Bad Season With a Good Ending

J

JG2018

I looked up some stats and found a few interesting facts. In Tony's rookie season he finished 4th in driver standings with 3 wins and a total of 4774 points. In his championship year has 3 wins and 4800 points, a mere 26 more points than his rookie season. Are you all as astounded as I am that his championship season isn't much better than his rookie season? I also think it's worth mentioning he would've won the title by 12 points had all championship contenders of '99 had a season equal to that of the contenders of '02, assuming Stewart's numbers in '99 stay the same.

Nobody took control of the points lead this year and that's why the numbers are so low. The performance wasn't there for anybody so it was up for grabs. A number of people could have taken the title this year if not for mechanical troubles and stupid mistakes.

I think it's called parity. No one driver was really dominant this year.

I think it's called competition.

Just because the points race was close doesn't mean no one was performing, Wouldn't you think that if it's close that means more people were performing? Of course if more people are in contention for the championship then the points are going to get spread out more evenly, bringing the total for the winner down.

Has nothing to do with lack of performace.

I enjoyed the points race this season. You never knew who would pop up in Victory Lane.

As one of the guys said on IWC last night, instead of 10 competitive teams, now there's 20.

Tony was able to ride the roller coaster, his description of his season, and acumulate more points than anyone else. That has always been the measure of the WC Champion

Can't seem to decide how to descibe this season. None of the teams seemd able to sustain long consistent stretches of top finishes. Sems it was just one of those years that happens every so often in that regard.

In many ways it was season like many others. The championship was up for grabs in the final race of the season. The 18th time that has happened since 1975 when the current points system went into effect.

There was not the most teams ever within reach of the championship going into the final race, nor was it the closest battle for the championship in the final standings. It did establish a record for the lowest average per race point toatl for the champion, edging out 1992 for that distinction. Not sure what that means in terms of parity. like I say every so often the racing Gods decide to throw a season like that in.

Parity is hard to measure. This season had 18 different drivers visit victory lane, 17 different teams. Last year had 19. If you figure the number of winners relative to the number of races run, this season you had a new winner every 2.00 races, Not statistically variant form 1988, 1990 and 1991 where that would work out to a new winner every 2.07 races. Last season would mark 1.89 using that scale. 1998 and 1999 would show numbers right at 3.00 as would 1985.

I'm not sure what other measure of parity might be used. Gonna have to ponder on that one, suggestions welcome.

I read today that Joe Gibbs talked about now having two Cup titles to go along with his three Superbowl rings. He said that when Bobby Labonte won the title, he finished every lap except 9. Had anyone done that this year, they would have won by 600 points. Yep, parity has arrived and they are working to make it even more even. That didn't sound right.

As I am still pondering different ways to measure parity, your post confuses me buck.

How does completing, or in this case not completing, laps relate to parity of competition?

Originally posted by HardScrabble
As I am still pondering different ways to measure parity, your post confuses me buck.How does completing, or in this case not completing, laps relate to parity of competition?

Or don't mind me. My middle name is confused. I just threw in the quote by Gibbs. That was from years past. Today, well, what do I mean? :) Uh, today we have parity. Yesterday, we didn't. Did I say that Bobby Labonte completed every lap but 9? Now where was I? Uh, parity. Yep, we got parity. :cookoo:

I say it was the result of competition. More teams were competitive all year long. Probably partially due to parity, but a lot of it goes for some darn good drivers and teams in the sport this days!:D

Back
Top Bottom