"Best man movie" ?

Whizzer

Gig'em
OHHHHKAY !!!!!!
4xchamp has offered a thread asking for opinions on the best "man movie" and I'm sitting here wondering what is a "man movie" ???
Mostly because before the question of a best "mans movie" could be answered, the question arises, what is "a man"?? So many have responded to the best "mans movie" question is a solid indicator everybody has an opinion on what "a man" is.

According to Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition, there are no less than ten variations of the term "man" ranging from an hominid having an opposing thumb, etc., to a slang term used in direct address.

In the original thread, there were many "man movie" selections thqt ranged from war, rebellion and revenge, but the two questions I would pose are, what is a "man" and why would the "man" choose a particular movie as a "mans" movie. :rolleyes:

But to answer your question I think we should pose it to those NON-men...namely women! They know us better than we do anyway. (And if you don't believe me ask the nearest one. ;))

(Kidding ladies! I love ya'll each and every one!)

P.S---Whiz is gonna scream when he sees how I jacked his thread here. Sorry Whiz-----you know I can't help myself man!---(AKA: hominid with opposable thumbs)

mmmm? No one stepping up to the plate eh? Well, damn the luck.

A man...what is a man? A question that has probably plaqued the male much more than the females since time began.Easy to explain what MALES are...but the term 'Man' is a bit more difficult.

For instance is Ghandi as much of a man as Dirty Harry? The answer should be a resounding:'hell yes'. But then in todays culture you just never know.

I would hazard a guess that it stems from the heart rather than the amount of testosterone. More from will and determination rather than biceps or chest hair. But hell...the question as Whizzer tricked us all into addressing is harder to answer than that. Maybe it's a question of something even deeper. Or maybe I just need to pop Merle Haggard into the old cd player and fire up another Winston.

Good one Whiz old buddy. Maybe you can get some interesting answers to this one. I just hope somebody besides me takes the bait......C'mon guys!

The subject of a "man movie" was not meant to be taken so philosophically.

Most of us know what a "chick flick" is. But none of us would attempt to define a "chick" for this purpose. As the term in this context simply means a movie generally enjoyed more by women than men. i.e. the Yada-Yada Sisterhood kind of movie.

A "man movie" in this context would have a similar, yet contrasting implication. A movie generally enjoyed more by men than women. More of a testosterone-filled tough guy kind of thing. i.e. the examples given by myself and other members here. First Blood, Most any Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson movie, etc.

However on the "what is a man?" subject...

I think of a "man" as...

*Someone who has reached a certain level of maturity.

*Someone who is mentally strong whether or not he has the physical abilities to display his strength.

*Someone who lives up to his responsabilities as a provider, parent, leader in his household, leader in his community, etc.

*Someone who treats everyone with respect, even those who don't return the favor.

*Someone who is secure enough in his "manhood" to show compassion to those who need it regardless of how others may perceive his actions.

I could go on, but I will wait to see what others have to say on this subject.

Interesting 4xchamp, but now it opens another "philosophical inquiry" as to what a "chick flick" is.

Before we get too far away from the original question though, the list so generously provided on the attributes of what is "a man" makes good reading, BUT, is each definition by itself a description of what is "a man" ?? Or is it several of the definitions together ?????

As for "chick flicks", let's see. Are "Sleepless In Seattle", Murphy's Romance", "When Harry Met Sally" all, "chick flicks" ?? And since theoretically, everyone knows what a "man movie" and a "chick flick" are, might I assume, "Shrek", "Nemo" and "Monster's Inc" are kiddie films ???

So be a little philosophical, PUH-LEEZE, be a little philosophical, and offer an explanation as to how many definitions equal one "man movie", what is a "chick flick" and what constitutes a "kiddie film" ??

So many offered contributiuons of what a "man movie" is and only two have offered an explanation of what they think "a man", is.

Anything to break the mold of what many figure "a real man" might or might not, be. :cheers:

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Jan 11 2004, 07:21 AM

I guess I haven't hit that level yet, LOL, since my favorite movies would be Vacation, Stripes, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Porky's & CaddyShack. More recent movies I really like are Tommy Boy, Dude, Where's my Car?, Happy Gilmore, Detroit Rock City & Bio Dome.

