Bonehead of the race: Daytona 500

Looks like a decent crowd still at the track.

The ones who watch the SS races year after year and continue to complain about the "plate races" or whatever derogatory terms they can come up with. CuCu

iu

Lagano ,hands down,,again. If you took a shot every time the booth mentioned his ''aggressive'' style of bump drafting you'd be chitfaced by the end of stage 2....
He was the cause of 2 ''big'' ones, he even took out his teammate in the Clash.

Lagano ,hands down,,again. If you took a shot every time the booth mentioned his ''aggressive'' style of bump drafting you'd be chitfaced by the end of stage 2....
He was the cause of 2 ''big'' ones, he even took out his teammate in the Clash.
Doesn't hold a candle to ol Stennyhouse. If he can't take them out with the front end, he will slam on his brakes and take em out with the rear. :D

Reactions: sdj
I chose a thread that wasn't focused on Newman.

I am many things. Deranged is not on the list.

After being told repeatedly by mods to take the trolling to the Podium. This forum isn't a Bernie rally, bud. You have to be pretty messed in the head to be focused on a few minutes of the President smiling at the camera after what happened last night.

I don't recall being told anything repeatedly. Please point me to those moderator comments. It seemed humorous at the time. I find that humor often helps at such times and having been in a similar situation on a personal level, I chose to make the post.

You're offended. You'll get over it.

Apologies if this discussion is being had in another thread and I didn't see it - but I have watched the replay of the 'big one' about 20 times now and I can't quite see why Joey is getting so much flak for it. Let me first say that I'm no Joey fan. I pretty much like most of the drivers out there these days but he's pretty far down my list. I'm not a hater, but he's not appealing to me.

But looking at the wreck, the 22 has a good run coming off of turn two, at the front of the backstretch, he hits the 10 square. That's bump drafting, and a square hit in the backstretch shouldn't be a problem. He continued to push the 10 and the momentum now has them both closing on the 2 at a high rate. Joey keeps pushing, but it still looks like he's hitting the 10 pretty square. Then as they come up on the 2, Almirola veers slightly toward the wall, and that causes him to hit the 2 with a bit of sideways force that turns Brad into the wall and the wreck is on.

Joey's push was aggressive but down the backstretch, that usually isn't a wreck. I don't know why the 10 got so squirrely there right before the wreck, I'm sure Joey's continued pushing unsettled the car but it didn't look unusual to me - or something clearly "at fault". If speed differential and closing rate is as much to blame, isn't that just a racing deal at Daytona? Is Joey supposed to lift on that run because it's "too early" to bump draft down the backstretch?

I know he hasn't earned any benefit of the doubt, I'll agree to that. But out of all the things he's done at 'plate tracks', this didn't seem that bad to me.

Yep I agree. The way I saw it, Logano had to rely on his spotter to tell him what is happening and his wits. He was pushing Almirola square and Almirola for whatever reason, car was loose, tight, or he was getting blown about from the wind, whatever couldn't hold on to it. Logano was going to the front and was going to take Almirola and Kez with him. It was go time and they had a line they needed to catch up to and pass. Hamlin was down there on the bottom and that was the car to beat.

Back
Top Bottom