Baseball Talk

muggle not

Team Owner
I thought that I would start a topic on baseball, just to talk about the sport and reminisce about the current teams and players and the good old days when baseball was the National passtime. There may or may not be any/many baseball fans on the forum but thought I would give it a try.

What was your favorite team of all time, not necessarily the best but the one you were a fan of.

well mine is obvious.

But i gotta say the Kirk Gibson home run off Eck in 1988 was my all time favorite Dodger moment.

Least favorite? Bob Welch serving up three gopher ball to Reggie in 1977:mad:

I just finished reading a book on the 1955 World Series between the Yankees and Dodgers. It was a good read of the rivalry that existed and the difference between the two teams. The seventh game of the series was a duel between Tommy Byrne of the Yankees and Johnny Podres of the Dodgers. One of the turning moments in the game was the great catch by Sandy Amoros in left field for the Dodgers and the ensuing double play.

The Dodgers won the series in seven games after coming back from losing the first two games. i remember listening to the 1955 series on the radio when I was younger. :)

I'm a very big baseball fan myself. My favorite team of all-time has to be the 1995 Cleveland Indians. I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and I've been an Indian fan as long as I can remember. My sisters used to take me to several games a year at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. We started going in the mid 1970's. I always had a great time. I remember the first time I saw the field after coming up through all of that concrete. All of that green literally took my breath away. I really liked a lot of those 70's and 80's teams even though they had very little talent.

The '95 team was the first one that really had a legitimate shot at winning a World Series title. They made it to the series but lost to the Atlanta Braves. That was the best offensive team I have ever seen. They had a line-up with Kenny Lofton, Carlos Baerga, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, Eddie Murray, Paul Sorrento, Sandy Alomar Jr, and Omar Vizquel (sp?). They pulled off more wins in their last at-bats than any team in recent memory. They also had a closer in Jose Mesa who was just dominating that year. They also had guys you just had to root for like Orel Hershiser and Vizquel.

I remember the 1954 Cleveland Indians. They had one of the best pitching staffs, ever. Feller was a little past his prime but still throwing the ball well. None better that year though than Wynn, Garcia, and Lemon.

Early Wynn 23 - 11
Mike Garcia 19 - 8
Bob Lemon 23 - 7
Art Houtteman 15 - 7
Bob Feller 13 - 3

Baseball players cannot be judged only by statistics. There are many other things that occur during a game that makes a great ballplayer. A little Trivia that most are unaware of. The great pitcher, Don Drysdale, retired in great part because of his fear of facing a certain hitter. In fact his retirement came immediately after facing this hitter in a game during the season.

Back
Top Bottom