Whiz you forgot 97's favorite chic flick the devine secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood. :p

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Jan 11 2004, 04:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Jan 11 2004, 04:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--4xchampncountin@Jan 11 2004, 07:21 AM

I guess I haven't hit that level yet, LOL, since my favorite movies would be Vacation, Stripes, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Porky's & CaddyShack. More recent movies I really like are Tommy Boy, Dude, Where's my Car?, Happy Gilmore, Detroit Rock City & Bio Dome. [/b][/quote]
Hey I just bought Stripes on DVD.

Caddyshack and Fast Times at Ridgemont High are two of my all time favorites as well. :p

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Jan 11 2004, 11:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Jan 11 2004, 11:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Jan 11 2004, 04:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--4xchampncountin
@Jan 11 2004, 07:21 AM

I guess I haven't hit that level yet, LOL, since my favorite movies would be Vacation, Stripes, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Porky's & CaddyShack. More recent movies I really like are Tommy Boy, Dude, Where's my Car?, Happy Gilmore, Detroit Rock City & Bio Dome.
Hey I just bought Stripes on DVD.

Caddyshack and Fast Times at Ridgemont High are two of my all time favorites as well. :p [/b][/quote]
Sweet!

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Jan 11 2004, 09:34 PM
I guess it is just a question of semantics(sp?).
semantics? I just like sophomoric humor! LOL!

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Jan 12 2004, 03:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Jan 12 2004, 03:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--4xchampncountin@Jan 11 2004, 09:34 PM
Semitics? I just like sophomoric humor! LOL! [/b][/quote]
I was refering to Whizzer's original question.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Jan 11 2004, 09:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Jan 11 2004, 09:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Jan 12 2004, 03:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--4xchampncountin
@Jan 11 2004, 09:34 PM

Semitics? I just like sophomoric humor! LOL!
I was refering to Whizzer's original question. [/b][/quote]
Yeah , I know. But if you can't laugh about all things in general including life...why bother?

I haven't seen a really funny movie in quite a while. Although I did see Legally Blond (the first one) the other day and it was pretty funny. Although seeing Reese Witherspoon in a bikini is gonna make any movie much better. ;)

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Jan 11 2004, 09:51 PM
I haven't seen a really funny movie in quite a while. Although I did see Legally Blond (the first one) the other day and it was pretty funny. Although seeing Reese Witherspoon in a bikini is gonna make any movie much better. ;)
Never saw that one...but the girls were really geeked about the fact we got lost in North Hollywood this past summer and they realized that we drove by the same 24 hour quick mart that Alicia Silverstone got dumped off at by her date and got robbed at in the movie 'Clueless'. So, I've been close to seeing a newer teenie bopper movie! :D

Actually, my inquiry was a serious one.
I'm surprised and noted how few replied to the question of, "what is a man" and what makes a movie "a man" movie, a "chick flick" or even a "kiddie film"?

Go ahead, count'em !!!!

So let me get personal here. My favorite movies are:

To Kill A Mockingbird
Sleepless In Seattle
Murphy's Romance
Mr. Robert's
A Few Good Men
Shrek
The Verdict.

No blood and guts, war, people getting killed or high rise buildings disintegrating while Bruce Willis swings from the flagpole to rescue the heroine. So does this make me a non-man?? After all, picking a "chick-flick" is pretty much a "candyass-pansy" choice isn't it??

Would it fall into the same category of hugging my kids in front of everyone, even when my son won his first motocross race ???
Or shedding tears of joy when my daughter won a special award in college??
Crying for a college friend I hadn't seen in over 45, who died in October ??
Or getting feelings of saddness and expressing them to my wife when I learned 97Forever was seriously ill ??

Men come in all styles, shapes and sizes. Some are compassionate, which, unfortunately, is many times misinterpreted as being weak or "unmanly".

I've seen guys sit in the local fire house several nights each and every week drinking beer. Why ?? No home life ?? Afraid to go home for some reason? Or thinking their buddies will taunt or think less of them for going home "to the old lady".

A real man is there for his wife and family. He supports them and they come first. Then come his God and his country.
A real man shows no shame in telling other men how he feels about them as a person.
A real man doesn't make fun of his wife by calling her the "little woman" or "the wife" to impress his friends.
A real man pays his fair share of taxes, his debts, contributes to charity and keeps his word, no matter how inconvenient.
A real man gives his kids some slack if they really do not want to play football or other sport they are not interested in.
And a real man understands his kids don't always meet his expectations.
A real man works hand in hand with his wife.
And a real man shows his wife he appreciates her and her efforts.

