Bonehead of the week: Coke 600

MRM

Team Owner
The early candidates were the crew chiefs of both Harvick and Kenseth for not getting their drivers out in time for qualifying for the final round of qualifying on Thursday. While it looked stupid, it didn't hurt them since they ran 2nd and 3rd.

The winner for me has to be Bowyer's crew chief. If a driver says he has a vibration, you change all 4 tires. If you change 2 and don't get it, you have to pit an extra time. That caused Bowyer to go 3 laps down and had to spend the second half of the race chasing lucky dogs and free passes instead of contending for a win.

I would have to agree with your call. I don't recall any other outlandish moves within the race.

While not a bonehead per'say, I would have liked to have seen the #55 stay out on that last caution along with the four others that did and try to make it. But oh well.

I don't know that I saw anything bonehead worthy this race.

Same here. I have to admit, I'm kinda glad the cheating ass Bowyer had trouble today.

No, I still haven't forgiven Bowyer or MWR for what happened at Richmond last year.

I have to agree with Bowyer's crew...saving five or six seconds by not going around to the left side is not worth the risk of having to come back into the pits entirely.

He said fans and credibility, he didn't say anything about sponsor or team support. :p

We think the same way about NAPA then. Okay. Works for me. Didn't lose me as a fan or credibility in my book, but we don't need to get into C pillars and adjustable non-adjustable rear suspensions now do we? Never mind intentional spins for yellows. That didn't happen either. Naw, this subject has been beat to death. Let's just leave it alone. Shall we?

We think the same way about NAPA then. Okay. Works for me. Didn't lose me as a fan or credibility in my book, but we don't need to get into C pillars and adjustable non-adjustable rear suspensions now do we? Never mind intentional spins for yellows. That didn't happen either. Naw, this subject has been beat to death. Let's just leave it alone. Shall we?

Why leave it alone when its a valid point of discussion.

Clint shouldn't get a break. He has done super shady things the past few years. Its just now that he tried to up one NASCAR and he paid for it but he has been a dirtbag on the track for quite some time.

Clint shouldn't get a break. He has done super shady things the past few years. Its just now that he tried to up one NASCAR and he paid for it but he has been a dirtbag on the track for quite some time.

It's not a valid point of discussion because it has been beaten to death, but I'm game. It's an opinion deal. Who's right? Who's wrong? The only facts are that NAPA walked away while Aaron's and 5 Hour didn't. Either NAPA has the morals of Ghandi or they are full of ****. Two other reputable companies didn't think that whatever went on was that big of a deal.....and to say that 5 Hour could walk away in the future is silly. Why would they when they had a chance to walk away now, but didn't? In fact, 5 Hour was outraged in the way NASCAR dealt with things. No ****, I started drinking 5 Hour after that.

It's not a valid point of discussion because it has been beaten to death, but I'm game. It's an opinion deal. Who's right? Who's wrong? The only facts are that NAPA walked away while Aaron's and 5 Hour didn't. Either NAPA has the morals of Ghandi or they are full of ****. Two other reputable companies didn't think that whatever went on was that big of a deal.....and to say that 5 Hour could walk away in the future is silly. Why would they when they had a chance to walk away now, but didn't? In fact, 5 Hour was outraged in the way NASCAR dealt with things. No ****, I started drinking 5 Hour after that.

You are a homer so you will spin anything in favor on whatever it is you're trying to talk about.

It's not opinion, its fact. Everyone knows what he did, including himself. Now we move on, as we should but dont try to push this under the rug like it never happen. It did.

I didn't care for DW slobbering over Danica's early but short run in the race.
Especially, after she passed Kez for 2nd.
#hypeitup

Other than that, not really much to complain about.
Besides those first two bogus cautions.

Seems like there were more than the usual suspects but since they're on the over the wall crew it's hard to pinpoint the exact culprit. Lot's of vibrations/loose wheels in this race, go figure.

Im gonna go with NASCAR's debris caution for a plastic cup 15 yards below the apron on the backstretch.

Im sure it wasn't noticeable but I have to nominate Joey's crew chief Todd Gordon for making a 4 tire stop at the last caution about 10 laps or less after they just took 4 tires.... went from 3rd to 12th in two stops at the end of the race. :confused:

paul wolfe, not pitting brad was my winner.

I think Clint Bowyer is now kinda the Michael Vick of NASCAR. Clint didn't torture any animals, but like Vick, there is one camp who thinks he has paid his dues and should be allowed to move on, and another camp that will never forgive him for what he did.

To me, Clint just did something that NASCAR themselves does on almost a weekly basis: he created a fake caution. I'm not a big fan of what he did, and I thought he should have been docked some post-reset points for it, but it's history now.

I do not feel the same way about Vick, BTW.

Juan Pablo Montoya sucked all the energy out of the bonehead energy pool with speeding again on pit road at Indy and there was nothing left for the NASCAR guys. No worries...the pool will be recharged by next week for our NASCAR guys and things will be back to normal.

You are a homer so you will spin anything in favor on whatever it is you're trying to talk about.

It's not opinion, its fact. Everyone knows what he did, including himself. Now we move on, as we should but dont try to push this under the rug like it never happen. It did.

Yeah, I do spin stuff my way. Guilty as charged. Guilty but not alone on this board for sure.

I am a homer--loyal as hell. No question.

The Clint thing was so overblown that it was stupid. The more pious people got, the more in love with themselves they became--NAPA leading the charge. IMO if it hadn't been more social media, we would have laughed and shook our heads at this 10 years from now. Instead, it was like Clint snorted crack, and killed 15 people at a mall.

I watched all the races and I can't say I saw any bonehead moves. Hard racing all day and night. Some gambled and it didn't work, but many gambles did work, but those don't make the highlight reels for the most part.

