Black Friday 2018

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Anyone out there brave these stores for what seems to be an annual tradition?

My wife and I used to when the kids were, well..... kids. Now, we don't go anywhere near these places if possible. That's not to say we don't take advantage of what this week has to offer. This is usually when we make larger purchases, electronics and the like. A couple smaller, cheap HDTV's are on my list. This time of the year and Superbowl Season are the two best television purchase times. My wife is getting the kids, err adults, some electronic type paraphernalia.

Black Friday used to be the start of the shopping season. Now it seems to be Black Thursday. Shopping on Thanksgiving? Used to be a time for family get togethers. Now, dinner has to be done early for some so that they can go shopping. Seems wrong to me.

I'll be taking in this holiday with a big Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws with family and friends. Watching football and yelling at the television. Oh, and while that's going on, I'll be doing a little shopping with my phone.

Malls? This time of year? Are you nuts? Wouldn't be prudent.
I've been doing all my shopping on-line for years, name a retailer and more than likely I've bought from them.
I've slowed a bit this year, just 87 purchases so far, from Amazon. Mostly stuff for the boys and it'll pick up in the next week

Nope, Ive gone out a few times with a buddy just to see what is what like, but now, any Black Friday Shopping that I might do will be online.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I've been avoiding the big grocery stores and will continue to do so until this weekend. I never, ever go to big box stores on Black Friday and never would. I bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider for $30 on the PS Store this past weekend, which is part of their ongoing Black Friday sale.

i_participated.png

I thought about looking in Shopko. My favorite place to shop. I love their clothes. :)

You must live in a small town? My Dad is a store manager for them and I only know them to have stores in smaller towns. Their Black Friday ad is HUGE! Looks like the entire store is on sale

I will be working untill 11pm on Thanksgiving. The usual for me is to head to Walmart and Target around 11:30pm to check out all the left over movies. Movies are all I am ever interested in around this time, though I did just by myself a new tv a week ago. I wasnt too impressed with any of the Black Friday tv sales or else I would have waited.

No way, I do all my shopping online, have for over 10 years, you couldn't pay me enough to go into s store on Friday.

Reactions: sdj
Purchased two TV's that I've been watching the price on for a while. Not large in size but exactly what I've been needing err wanting for a while. Sunday's Nascar/NFL seasons may never be the same.

I’ll go to a couple stores today, but I never do the 5am thing. I usually go at like 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon. There’s usually still plenty of Black Friday stuff left.
I've given up hitting the stores these days just because of the ease of doing all of this online. My wife is stopping for some gift cards so I can buy some online merchandise. Not sure how it works in your area but one of the local grocery chains also has a chain of gas stations. For every $50 spent at the grocery store, you get $0.10 off a gallon of gas. During this time of the year they double it to $0.20/gal. The discount is for up to 30 gallons of gas. Doing the math that works out to a savings of $12.00 off of every $100 spent. That's a huge savings shopping that way. We also purchase dining cards this time of the year. They never expire or reduce in value.

I only have 1 grandson to buy for. So, I just send a check to his mom so she can get the things that he needs.
Then I send him money --- he's almost 15 --- so he can buy things that he wants.

I only have 1 grandson to buy for. So, I just send a check to his mom so she can get the things that he needs.
Then I send him money --- he's almost 15 --- so he can buy things that he wants.
And as those kids get older, those gifts keep getting more expensive. Now, there are fewer gifts but dang, stuff sure is expensive.

Since he lives so far away, I have no idea what to buy --- that's why I leave it up to his mom and just send him money -- but not too much. LOL
My son bought me a beer meister last year. So, the gifts are getting a little bigger each way. Only problem with the beer meister is that while he bought it, I pay to power it, refill the CO2, and the never ending beer supply. Somehow I got the short end of the stick. It's all good though. :D

Not sure how it works in your area but one of the local grocery chains also has a chain of gas stations. For every $50 spent at the grocery store, you get $0.10 off a gallon of gas. During this time of the year they double it to $0.20/gal. The discount is for up to 30 gallons of gas. Doing the math that works out to a savings of $12.00 off of every $100 spent. That's a huge savings shopping that way. We also purchase dining cards this time of the year. They never expire or reduce in value.

Stop & Shop is a good sized supermarket chain here, like your store they also have a few gas stations that discount gas according to your purchases. BJ's, they're like Sam's or Costco, has the same deal .
Dining cards, scary stuff. Several restaurants in recent years have gone belly up right after the holidays and left people holding the bag for gift cards. State AG gets involved but you can't get blood from a stone..

And as those kids get older, those gifts keep getting more expensive. Now, there are fewer gifts but dang, stuff sure is expensive.

Yup, the twins are now 4.5 and out of toddler sizes. Not only have they grown a lot so have the prices for their clothes, especially clothes. But at least no more diapers!

Buying online or going to the store a few days before is the smart way to go since a lot of places now do sales the whole week. Got a PS4 the other day with Spider-Man with it. Total of 200.00. Good deal, no people to deal with as they don’t go shopping during the week I guess, but I’m happy.

Buying online or going to the store a few days before is the smart way to go since a lot of places now do sales the whole week. Got a PS4 the other day with Spider-Man with it. Total of 200.00. Good deal, no people to deal with as they don’t go shopping during the week I guess, but I’m happy.
Is this ps4 for you?

So far so good. I don’t have PS Plus yet as I won’t really have the money for that for a bit haha. Til at least sometime in Dec probably and only one game. But it’s been good.
I have a ps4 and played fortnite today for the first time in awhile. I am still a kid at heart.

I have a ps4 and played fortnite today for the first time in awhile. I am still a kid at heart.

Tried that game on my Xbox One, didn’t like it all that much. Just something about that game man, idk can’t get into it. But hey good you enjoy it I guess.

Went out at 11pm last night as planned. Bought Jumanji in 4k and Game Night on Blu ray. Those two movies are all I purchased. I am off this weekend and have never participated in small business Saturday and have also never walked around downtown Wichita, so I do plan on doing that tomorrow.

Ordered this today, Merkur mk23c, long handle double edge razor. I've got the short handle version, the long handle is better suited for bigger hands. 100 Persona blades. I got tired of paying the outrageous prices for refills. Those 100 blades will last me a year plus, $12.00
Shaving is no longer the PITA drudgery it used to be, hot water in the shaving mug and badger brush to apply the shaving soap, A shave much closer than I ever got with the twin, triple, bazillion blade razors.
s-l1000.jpg

I've given up hitting the stores these days just because of the ease of doing all of this online. My wife is stopping for some gift cards so I can buy some online merchandise. Not sure how it works in your area but one of the local grocery chains also has a chain of gas stations. For every $50 spent at the grocery store, you get $0.10 off a gallon of gas. During this time of the year they double it to $0.20/gal. The discount is for up to 30 gallons of gas. Doing the math that works out to a savings of $12.00 off of every $100 spent. That's a huge savings shopping that way. We also purchase dining cards this time of the year. They never expire or reduce in value.
Big Y does that here, the other day I got gas for 2.27 because built up points, price right now is 2.41, but with your Big Y card you always get 5 cents off. Saves a lot over the course of a year.

Back
Top Bottom