Not every marriage is made in heaven and not every wife, or husband, is capable of being all these things to one another and some times deservedly so, but a real man knows when he is wrong and changes from being a boy into being a "real man". Hell, I oughta know !!!!! I wrote the book !!!!!

It seems as if 4XChamp said it best and if someone were to take all the items 4XChamp listed and said they epitomized "a man", then 4xchamp, in my opinion, told the people who read them, the right things.

To philosophical ??? I was looking for serious answers. Few were forthcoming.

Man this cuts right deep Whiz. Although I know better it it hit me right here where I live.

All my life I was asked the very question you brought up.

Down here in gravel and concrete reality the question is one you hear a lot. A man huh? And a serious question.

Hell, half crazy or not I am up to the challenge then.

Sure being a 'man' includes all of the things you listed above as well as many, many others. Like Tom T. Hall said: 'I tried it all when I was young and in my natural prime'.

I fought in a couple of little wars, ran around with a few too many chicks, spit in the wind, smashed bottles against stop signs, shook my fist at the lightning and dared destiny to strike back.

Of course it did as it always seems too. Just this morning I was pondering on what a different person I am now---a different 'man' if you want to use that term--than I used to be. Dare the fates long enough John Rambo or Dirty Harry and it can dare you back. Kind of a damn shame when it takes a man 40 years to realize whats important.

I think I do now--and with that knowledge maybe I came to the conclusion that I am finally what a real 'man' should be. At least now I can take blame when I am at fault, apologize to those I have hurt. See beyond myself and realize we all can be 'men' whether male or female---that those qualities you describe above arent really gender specific. They should be HUMAN specific---with each 'man' standing by each 'woman' that will stand by him.And vice-versa.

As well as the values you mentioned I believe a man should have his own code to live by, his own set of values. Even that long forgotten thing called 'honor' that the old guys I grew up around always seemed to have in spades. I don't now---and never have---mistaken 'Macho' for manliness.

So my exact answer to the question you ask is this: A 'man' is a person who tries to do what they believe in their heart to be right. I mean truly right. We all have within us a little arrow that would point us in the right direction. 'Men' will follow it. A 'man' can be imperfect, because all men are---but a 'man' should always strive to be more than he is. With all my faults I personally have ALWAYS done that much at least. To be a 'man' is to aspire to be something more than we are. Better than we should be---even better than we have to be.

I realize that I have failed time and time again at that. But a real 'man' fights on I guess.

Sorry to get both so deep and so personal--but the timing couldnt have been better for this. Should have just let this be a PM between you and I old friend.

But by the dictates of my heart:

That would have been less than 'manly'.

Wow, I just thought this was double posted topic, and now that I see the questions you ask, I really want to answer them, and I will, but i have to go to class really quickly, so I want to make sure I remember to post it on here later, so if Whizzer or osmeone would send me a PM so It'll remind me later, that'd be great, I certainly can get very philosophical here.

Originally posted by esorlxaw@Jan 12 2004, 03:05 PM
Wow, I just thought this was double posted topic, and now that I see the questions you ask, I really want to answer them, and I will, but i have to go to class really quickly, so I want to make sure I remember to post it on here later, so if Whizzer or osmeone would send me a PM so It'll remind me later, that'd be great, I certainly can get very philosophical here.
Ask and you shall receive, axl. (Well, most of the time.) ;)

Like esorlxaw, I thought this was a double thread. I was going to merge it until I took the time to read it. Now I sit here, tears rolling down my face, applauding 97 and Whizzer.

Their posts came from the heart. It took a great deal of courage to put those thoughts and emotions out here for all the folks to read. Truer words were never spoken about men by individuals who truely are men. I have been made a better person for having met you guys.......grabs tissue, wipes eyes and blows nose......Thanks.

Whizzer...

I like a few of those movies you listed as well, especially A Few Good Men.

That being said, by listing "man movies" I certainly didn't mean to imply that people who don't like those movies are not "real men", if that is how you took it.

My favorite movies I have ever seen run a very broad range. Movies like..

Raising Arizona, Dog Day Afternoon, Caddyshack, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Godfather, Stripes, Falling Down, Pale Rider, Magnum Force, True Lies,Say Anything, etc.

These movies have very little in common except that I enjoyed them tremendously when I saw them. While all evoke different emotions, they all hit the right button at the right time. Had I been in the mood for a good comedy Dog Day Afternoon certainly would not have hit me right. Had I been looking for a deep movie, Raizing Arizona would have fallen woefully short.

Winnie The Pooh and Tigger Too will always have a special place in my heart because I will always remember watching it with my children. Sharing with them something from my youth that brought them joy as well. As well as being a very funny film that makes me laugh even at this age.

In summation, not trying to say real men only watch blood and guts movies. Just trying to share and in a small way celebrate movies that do make us feel the way a "man movie" makes many men feel.

I like NW thank you fellows who have taught me some things in this post. I have a very very good man, and I plan on keeping him for a long time! Thanks to you all for reminding me just how lucky I am to have such a gentlemen, a good father for our girls, and a all around "good" guy!! You guys are special and few and far between--keep up the good work! :)

So it seems I've been reminded to post my feelings and concerns here, which is good, because after the first day of classes, I completely forgot.
So...without any further ado...here goes...
Being only 24 years old, many would question not only my authority on the subject, but also my experience in matters. I, however, have an old heart which has been accused of loving and caring too much. Though being a man does not have its limits in love. They say that you learn only through experience, yet I feel that is a strong oversight on the perceptiveness of children and their ability to learn from the good and bad examples from others. For instance, when I see a friend hit by a car when crossing the street, I learn, through his experience, to look both ways.
Growing up in an environment consisting of home, friends' houses, my Dad's Gas Station, and Sears Point (for drag races, every weekend in season), I was privy to a broad spectrum of male behavior. I was able to encounter many different examples from many different walks of life.
-My Dad's other "son", who adopted my Dad when he allowed him to work open to close at the station seven days a week while in jail for multiple DUI charges. Upon completing his time, he completely turned his life around and we even won a trophy at the drag races together (I as the co pilot at 6, still my only trophy from racing)
- My dad's business partner (and my little league coach) who spent too much time drinking at his shop after hours and not enough time at home with his kids.
-My friend's Dad who held back his money from his wife and consistently made them live with "good enough" instead of sharing his money.
-Abusive Uncles who used mind games to control my Aunts for years.
-A fussy Grandfather who had to have things done for him, but only his way...
These examples, while all negative, allowed me to see the mistakes and misadventures of others on their path to or away from becoming a "man". In this sense, my Dad's friend was able to show me the dangers of abusing alcohol and the results of such behavior. The imminent divorces of my friend's parents and my aunts with their husbands showed me the give and take aspect of marriage and the importance of treating others with respect. My Grandfather's death and the anger of his children toward him that was left unresolved taught me the importance of confronting problems when they come up and leaving nothing unresolved.
I was able to take their negative experiences and learn positive lessons. At the same time, I had a lot of positive influences, such as Mom and Dad, friends' parents, Uncles and other friends who showed me through their actions what it meant to be a "man".
Most importantly, I think even qualifying yourself as a "man" is something left to be determined by anatomy. Being a "human" is what we're really talking about here...being able to properly mix your youthful self with your adult self is the happy medium you must find to truly reach your potential as a human. Finding a way to be a responsible, loving, caring, supportive person who can remain happy, youthful and never losing sight of those things that are most important in life is the challenge of being a "man" or "human". But what are these things?
Responsibility? I believe responsiblity is simply doing that what is expected of you by your superiors and those who depend on you. Doing the things it takes to get along in life, not just what will get "you" along, but helping to promote the well being of others, especially those who depend on you...children, friends, pets, grandparents, parents...
Loving? To love is to live and to live is to love...loving consists of remaining free of anger in the face of bad times. Remembering that (because I don't have kids) when the dog goes pee on the floor that he was probably trying to get my attention and I didn't see him, and besides, he's a little older and sometimes he forgets...instead of yelling or getting upset, simply reminding him of where the potty is, cleaning it up and going on through the day like nothing happened.
Caring? This goes along with loving...best demonstrated when someone you love (and this is an all encompassing love, not a romantic love) is having a bad day (or week) and you listen to them cry about it, talk it out and help them figure out a better way to look at things...not because you feel an obligation, but because you love them and know they would do the same for you in a heartbeat.
Supportive? Being supportive means you give someone your full backing in any endeavor they choose to pursue...even if you think it's the worst idea on earth...swallow your opinions and just help them achieve their goals. This can range from getting a GED to a PhD or just backing up the kid in the sandbox who thinks he can dig a hole to China.
Happy? Maintaining a smile in the face of disappointment, a lost game...a missed opportunity...just trying to stand tall as the example of self satisfaction when adversity surrounds, whether to be supportive of a friend or simply to keep your own spirits up. If nothing else, reminding everyone, through your actions, that everything is okay.
Youthful? You don't have to be young to be youthful...retaining the spirit of youth, the fascination with things you don't understand, the willingness to try new things (food, movies, whatever). Laughing until your sides hurt, making others laugh, never being ashamed to ask questions about things you don't understand.
Never losing sight of those things that are most important in life? Family, friends, spirituality...all of these things serve to enrich our life as much as we enrich them with our participation in them. To forget this is a high offense, yet keeping these in mind and never forgetting to remind those most important to you just how important they are is one of the greatest things of all.
Of course, many of these things involve relationships with other people and things...how are we defined but by our interaction with others? On a more personal level, never being ashamed of your feelings and emotions and realizing that the way you express these things in your life provide other people with a clear example of who you are.

