Audi drops DTM

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
The writing was on the wall for this series when Mercedes dipped.

I'm not surprised. DTM has now died once again, but it wasn't fun to watch in the last few years anyway.
They have lost most of their fanbase by dropping popular races and instead going to places like Brands Hatch, Misano and St.Petersburg.

They shouldn't even bother competing in 2020.
That’s about how I feel too. It certainly had its time but I haven’t really watched with some degree of regularity in two or three years.

I figure it’s only a matter of time before BMW pulls the plug now. Both Audi and BMW focusing more on customer racing would be better for more series anyways.

That’s about how I feel too. It certainly had its time but I haven’t really watched with some degree of regularity in two or three years.

I figure it’s only a matter of time before BMW pulls the plug now. Both Audi and BMW focusing more on customer racing would be better for more series anyways.
They don't have a choice unless another manufacturer can be found but no manufacturer will enter an expensive gasoline-powered championship during a time of worldwide economic instability.

They don't have a choice unless another manufacturer can be found but no manufacturer will enter an expensive gasoline-powered championship during a time of worldwide economic instability.
Most likely option this late in time would be a goofy engine-badging exercise like with Aston Martin/HWA last year. I agree though, it’s the end of the road.

Most likely option this late in time would be a goofy engine-badging exercise like with Aston Martin/HWA last year. I agree though, it’s the end of the road.
HWA even said DTM wasn't really worth it.

A shame that the series is pretty much done for, I feel for everyone who are losing their jobs over this. Berger is still the man in charge, I wonder what's next for the series if it continues?

Just before Audi dropped, as in a week or two ago, Hans-Joachim Stuck suggested running GT3 in DTM. There’s already a good amount of GT3 saturation across the world and in Europe, but on top of that there *is* already GT Masters based in Germany too. Seems like just strengthening GT Masters is the best play here.

If you wanted to get creative I’d say collaborate with SRO on licensing the GT2 regs and run something with those but again, probably all a lost cause at this point.

GT Masters is also quite fan-friendly, like DTM used to be.
I'm considering going to the race at my home track in early October (if fans are allowed by then)
That was my next question, I watched DTM replays when I have the chance. I know you're a lot younger than a lot of us, but why has DTM faded away like it has? Was it taking the "Touring Car" nature out of the sport? This things are completely different from what I remembered back in the 00s. It seems like costs have gotten out of control for the series making less sense for manufacturers to participate.

That was my next question, I watched DTM replays when I have the chance. I know you're a lot younger than a lot of us, but why has DTM faded away like it has? Was it taking the "Touring Car" nature out of the sport? This things are completely different from what I remembered back in the 00s. It seems like costs have gotten out of control for the series making less sense for manufacturers to participate.
This isn't the first time this series has died. In the 90s costs got out of control, they tried to turn the series into a world championship named ITC but the series didn't get any attention abroad so Opel and Alfa pulled the plug after 1996.

The first race I watched was the Nürburgring race in 2010 and even though only 2 manufacturers participated in 2010 and 11, it was fun to watch. 2012 and 2013 were even better after BMW had rejoined the series.
I'd say the decline began in 2014 when the "option" tire was introduced and the races became lotteries. If the caution came out and a driver had started the race on option tires he was ******. Then there were a lot of stupid penalties (e.g. driving three seconds slower the next lap for exceeding track limits) and bumper-usage was impossible because the cars became hyper-sensitive.
DTM always wanted to be "F1 for touring cars" so the cars became more complicated over the years and they did a lot of races at places where no one gives a damn about DTM. Most manufacturers are focusing their development on electric cars now, so spending all the money on a national series without a big fanbase outside of Germany, Austria (where they don't even race anymore) and the Netherlands wasn't worth it anymore.
Finally, what pissed off a lot of fans was the never-ending team orders. By the second half of the season, manufacturers would always ensure that their best-ranking driver in the Championship finishes first among their entries. The negative highlight for me was when Dr. Ullrich instructed one of his drivers to push out both Wehrlein and Wickens at Red Bull Ring in 2015.

FWIW, this is the schedule for DTM's farewell tour:
10.07.–12.07. – Norisring (GER)*
01.08.–02.08. – Spa-Francorchamps (BEL)**
14.08.–16.08. – Lausitzring (GER)
21.08.–23.08. – Lausitzring (GER)
04.09.–06.09. – Assen (NED)
11.09.–13.09. – Nürburgring (GER) Grand-Prix-Kurs
18.09.–20.09. – Nürburgring (GER) Sprint-Kurs
09.10.–11.10. – Zolder (BEL)
16.10.–18.10. – Zolder (BEL)
06.11.–08.11. – Hockenheim (GER)

Norisring was cancelled one day after the schedule was announced. Spectators might be allowed by September.

