Austin Dillon's Nationwide Ride

For those who don't know Chevrolet decided not to use the Camaro in Nationwide competition because fitting it to NASCAR's Nationwide templates altered the profile of the car to a dgree that it was no longer recognizeable as a Chevrolet Camaro without putting stickers all over it.
Another reason is that it is Out selling both the Challenger and Mustang.

From GM's main man:

GM's Mark Kent said "because of the need to have templated bodies in that series, we felt that by forcing the Camaro into the Nationwide templates we were compromising the body lines of an iconic car."

.... templates altered the profile of the car to a dgree that it was no longer recognizeable as a Chevrolet Camaro without putting stickers all over it.
Another reason is that it is Out selling both the Challenger and Mustang.

"

I'd like to see the stats camero vs Mustang for the last 3 years

Nice looking ride for Austin. I hope to see him do well and bring that 3 back to Cup where it belongs.

I'd like to see the stats camero vs Mustang for the last 3 years

2011 - As of Aug 31st
Camaro - 46378
Mustang - 40035

2010 - Camaro - 81371
Mustang - 73716

2009 - Was not a full model year for Camaro but it out sold Mustang in June,July, August, Sept, Oct, November and December.

From GM's main man:
GM's Mark Kent said "because of the need to have templated bodies in that series, we felt that by forcing the Camaro into the Nationwide templates we were compromising the body lines of an iconic car."

That's a load of horse pucky. The Impala is a front-wheel drive 4-door door stop. Get over yourself, GM! JEEZ!

2011 - As of Aug 31st
Camaro - 46378
Mustang - 40035

2010 - Camaro - 81371
Mustang - 73716

2009 - Was not a full model year for Camaro but it out sold Mustang in June,July, August, Sept, Oct, November and December.

But remember Mustang has had the reto look since '05.

That's a load of horse pucky. The Impala is a front-wheel drive 4-door door stop. Get over yourself, GM! JEEZ!

I have seen a sketch of the proposed Nationwide Camaro, in order to fit the templates the roof height and the height of the window openings where almost doubled, the hood instead of being flat became arced and tapered to the front and the rear deck was stretched.
It did'nt look like the showroom cars at all, where as the Impala has a good resemblence.
I'd rather see all Ponycars that resembly the showroom models.

2011 - As of Aug 31st
Camaro - 46378
Mustang - 40035

2010 - Camaro - 81371
Mustang - 73716

Also, the last year the Mustang was fully redesigned: 2005. So a 7 model year old Mustang sells nearly as well as the "new" Camaro is a win in my book.

Good article on RCR and the Dillon boys:

http://www.nascar.com/nationwide-series/news/111105/adillon-rchildress-family-ties/index.html

Richard Childress "I think there is a lot of stock you can put in a number. It something we gave a lot of serious thought before we even put it on the very first RCR car," Childress said. "I don't think it will make you win or lose. I know the reason I put the 3 on my car the first time was because it was cheaper to do one number rather than the 96." :p

Back
Top Bottom