While this may sound like a lot of metaphysical hooey, and many of you will say this reflects my youth, I really feel that I've taken more from these lessons I've learned than many of my colleagues of age. I don't have the wisdom of a long life or the wisdom of raising children...heck, even still being in school prevents me from the wisdom of a career, but I think (and realizing all many of know of me is what I post on here about NASCAR, I don't expect you to believe me) I've managed to etch out a pretty good 24 years of experience in life. Does this make me a "man"? I don't know, I'd love to think I'm a great example of human, yet I know we all have our shortcomings. Seeing that "man"hood is judged by others, perhaps MaBelleMangrum (shhh...she's my girlfriend) can give you a better answer to that one.

Well I felt I should make a comment...

First off.....After whiping the tears from my eyes, all I can say is WOW!

For those who were curious......He is most definitley a man, and more importanly he is my boyfriend, whom I love more than words could ever say! I am a very lucky girl as you all can see.

Great posts guys, I agree 100% with Nascarwoman, You all are what I would consider to be a real "man"

Whoah! Guys, that was very enlightening. Whizzer. 97forever. axl. I must say (and agree with NW and MBM) that I feel very privileged to know you MEN. axl, to me, age doesn't define being a man. And Whizzer, you will always hold a special place in cyberspace with me! You are an incredibly intelligent and wise individual. And, 97forever, what emotion.

Thanks to you all. :wub:

Originally posted by majestyx@Jan 13 2004, 09:35 PM
Whoah! Guys, that was very enlightening. Whizzer. 97forever. axl. I must say (and agree with NW and MBM) that I feel very privileged to know you MEN. axl, to me, age doesn't define being a man. And Whizzer, you will always hold a special place in cyberspace with me! You are an incredibly intelligent and wise individual. And, 97forever, what emotion.

What about me? :eek:

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Jan 13 2004, 04:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Jan 13 2004, 04:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--majestyx@Jan 13 2004, 09:35 PM
Whoah!&nbsp; Guys, that was very enlightening.&nbsp; Whizzer.&nbsp; 97forever.&nbsp; axl.&nbsp; I must say (and agree with NW and MBM) that I feel very privileged to know you MEN.&nbsp; axl, to me, age doesn't define being a man.&nbsp; And Whizzer, you will always hold a special place in cyberspace with me!&nbsp; You are an incredibly intelligent and wise individual.&nbsp; And, 97forever, what emotion.

What about me? :eek: [/b][/quote]
I am truly sorry, 4x. I certainly didn't mean to leave you out. Yours was very touching as well!

Originally posted by majestyx@Jan 13 2004, 10:52 PM
What about me? :eek:

I am truly sorry, 4x. I certainly didn't mean to leave you out. Yours was very touching as well!
[/quote]
Thanks Maj.

Even if you don't really mean it, it was nice of you to say ;)

I second that!!! You men are great! I used a whole box of tissues last night and today reading these!!! :wub: :wub:

MOST of you men of Racing Forums are a lot more in touch with your sensative side than I would have thought, so KUDOS guys and it's a pleasure to know ya! :wub:

Back
Top Bottom