According to Gerhard Berger, if DTM continues beyond this year it's going to be a GT3 series. Berger said GT Masters is a "hobby event" and not a professional racing series.
The last thing we need is a second national GT3 series.
Yeah that doesn’t even make sense. For a “hobby series” GT Masters has a lot of pro drivers and teams...

Good luck I guess. Without the cars being uprated I don’t see how it’s supposed to pan out. Is single driver versus co-drivers supposed to be enough difference?

Gerhard Berger gave a press conference about the future of DTM last weekend. The series will continue with private teams and GT3 regulations.
Berger (not the ITR) will be in charge of the series and said 50% of the races would be in Germany. Audi and BMW have already announced that they will participate in the "new" DTM.
The ADAC does not agree with Berger's plans for a GT3-DTM and announced the GT Masters would be called "International German GT-Championship" starting next year.
This is what I feared would happen and it's likely not going to help either series. It might actually be the end of GT Masters as they get only 50,000 TV viewers for their races on Sport 1 while DTM broadcasts average around 500,000 on Sat.1.

Gerhard Berger gave a press conference about the future of DTM last weekend. The series will continue with private teams and GT3 regulations.
Berger (not the ITR) will be in charge of the series and said 50% of the races would be in Germany. Audi and BMW have already announced that they will participate in the "new" DTM.
The ADAC does not agree with Berger's plans for a GT3-DTM and announced the GT Masters would be called "International German GT-Championship" starting next year.
This is what I feared would happen and it's likely not going to help either series. It might actually be the end of GT Masters as they get only 50,000 TV viewers for their races on Sport 1 while DTM broadcasts average around 500,000 on Sat.1.

Sounds like what Pirelli World Challenge was before the SRO ruined it. Could be fun but definitely seems like it’ll hurt GT Masters.

To actually make a difference between the new DTM and GT Masters, Gerhard Berger had a variety of ideas including banning ABS and traction control while introducing standing starts and DRS.
So far we know the cars will have traction control and ABS, while there will be rolling starts and no DRS.
The only difference to GT Masters would be that there are two drivers per car in GT Masters and only one in DTM.

There is also a schedule for 2021:
1) St. Pete
2) Monza
3) Norisring
4) Lausitzring
5) Zolder
6) Nürburgring
7) Red Bull Ring
8) Assen
9) Hockenheim

To actually make a difference between the new DTM and GT Masters, Gerhard Berger had a variety of ideas including banning ABS and traction control while introducing standing starts and DRS.
So far we know the cars will have traction control and ABS, while there will be rolling starts and no DRS.
The only difference to GT Masters would be that there are two drivers per car in GT Masters and only one in DTM.

There is also a schedule for 2021:
1) St. Pete
2) Monza
3) Norisring
4) Lausitzring
5) Zolder
6) Nürburgring
7) Red Bull Ring
8) Assen
9) Hockenheim
Pretty disappointing. Between no HP increase, not disabling driver aids, and success ballast I don’t think there’s much to be excited about.

Loic Duval summed it up pretty accurately:
"I don't understand why there are two GT3 championships in Germany. It would make more sense to combine them. We already have so many championships in motorsport. I can't understand this. What's the reason?"

1996 ITC champion Manuel Reuter says it's going to be deadly for motorsports in Germany.

Still weird seeing this field take shape for 2021. McLarens and Ferraris - not a whole lot of ‘D’ nor ‘T’ about that.

I’m just not sure Europe and Germany especially needed another GT3 series. I guess if they can get at least a dozen cars it might be a success for this year at least?

There won't be any factory teams in DTM this year. I am curious to see how many teams make the switch from GT Masters.
Looking forward to the TC classics races though
DTM could have stayed in the same vein as BTCC/WTCC/TCR, but technology advancements and yada, yada, yada.

This series became to complicated and expensive, no turning back at this point.

not a whole lot of ‘D’ nor ‘T’ about that.
Berger was considering to drop the D a couple years ago.

Red Bull Ferraris are looking pretty cool though.
1613243200252.png

1613243206523.png

Last week I started watching races from the 1996 ITC season. While it was the most complex and most expensive touring car series of all time, it's still a lot of fun to watch.
I wish someone would bring back the Helsinki Thunder.

I read that they still anticipate being the fastest GT3 series after all through more aggressive BoP. The Porsche naturally has a lower power number than other cars and its absence means they don’t have to drag other cars down to its level, meaning another 40-70 HP compared to what other GT3 series run. The best time in testing at Hockenheim was about three seconds quicker than the GT Masters pole last year.

Sad to see it come to this as it used to be so great to watch with the manufactures involved and so many drivers I enjoyed.

The Australian Supercars have managed to continue as a strong series.

Back
Top Bottom