automatic or manual transmission for racing...

E

El Lobo

I was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of racing with autmatic or manual were. And is there a big difference... thx :)

Automatics are for the shiftless drivers, they have too much power loss compared to the manuel. I haven't kept up with racing for quiet a while, but I do remember Jim Hall's Chaparral being quiet successful in SCCA racing years ago. I had a "secret" automatic that Carol Shelby wanted to know about.

Manual transmissions have an advantage. Being able to hold the engine at high RPMs through a corner will of course make the car faster but if the car had an automatic it would downshift slowing the car down. F1 drivers have many choices for transmissions. If you watch onboards like Montoya and sometimes Rubens they both often use a semi-automatic gearbox, so they manually shift through some and let the car shift through other corners. The car can also be programed to only do up-shifts or down-shifts. Many many choices for transmisions, hope that clears things up a little.

Back
Top Bottom