Atwood has one shot

H

HardScrabble

Casey has been out of a ride since last November, but has a one race deal to run the 91 R and D car for Evernham. He drove this car once last season as well.

Atwood will drive the No. 91 Dodge Intrepid in the Pocono 500 on June 8, the team said Thursday. The car will be sponsored by Mountain Dew LiveWire, a new soda that will be available only this summer.

Make the best of it Casey.

Come on Casey, finish in the top 10...you have your chance right here!! :) Cant wait til Pocono where Ward has his 300th start and Casey races( I wanna see how he does! )... :bounce:

I wondered if Evernham would give him 1 more chance, hopefully the car will be good so he has a chance to prove to everyone that he can still race. The kid had an ego problem,i'm sure he has been humbled by the experience.

but it has to make you wonder too if Ray came up with some new technology to try out...could be a make or break day for in more ways than 1...

Maybe this is a tryout for the 19 again? Mayfield is gone from the 19.

Originally posted by robby.31.is.#1@May 2 2003, 10:01 AM
Maybe this is a tryout for the 19 again? Mayfield is gone from the 19.
i would bet that Ray has to be questioning that move, Mayfield and that team are just way off

Something to note:

Casey in the 19 car in 01 = 89 ppr
Mayfield in the 19 car in 02 = 95 ppr
Mayfield in the 19 car in 03 = 85 ppr

No improvement at all, actually the team is regressing.

I thought Mayfield and Evernham would click a little better than they did. Just goes to show what I know. :D

Wish Casey luck, but with these one race deals, It'll be hit or miss. My prediction is he will be too agressive and crash out. Pocono is a pretty tough track and he might be a little green.

I hope he does good and shows ray the mistake he made!!

Side note I hope that new Moutain Dew is better than the upside down 7up crap! :bleh:

Ray has something up his sleeve for certain.....maybe new micro-technology has allowed him to shrink the TCD even more.Under a coat of (Dupont)paint last time---even smaller this time?mmmmm...... :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by PettyBenson4510@May 2 2003, 05:59 PM
I hope he does good and shows ray the mistake he made!!

Side note I hope that new Moutain Dew is better than the upside down 7up crap! :bleh:
Ray didn't make a mistake. As a team owner, Ray Everbham did what was necessary by releasing Casey. There was friction with both the 19 and the 7 team when Casey was the driver. Casey perormed poorly in personality and effort, reportedly walking out on the Smith team at one time and making it difficult for those who had to work with him.
If Casey fans are going to hope anything, wish Casey "good luck" and thank Ray for giving Casey a second chance he might not have gotten from anyone else.

I agree whizzer, i read that same thing you just stated some where also. Atwood has talent that is for sure ,but has no idea what the team concept is. Mayfield has not jelled with his team ,after last season i expected a huge impovement in that team. They just can't seem to get everything together, Bill on the other hand has showed signs of promise, if weren't for mechanical woes, he would have had a few more decent finishes. The entire Evernham camp needs a shake up IMO, it is very unlike Ray to not have his teams in contention every week. I'm sure this is weighing heavy on him,also he is probably getting pressure from Dodge to perform better too. I look to just before mid-season as a key point in their progress,if things are not turning around for both teams there will be a driver change for the 19 or a crew chief shake-up. Bills' team also will undergoe changes if things don't shape up. Evernham is an intense competitor and will find a way to win again before the season ends.

Whizzer and mopardh9

You are correct, at least to what I have heard. Casey has earned himself kind of a bad rep around the garage. The frustations he experienced last season manifested themselves in ways which proved self destructive to his racing career in NASCAR. I can only conclude that Ray feels the boy has talent and can succeed at this level of competition. What Casey does is entirely up to him.

I recall hearing or reading that a couple of teams talked to Casey about driving for them this season. I do not recall who or in which of the series, but the story as I remember it was that Casey and his father felt the opportunities were with teams not competitive enough.

I would question that call. Casey will be lucky to impress anyone enough in a one shot deal like this one to earn his way back into the game. It will be near impossible for him to impress anyone sitting back home in Tennessee.

One of the teams was a split ride offer with Herzog Motorsports HS and apparently it was Casey's dad that stepped on some toes with regard to those negotiations. Todd is doing quite well with that team and now I think they are glad they did not go the split driver route. I gotta agree with the latest comments that Casey was not really "abandoned" by Ray. Casey had some growing up to do and needs to do some talking for himself as well. Regardless of what daddy thinks is good for him he really needs some seat time and some 'sperience!

Kel

Well now that the RCR ride is open , maybe he will get another shot, i doubt that will happen , but who knows. I agree too that his dad needs to step back some and let Casey make his own decisions.

I really kind of hope Casey doesn't get the ride in the 30 car. I think he would be very successful if he did. I like Casey, but don't have much use for RCR. I think Casey's considerable talent will eventually win over his baggage. There is too much money at stake at this level to hold grudges against someone who has that kind of talent. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom