Atlanta Pre-Race Thread

I can't convince Mom to replace the 32" set. "It fits in my entertainment center." (from a 27" CRT circa 2004.) There's a 50" in the den that she didn't mind buying a stand for, but swapping them cannot be considered.

I am, but not as much as years past. A little eye surgery is keeping me from going to the track. :(
Sorry to hear about your surgery, hope all is well. I'm just glad theres a race this weekend.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Atlanta​

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 2 – 260 laps / 400 miles Atlanta Motor Speedway (1.54-mile oval) – Hampton, Ga.
Fast Facts for February 24-25, 2024

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Superspeedway Radials

Set limits: Cup: 1 set for qualifying and 9 sets for the race (8 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5174; Right-side — D-5228

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,264 mm (89.13 in.); Right-side — 2,278 mm (89.69 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 20 psi; Left Rear — 22 psi; Right Front — 52 psi; Right Rear — 50 psi

Storyline – NASCAR opens 2024 season with second straight superspeedway race: Atlanta Motor Speedway is now entrenched in the superspeedway group of tracks for the NASCAR Cup Series, meaning Cup teams will run the same package they ran at Daytona International Speedway last week and will run at Talladega Superspeedway in April. Being repaved and reconfigured for the 2022 season, Atlanta has an extremely smooth racing surface, which does not naturally wear tires. Goodyear counters that by bringing a tire with less tread thickness (gage) to help that process along. A tire with less gage allows more heat to dissipate through the tread and run “cooler,” thus running at a more optimal grip level.

“Atlanta has produced some great racing since it officially became a superspeedway,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Atlanta was always a fast track, but the old, abrasive racing surface really degraded tires quickly. Since its repave a couple years ago, NASCAR has decided to run the superspeedway rules package there and that has really changed the racing. The smooth track surface is extremely fast and that, combined with the racing package, makes for an exciting race.”

Notes – New right-side tire for Cup cars at Atlanta: Being on 18-inch bead diameter tires, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity and Craftsman Truck Series at Atlanta this week . . . this left-side tire code debuted at Atlanta last March . . . this is a new right-side code, featuring a construction update compared to what Cup teams ran at Atlanta last season . . . this is the only track at which these teams are scheduled to run either of these two tire codes . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires.

Willy B has won 2 of 4 since the reconfigure
Good for BJ McLeod 78 to show up. Hope he can enter more races as an open car. Wish the 60 RFK & 62 Beard Oil would enter.
I’m guessing NASCAR doesn’t care much about giving open cars more $$$ in the new TV deal.
Everything NASCAR has been doing is to cut costs so guys like BJ and Beard can afford it
They purposely keep the open car money low to ensure they won't make a profit. That's the only way you give value to a charter
The RTA and NASCAR are working on cutting costs you are looking at around a Savings of $4,000 on practice tires and since they can bring every crew in on Saturday morning you are saving Friday Hotel bills conservatively figuring it would cost $300.00 a night times 5 rooms ( for the small teams) so that's another $1,500 dollars, Per deims per crew member of $100 per day x 10 that's another $1000. Charter prices are really up to what you wanna pay for it and if its higher that means you have a healthy sport
Atlanta has the potential to race like old Daytona with more track aging, once tire wear gets into play more I think you'll see the draft break up regularly. Kind of like a Superspeedway/1.5 mile hybrid. I thought the 2 races there last year were pretty good, especially the second one.
Possibly, Grip Level and off throttle time will be interesting

What the hell are you talking about.

I’m sure his questions made sense to him. Not everyone is great at explaining things. His post sounds about like how I sound in person. I’d sound like that online too, except there’s a backspace button that allows me to try again.

