Bonehead of the week: Daytona II

MRM

Team Owner
The Nationwide race was rather tame as far as wrecks and stupid things go. I suppose this week's bonehead has to come from the Cup race. My pick is Biffle. He started Big Wreck II and took no blame for it.

Nascar. BS debri caution set up the big one, and it probably cost about 20 more green flag laps.

Well I promised about the race thread - but this is the bonehead thread...so, I nominate all of us who complained about the weather:

my boner goes to Danica this week, missing her pit-box when it wasn't so congestive on pit-road

my boner goes to Danica this week, missing her pit-box when it wasn't so congestive on pit-road

Good point - and her crew chief maybe too. Surely they should have advised her that the car in front of her on pit lane was pitting too and she just had to pull up behind it...that looked like an easy deal to me...hard to mess up.

In Biffle's defense Kasey got into the back of Mears and as a result Greg got into the back of Kasey.

Yep...I didn't see multiple re-runs but the one I did see it looked like a three car deal. That's the trouble with pushing if you aren't pushing a car for the lead.

I've been looking at vids of both the big wrecks today.
In the first wreck, IMO, Labonte pushed up in front of Stenhouse coming out of 4. Stenhouse had a run in the outside lane and had to lift to avoid Labonte, as a result the 24 got into Stewart.
In the second wreck, looked like the 5 got into the 13 and the lane accordioned.
IMO, both are directly related to plate pack racing and neither were really the fault of any one driver.

Funniest thing all race, Kyle's response when asked if he was ok.

"Oh I'm just hangin around." Now that is a response.

I give all the rain they had, the bonehead move of the race.

16 bumped the 5 (likely with good intentions) but...........too late...entering turn....

Last edited:
In the first wreck, IMO, Labonte pushed up in front of Stenhouse coming out of 4. Stenhouse had a run in the outside lane and had to lift to avoid Labonte, as a result the 24 got into Stewart.
In the second wreck, looked like the 5 got into the 13 and the lane accordioned.
IMO, both are directly related to plate pack racing and neither were really the fault of any one driver.

Well yeah but we have to blame somebody. This noose isn't doing any good just sitting around in the Sheriff's office.

Hate to sound like I'm piling on Danica but missing her pit box was definitely the bonehead move of the race. Right up there with the time she hit a car 4 boxes down from her's on pit row.

Jeff Gordon for over reacting to a loose car and causing a huge mess. Why the hell did he turn down if he thought Stenhouse was headed there? Get off the gas, you old fool!

Reactions: sdj

You're supposed to do this with a beer fogged memory like everyone else.

Jeff Gordon for over reacting to a loose car and causing a huge mess. Why the hell did he turn down if he thought Stenhouse was headed there? Get off the gas, you old fool!
Wrong. Aero sucked him around. Stenhouse's sideways car at 190 mph disturbed all the air going over Gordon's car and lost alot of downforce while at the same time being air buffeted causing him to get crazy loose. Not an easy car to hold on to.

Just a plate racing deal.

My bonehead award goes to NASCAR that threw an obvious popular drivers caution. Atleast attempt to make it look discrete.

Danica for missing her pit stall. Seriously, how do you miss a green pit stall? Jr. knows...:D

The rain was the bonehead of the weekend. Trust me, I was there.

Exactamoondoe! That is how I saw it as well. I saw this kind of thing happen in the Nationwide race numerous times and those young guns kept on going, very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom