Barrichellos crash explained by Ferrari

B

BebiF1

Unusual impacts with the kerbs were the most likely cause of Rubens Barrichello’s suspension failure in last Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix, according to the Ferrari team.

The left-rear suspension on Barrichello’s F2003 dramatically collapsed less than a third of the way into the Hungaroring race as the Brazilian braked heavily for Turn One.

With Barrichello having made no apparent contact with other cars prior to the incident, the cause of the failure was initially a mystery. However, after careful analysis of the available data and after studying video footage, Ferrari say they have ascertained the most likely explanation.

“When he found himself very close to the car which preceded him, Barrichello twice hit the kerbs at an unusual angle of impact at the chicane between Turns 6 and 7,” reported the team.

“The impacts put excessive stress on the leading arm of the upper wishbone of the left rear suspension. This part then broke under heavy braking on the main straight at the start of lap 20.”

Barrichello was running fifth at the time of the accident, three places above the final race position of team mate Michael Schumacher.

I intially reported a driveshaft failure, but their theory does make sense. Although their suspension should be able to undergo some curb pounding and the early failure still doesnt make sense, the video shows the left rear wheel toe in heavily right before the tyre tore itself away from the car. Thus indicating a front a-arm failure.

Yeah that's pretty much what they reported on RPM yesterday. They said the suspension can handle heaps of stress and downforce etc but when put on an unusual angle is another story.

If that's the case, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often?

can't have the cake and eat it too eh? The engineers have got to be crazy guys, I would like to meet em and see what are the priorities of certain componets.

I am kinda intruiged what angle he hit it at, all the curbs they go over at all kind of angles. Hmmm.

Well the curbs are not exactly the problem. They are FIA approved and are closely monitored for changes. As for the suspension components, maybe it is a special angle at which you have to hit the curb, but yes I agree, you would think this would happen more often, and maybe some of these failures we have seen in the past few races, could be caused by this and not just faulty equipment. I.E. Fisichellas spin at Silverstone, Webber at australia, both suffering rear suspension failure. Both Heidfeld and Firman have had front suspension failure this year as well. So as you can see we have 4 teams having suspension failures, so it is a common problem, and not just team related.

Back
Top Bottom