Reactions: Pat
What the hell are you talking about.
looked it up verses asking….according to Jayski
First…….there are 36 chartered teams. That means they are guaranteed to race no matter what as long as they have a car to race
second……37 cars are entered for this weekend
third……..the total number of cars for this weekend is set at 40

back to my Chase Elliott example, he could wreck all his cars and borrow a car from Kyle Larson and still race
because there are still 3 open spots
in this example a charter is not needed except for better finishing money

and 3 more cars could race this weekend all the have to do is enter and show up

First…….there are 36 chartered teams. That means they are guaranteed to race no matter what as long as they have a car to race

back to my Chase Elliott example, he could wreck all his cars and borrow a car from Kyle Larson and still race

Not trying to be rude but you're just noticing this? 40 cars have been able to start since the beginning of the charter system. Outside of Daytona and a few select marquee races they NEVER get more than 37-38, and usually it's just the 36 chartered teams. There's no money in running as an open team. It's been like this for 5+ years.

If it was as easy as "just showing up" to be break even on $$, someone would do it as an open team. But, all rumors have pointed to that running as an open team doesn't even pay for the hauler diesel and tire bill just to get to the damn track.

Now before you go for a what about Daytona with 40 cars? Remember the purse was over 28 million bucks, the largest in history. Everybody and their little dog too were running a car in that Daytona race that payed that well and some went home anyway trying.

Not trying to be rude but you're just noticing this? 40 cars have been able to start since the beginning of the charter system. Outside of Daytona and a few select marquee races they NEVER get more than 37-38, and usually it's just the 36 chartered teams. There's no money in running as an open team. It's been like this for 5+ years.

If it was as easy as "just showing up" to be break even on $$, someone would do it as an open team. But, all rumors have pointed to that running as an open team doesn't even pay for the hauler diesel and tire bill just to get to the damn track.
Ok, got it, it’s what I get for just watching the final ten laps of a race

I watched your best race ever video
Corey won by a back bumper!!

1708696392594.jpeg

Reactions: Pat
Pretty lame having 6 restrictor plate races a year & schedules Clashing.
Could not agree more. Speedway races have become so boring. They used to be so exciting. That parade in the 500 of fuel saving where the pack was going slower than a single car was just embarrassing and why so many people I know have stopped following the sport. I am sticking with it because I have been for over 30 years but sometimes I am just not as interested as I once was. I am having a hard time getting pumped up for this weekend because I know it will be more of the same. Maybe Vegas will be good next week.

Could not agree more. Speedway races have become so boring. They used to be so exciting. That parade in the 500 of fuel saving where the pack was going slower than a single car was just embarrassing and why so many people I know have stopped following the sport. I am sticking with it because I have been for over 30 years but sometimes I am just not as interested as I once was. I am having a hard time getting pumped up for this weekend because I know it will be more of the same. Maybe Vegas will be good next week.
Do yourself a favor and do something else this weekend. Next week the REAL season will start for ya.

The sport is ever evolving...Who talked about saving fuel before the 500? I didn't hear much. For every move, there is a counter move....who is to say that circumstances might dictate a different move/counter move?

Do yourself a favor and do something else this weekend. Next week the REAL season will start for ya.

Why do you get upset if someone criticizes NASCAR? Someone can still like something overall while not liking every aspect of it. It's ok to offer criticism, you don't need to get your panties in a bunch every time it happens. The whole point of a message board is to discuss the topic. This includes things you like and dislike about it.

Why do you get upset if someone criticizes NASCAR? Someone can still like something overall while not liking every aspect of it. It's ok to offer criticism, you don't need to get your panties in a bunch every time it happens. The whole point of a message board is to discuss the topic. This includes things you like and dislike about it.
It's passion man. @StandOnIt loves the sport. There is a place for passion here....and a little banter as well IMO.

For real. I mean, it’s great to love NASCAR as much as this guy does. I’m glad he feels that way. Unfortunately everything has flaws, and NASCAR is no different. Not every aspect of the sport is perfect, and that’s okay.

Who is upset? Dude the original poster with the cut and paste deathbed is the one upset. Get a hold of yourself.

