebrate our 2,000th winner at Atlanta as we look forward to 2,000 more in the future.”

Notes – Goodyear returns to Atlanta on spring tire set-up: Being on the 18-inch bead diameter tire, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity Series at Atlanta this week . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires Cup teams ran at Atlanta in March . . . this is the only track at which these teams are scheduled to run either of these two Goodyear codes . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2023.

Once again, looking like 40% chance of rain at 7pm and at least dropping slightly as the race goes on.

It appears ticket sales are pretty good for this race. Still a lot of empties in the upper sections going toward turn 1. Those are more expensive than the comparable seats toward turn 4. We'll what it looks like come Sunday night.

Possibly, but who wants to throw there car into turn 1 with 35 other cars and not know anything about your car

Possibly, but who wants to throw there car into turn 1 with 35 other cars and not know anything about your car
That will happen when they qualify at Atlanta. The Trucks had practice yesterday and qualifying at their Mid-Ohio road course.
1688831044064.png

I think the NASCAR app is drunk. Listing qualifying for cup at 5:45 and a practice at 7:05 lol

I just miss the 3 day format where you could adjust and tinker

Practice at plate tracks is useless, nobody wanted to get in big packs and take the chance of wrecking and you get nothing out of running around not in a big pack. Drafting with your teammates in a 3-4 car single file pack doesn't do much.

They did it for most of 2020 with minimal ill effects. Until practice was discontinued at plate tracks, many teams skipped the final rounds anyway. Apparently they felt the chance of damaging the car outweighed any potential gains.

If people want teams to run practice, don't (re)built tracks so there's nothing to learn.

Feel like hot Atlanta will race like old pre-plate Daytona with some lifting in the turns. But it's at night so oh well
I think so also and it will be by design because being overly aggressive is counter productive I think we will see some very competitive early action to gain track pos.

lol at Bubba. Trying to claim a mechanical issue on blowing his get up to speed lap. Bubba just admit you got loose. Several cars before you did, its ok nobody is gonna fire you over it

Back
Top Bottom