Biffle going home.

97forever

Team Owner
I know the rules about provisionals.Know that Nascar has what they consider a fair way of doing things.Also know that Jack Roush could do better than this.

Hideo makes the field,Cope and Sprague make the field.

And Greg Biffle goes home!A real driver with a real crew chief.Just disappointing. :(

Guess the old John Deere car is still being passed around.Wake up Jack:He has already handed you two titles!

Bad news for Greg, but that was the deal going in.

All Greg and the #16 team had to do was match their practice time and he would have been in on speed. Didn't get it done. That more than anything else will probably concern the cat in the hat.

The 97 car was the John Deere car not the 16.
The best cars made the race. Everyone is in the race who had the most points. Greg was not fast enough so he went home. Hey there is one Rousch car not running very good, thats odd since the others are running good.

When crunch time comes, you've got to get the job done, or pack up and go home. Biffle didn't get the job done.

Some days it's chicken, some days it's feathers.

Just surprising that Greg has not stepped up a bit.His Nascar stats in CTS and BGN are some of the most impressive in Nascar:

CTS---16 wins,12 poles,53 top tens----80 races

BGN---9 wins,7 poles,47 top tens----69 races

I know the competition level is greater in WC,But not Gordon,Stewart,Jr.,Kenseth or Harvick have better records in either of the other two series.Just hard to believe Greg is 'choking' now.Still to early to tell admittedly,but I think he has the Roush 'field-filler car'. :(

Guess time will tell,though.

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 1 2003, 10:39 AM
Just surprising that Greg has not stepped up a bit.His Nascar stats in CTS and BGN are some of the most impressive in Nascar:

CTS---16 wins,12 poles,53 top tens----80 races

BGN---9 wins,7 poles,47 top tens----69 races

I know the competition level is greater in WC,But not Gordon,Stewart,Jr.,Kenseth or Harvick have better records in either of the other two series.Just hard to believe Greg is 'choking' now.Still to early to tell admittedly,but I think he has the Roush 'field-filler car'. :(

Guess time will tell,though.
I think it might be too many hands grabbing at the pizza pie. Jack tried the 5 team thing a few years ago & it didn't work. It's still early, so time will tell.

What I can't stand is that Jack Sprague crashed his primary car in practice, rolled the back up out there & it drove like a tank. He was almost 3 mph slower than Biffle & he makes the show on a provisional. Would have never guessed the #0 team to have more owner points than the #16 team from last year?

I guess subbing for the #55 team last year, all though seemed brillant at the time, has cost them big time this year.

The only solace I'll get of this is the fact that Greg will still probably be ahead of Jack at the end of this race in both driver points & ROTY year points! :lol:

Ironically enough,17,I think Smack Sprague does have more points than Greg from last year.As noted above,If Greg could have matched his practice speed[29th,I think]he would have been here.Just a bad lap,I guess.

Oh well,I am sure he will recover and hopefully run better because of this setback.Not Jamie,Sprague or whoever else is running for ROTY can match him skill-wise,IMO. :)

And you may well be right---Jack may be spreading himself a bit thin now.As much as I like Kurt,Roush has given him every possible advantage he could.Fennig,Mark's crew and cars etc.

I just hope he does the same for Greg,who though apparently not well liked on here,is still one of the most dynamic drivers to come down the road in a while,IMO.

Here's to better luck for the #16 next week! :cheers:

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 1 2003, 12:54 PM
Ironically enough,17,I think Smack Sprague does have more points than Greg from last year.As noted above,If Greg could have matched his practice speed[29th,I think]he would have been here.Just a bad lap,I guess.

Oh well,I am sure he will recover and hopefully run better because of this setback.Not Jamie,Sprague or whoever else is running for ROTY can match him skill-wise,IMO. :)

And you may well be right---Jack may be spreading himself a bit thin now.As much as I like Kurt,Roush has given him every possible advantage he could.Fennig,Mark's crew and cars etc.

I just hope he does the same for Greg,who though apparently not well liked on here,is still one of the most dynamic drivers to come down the road in a while,IMO.

Here's to better luck for the #16 next week! :cheers:
I've liked Greg since NASCAR IMO 'screwed' them out of the truck championship a few years ago. I've seen worse infractions go by, without losing driver points.

It was a fun year last year...saw Greg win at Milwaukee (backing up his win from one year earlier there) & St. Louis. I just had to buy the #60 Team Caliber Owners series 1/24th. :)

I think they'll be more focused after this & everything will improve for them.

hes still a rook, give hime time and i think he will be real good, kid seems like he has alot of talent, and just remember how did busch do his first year?? compared to last year and this year

If nothing else, this will serve as a kick-ass wake-up call to the team and the driver.

I'd be willing to bet a beer that the team doens't miss another race.

Kurt Busch strugled in his rookie season, he missed the fall Atlanta race. Greg will hang in there :cheers:

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Mar 1 2003, 11:04 AM
I've liked Greg since NASCAR IMO 'screwed' them out of the truck championship a few years ago. I've seen worse infractions go by, without losing driver points.
NASCAR didn't screw them out of a championship, they (Roush and the gang) did it too themselves. They deserved it too.

I was happy Biffle didn't make the race, maybe having 5 cars is cunting into the resourses that they need for all of them to run good, just look how Terry Labonte is doing being the 4th team for Hendricks, Terry's a better driver then how he has been racing lately. And if I where the younger Busch, I would look at another team then becomeing a 6th driver for Rousch, the resourses just probably will not be there.