It's passion man. @StandOnIt loves the sport. There is a place for passion here....and a little banter as well IMO.
Eh, most of them want to do nothing but complain, and when anybody has a rebuttal they crawl in the corner and act like they are the victim.

I mean was anybody embarrassed watching the auto races this weekend? Thatz nutz, go get help.

For real. I mean, it’s great to love NASCAR as much as this guy does. I’m glad he feels that way. Unfortunately everything has flaws, and NASCAR is no different. Not every aspect of the sport is perfect, and that’s okay.

Because there are far more people who will bash everything NASCAR does even to to point of being hypocrites about it. Those people actively hurt the sport and there is a balance needed to it. I get far more of SOI's posts than the millionth "I hate this thing NASCAR did and I'm going to make sure you know about if it's relevant or not" post that so many want to make. It's to the point of they don't even discuss it they beat you over the head with things they hate that are decades old.

Everything NASCAR has been doing is to cut costs so guys like BJ and Beard can afford it

The RTA and NASCAR are working on cutting costs you are looking at around a Savings of $4,000 on practice tires and since they can bring every crew in on Saturday morning you are saving Friday Hotel bills conservatively figuring it would cost $300.00 a night times 5 rooms ( for the small teams) so that's another $1,500 dollars, Per deims per crew member of $100 per day x 10 that's another $1000. Charter prices are really up to what you wanna pay for it and if it’s higher that means you have a healthy sport.

NASCAR & its teams have had an increase in TV money in NASCAR Cup that will go to the charter teams that spend spend spend $$$ on unnecessary crap like constant sim time. NASCAR should be helping out open cars with more money for open entries, I don’t know, maybe they are in the new 2025 TV deal but I doubt it.

I think 2 day shows are fine for cutting costs sometimes, but they still need 1 hour of practice in each series & they need to find another IROC/SRX type series along with late model short tracks, mods & dirt tracks & whatever other entertainment to fill the gaps on Friday’s at these NASCAR weekends.

Having open cars and more DNQ’s more often is vital to a healthy sport, IMO. I would love to see the Beard Motorsports #62, BJ McLeod #78, MBM Motorsports #55/#66, NYRacing #44 brought along full time even if it meant occasional S&P’s/early out tire excuses monitored by NASCAR.

And then you’d have more DNQ’s with the RCR #33, RFK Stage #60 23XI #67, Project #91 car all showing up as well.

(Wish Penske brought back the 02 for Juan Pablo Montoya or someone decent at the Brickyard 400)

NASCAR & its teams have had an increase in TV money in NASCAR Cup that will go to the charter teams that spend spend spend $$$ on unnecessary crap like constant sim time. NASCAR should be helping out open cars with more money for open entries, I don’t know, maybe they are in the new 2025 TV deal but I doubt it.

I think 2 day shows are fine for cutting costs sometimes, but they still need 1 hour of practice in each series & they need to find another IROC/SRX type series along with late model short tracks, mods & dirt tracks & whatever other entertainment to fill the gaps on Friday’s at these NASCAR weekends.

Having open cars and more DNQ’s more often is vital to a healthy sport, IMO. I would love to see the Beard Motorsports #62, BJ McLeod #78, MBM Motorsports #55/#66, NYRacing #44 brought along full time even if it meant occasional S&P’s/early out tire excuses monitored by NASCAR.

And then you’d have more DNQ’s with the RCR #33, RFK Stage #60 23XI #67, Project #91 car all showing up as well.

(Wish Penske brought back the 02 for Juan Pablo Montoya or someone decent at the Brickyard 400)
The individual tracks get the most out of the TV deal and they set the purse for the race, so SMI will need to step it up also

More DNQs -may- be healthier for the sport but uncharted teams can't last long these days if they miss the race on a regular basis.

That's why the pack races have the most entries. If they make the fields, the pack format gives them the best chances of being competitive and scoring a semi-profitable finish. Even if the field isn't full, there's not much reason to show up at a 1.5er or road course when you're going to run 34th and lose money being there.

Back
Top Bottom