Bowyer was told to do so. Not the first time something like that has happened in any form of motorsport. It's in the past, let it go.

and I'll go with Bowyers crew being the boneheads

Im sure it wasn't noticeable but I have to nominate Joey's crew chief Todd Gordon for making a 4 tire stop at the last caution about 10 laps or less after they just took 4 tires.... went from 3rd to 12th in two stops at the end of the race. :confused:
I was pissed off myself, he just pitted 5 laps earlier, what the heck was that about. Its all about track position and no way was he going to get that back. Cost him a top 5.

Yeah, I do spin stuff my way. Guilty as charged. Guilty but not alone on this board for sure.

I am a homer--loyal as hell. No question.

The Clint thing was so overblown that it was stupid. The more pious people got, the more in love with themselves they became--NAPA leading the charge. IMO if it hadn't been more social media, we would have laughed and shook our heads at this 10 years from now. Instead, it was like Clint snorted crack, and killed 15 people at a mall.
AMEN!!!!!!

Same here. I have to admit, I'm kinda glad the cheating ass Bowyer had trouble today.

No, I still haven't forgiven Bowyer or MWR for what happened at Richmond last year.

Wow a 48 fan talking about OTHER drivers cheating? Oh the irony

Wow a 48 fan talking about OTHER drivers cheating? Oh the irony
Bowyer is an innovator? I think the truth is that you have the fan of an innovating team talking about a team that cheated. And for the record I think any team should be honored to have Bowyer because he followed through with his orders given from above his head. He is a true team mate in my book!

I was pissed off myself, he just pitted 5 laps earlier, what the heck was that about. Its all about track position and no way was he going to get that back. Cost him a top 5.
I know right?! Even if his car wasn't handling he could have held on for at least a top 10.

Bowyer is an innovator? I think the truth is that you have the fan of an innovating team talking about a team that cheated. And for the record I think any team should be honored to have Bowyer because he followed through with his orders given from above his head. He is a true team mate in my book!
Never thought about it like that but that's a good point! Thumbs up.

Probably wouldn't glorify the 48 team as innovators any more than I would call MWR cheaters. Having said that, I think Chad Knaus is a steely eye ************* son of a bitch who would kick his Grandmother in the dentures to win, and I respect the hell out of that. I admire the understated competitiveness of the 48. As far as Clint goes, I think it is the drama filled overblown story in NASCAR in several years. It ain't a big deal.

As far as Clint goes, I think it is the drama filled overblown story in NASCAR in several years. It ain't a big deal.
Only intentionally spun out to manufacture the chase positions to fill their greedy pockets while making a mockery of the sport in one fell swoop. Yeah, no big deal. Coming from the same guy who makes money from his brother's fame, never had business racing in cup, puts rocket fuel in gas lines & steals parts. Nothin special to look at. ****, if youre gonna cheat, atleast win! Always baffles me when i think back to MW's speech about his daughter asking him why he cheated & how it tore him up... just to turn around and itch it. Sorry, gtfo Mikey.

Only intentionally spun out to manufacture the chase positions to fill their greedy pockets while making a mockery of the sport in one fell swoop. Yeah, no big deal. Coming from the same guy who makes money from his brother's fame, never had business racing in cup, puts rocket fuel in gas lines & steals parts. Nothin special to look at. ****, if youre gonna cheat, atleast win! Always baffles me when i think back to MW's speech about his daughter asking him why he cheated & how it tore him up... just to turn around and itch it. Sorry, gtfo Mikey.
And yet the sport survived. So i guess it just wasn't quite as bad as some thought. Sorry, i'm with revman on this one. Zhit happens, and some get over it and move on...and others dwell in the past forever. MWR paid a very hefty price for their mistakes and now it's over and time to move on.

Last edited:
And yet the sport survived. So i guess it just wasn't quite as bad as some thought. Sorry, i'm with revman on this one. Zhit happens, and some get over it and move on...and others dwell in the past forever. MWR paid a very hefty price for their mistakes and now it's over and time to move on.

This.

That whole situation was handled horribly by everybody. I don't agree with what MWR/Bowyer did, but I think NASCAR botched the situation just as badly. My whole issue with that is that they excluded/wrote drivers into the Chase based on what MIGHT have happened rather than what really happened. Who knows, there could have been a legitimate caution one lap later. It made NASCAR look just as, if not more shady than MWR. There was a lot of $ to be made by breaking out the Sharpie and adding Gordon's name to the Chase, but NASCAR did it under the guise of "setting things right".

Agreed. But i'm not gonna forget it and wish that team well. They really screwed Truex Jr... not like he had a blossoming career anyway.

Agreed. But i'm not gonna forget it and wish that team well. They really screwed Truex Jr... not like he had a blossoming career anyway.
I understand and respect your opinion...plus, i don't expect everyone to feel the same as i do on the unfortunate events that happened at that race.:)

in all the hoopla of clint's spingate, why is nobody feeling bad for newman, he had a sure win taken away. as far as clint being a good man for following orders, do you think if orders came down for him to just go out and put dale jr in the wall, do you really think he would do it. but back to the point of this thread, i still think not pitting brad was just dumb.

That whole situation was handled horribly by everybody. I don't agree with what MWR/Bowyer did, but I think NASCAR botched the situation just as badly. My whole issue with that is that they excluded/wrote drivers into the Chase based on what MIGHT have happened rather than what really happened. Who knows, there could have been a legitimate caution one lap later. It made NASCAR look just as, if not more shady than MWR. There was a lot of $ to be made by breaking out the Sharpie and adding Gordon's name to the Chase, but NASCAR did it under the guise of "setting things right".
exactly!!!! I agree 100%.

Gordon didn't get in until the Penske-Front Row debacle went public though.

Back
Top Bottom