Originally posted by 66mustang+Mar 1 2003, 11:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (66mustang @ Mar 1 2003, 11:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--17_Fan@Mar 1 2003, 11:04 AM
I've liked Greg since NASCAR IMO 'screwed' them out of the truck championship a few years ago.  I've seen worse infractions go by, without losing driver points.
NASCAR didn't screw them out of a championship, they (Roush and the gang) did it too themselves. They deserved it too. [/b][/quote]
I think it was a ticky-tacky call by NASCAR. It was near the end of the season (at Vegas I believe?) & they used an 'un-approved' manifold I think? It's not like it was 'illegal' or that they gained an advantage by using it. It was just 'un-approved', which to me means that the manufacture wasn't filling the coffers of NASCAR at that time. Granted it was stupid of the #50 Grainger team to do it, but NASCAR stripped most of his driver points away from that race...something that was unheard of in 1999. Usually the teams just got fined until last year. It was just enough to allow Jack Sprague to win the championship by 8 points.

Originally posted by LooneyToonRacer@Mar 2 2003, 08:57 AM
just look how Terry Labonte is doing being the 4th team for Hendricks, Terry's a better driver then how he has been racing lately. And if I where the younger Busch, I would look at another team then becomeing a 6th driver for Rousch, the resourses just probably will not be there.
Kyle did look for another team...he's with Hendrick Motorsports. :lol:

It's a sore point to this day with Greg by most accounts.The end of the season[1999]in CTS was a bit controversial to say the least.A bit of barganing between a couple of the Chevy teams helped to prevent Biffle from taking the title,that much is documented.

And this isnt just to sound controversial,by the way.Just find and rewatch the race and it is pretty clear the mandate that last race was 'keep Biffle from taking the title'. ;)

That is one reason Greg has such animosity for the Sauters,Sprague and the Chevy posse to this very day.

[You remember this race,17_fan. :) ]

I don't remember the race were they prevented Greg from winning the title...just the Vegas deal. But I assume it was Jay Sauter when he drove the #3 Goodwrench truck for RCR. Hence the little 'love tap' he gave Jay in a Busch race last year & Jay fixing his car up for the sole purpose of coming back out to 'take out Biffle'. I was going to ask Jay about that Busch race when I saw him a few weeks ago, but I thought better of it! :lol:

I had Johnny sign my #2 AC Delco die cast from last year...didn't want to get into a spat with Jay. I got the die cast at cost too, the guy I got it from bought an extra case of them because Jay had promised him that he would get Johnny to sign them, but he couldn't get Johnny to do it! :lol:

Maybe Roush should think twice about:
1) Letting his driver drive for other teams so they would have enough points for that 16 team and
2) Moving Biffle up without his crew from Busch

If that would have happened maybe Biffle wouldn't be watching from his home this week.

The final race of the year was at California and won by Sprague.Ironically Biffle only needed to gain two spots to clinch the title in spite of the 'infraction'against him.

Unfortunately for Greg,and this was announced on air at the time,the teams of Sprague and Jay bargained for Jay to block Greg.....which Sauter did rather well,preventing Greg from taking the title by eight points.

Apparently Greg has never forgiven this! :)

Originally posted by 66mustang+Mar 1 2003, 11:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (66mustang @ Mar 1 2003, 11:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--17_Fan@Mar 1 2003, 11:04 AM
I've liked Greg since NASCAR IMO 'screwed' them out of the truck championship a few years ago.&nbsp; I've seen worse infractions go by, without losing driver points.
NASCAR didn't screw them out of a championship, they (Roush and the gang) did it too themselves. They deserved it too. [/b][/quote]
Aman

Whether you like Biffle or not, I would be willing to wager that you'd best get used to his being around, and being noteworthy.

He has proven himself a winner at every level, is likely with an organization that he can do so with again. If not, some other team would likely be more than happy to add him to their roster.

In the overall scheme of things, missing this race will not likely prove severely detrimental to the team except in the pride department. ROTY is based on what? the best 17 races of the season, so tossing one out automatic. This team has worked together enough to begin figuring this WC game soon enough IMO, and after the next race last season's points will be discarded in determining provisional status.

In as much as Roush Racing may have overextended itself with another team, anything is possible. Some said the same last year when Jeff Burton struggled so. Personally I don't think so, but even if granted to be true, Jack is likely looking on down the road. Mark will probably be retiring soon, as contracts come up for Jeff, Matt, or Kurt almost anything can happen, so to have another skilled driver gaining experience now will pay off either way.

I have to agree, he is a great driver. He surely will be a champion in the WC pretty soon. I just hate his attitude and personality.

Originally posted by 66mustang@Mar 2 2003, 12:49 PM
I have to agree, he is a great driver.&nbsp; He surely will be a champion in the WC pretty soon.&nbsp; I just hate his attitude and personality.
Attitude & personality...normally I don't care for a driver with this type of attitude or personality. That's why my favorite two are Dale Jarrett & Matt Kenseth, but Greg & Kurt Busch have that same attitude as a Dale Earnhardt & Darrell Waltrip. In MHO, the reason a lot of folks don't like them is because they have the attitude & personality, but ain't Dale or DW. It may be because they drive Fords...don't know? Spose they have to win first, but Kurt has been & has more wins in WC then Dale Earnhardt's replacement driver has.

I really wish I like the killer B's. They are probably Fords best drivers now (Since Newman left :angry: ), but I just can't. Just something I can't stand something about the two.

Back
Top Bottom