Bonehead of the week(Dover)

Tennessee Racing

Formerly Stewart Fan
Gotta be Alex Kennedy(At least I think that's his name) in the Nationwide race. VERY stupid move.....

Gotta be Alex Kennedy(At least I think that's his name) in the Nationwide race. VERY stupid move.....

Gotta agree with that. I waited for the Cup race to be over before posting anything. I really didn't think anyone would top that. That move is almost as bad as what happened to start this "award" and that was Kevin LePage pulled out in front of the field at the NNS race at Talladege a few years ago.

Can't really think of anyone for the Cup race.

I know David Ragan is kicking himself for spinning out on pit road and hitting the inside guardrail, thus putting him out of contention. Says Ragan in this report:

"I just locked up the rear brakes a little bit coming into the pits during that green flag stop,” said David after the race. “It’s definitely something I need to look at and adjust for the next time we race here. That’s the first time I’ve ever wrecked like that getting onto pit road. I’m usually the conservative one, but I guess I pushed it a little too hard today and it’s very unfortunate for our UPS team. They prepared a great car and I felt like we had a real good chance for a top 10 finish, but just one mistake can change all that. I’m proud that we were able to finish. We’ll just go to the All Star race next weekend and try to get in and win that one.”

I blaime the spotter more then the driver. Kevin did have a white car and was hard to see. He did sit at the bottom of the track for a few laps before he took off.

Thanks for the video link. That's the winner, hands down.

Coming in a close second, albeit 3 years after the fact, is the bonehead/boneheads that had the idea of moving the spring Dover race from the weekend after the 600 to two weeks before. There was a huge drop in attending fans the first year that they made that move and it's gotten steadily worse as the years go by. They'll be closing that place down soon.

Ahhh, The Good Ol' Days.

feature7-lg.jpg

I know that was a dumb move, but I also notice the rescue crew on the track. How much do the cars have to slow down when the caution is displayed, they looked like they were runnimg pretty fast to have the recue team on the track.

Thanks for the video link. That's the winner, hands down.

Coming in a close second, albeit 3 years after the fact, is the bonehead/boneheads that had the idea of moving the spring Dover race from the weekend after the 600 to two weeks before. There was a huge drop in attending fans the first year that they made that move and it's gotten steadily worse as the years go by. They'll be closing that place down soon.

Ahhh, The Good Ol' Days.

feature7-lg.jpg

Huh so that's what it looks like when the stands are full, looked like maybe they had half the place full yesterday if that.

Huh so that's what it looks like when the stands are full, looked like maybe they had half the place full yesterday if that.

I saw this posted this morning on Jayski.....

The attendance is listed as 82,000 down from 88,000 last year [133,000 seats].

and

Dover Cup crowd was lowest since NASCAR began putting attendance estimates in box scores regularly in 2003 and third straight under 100K.

Perhaps no NASCAR track's Sprint Cup crowds have taken a harder hit. Dover average attendance from 2003-08: 136,250. From 2009-11: 93,600.

dpkimmel2001 said:
I saw this posted this morning on Jayski.....

The attendance is listed as 82,000 down from 88,000 last year [133,000 seats].

And down from filling the place up for decades, up until as recently as 2008. Racing Reference lists the attendence at or around 140,000 for every race between 2002 (the earliest numbers they have), and '08. 150,000 for both 2005 races. Even the race run on a Monday in 2007 was better attended than each of the last three Dover races.

I don't know how that all stacks up with other venues, but that's an alarmingly sudden and sharp decline.

And down from filling the place up for decades, up until as recently as 2008. Racing Reference lists the attendence at or around 140,000 for every race between 2002 (the earliest numbers they have), and '08. 150,000 for both 2005 races. Even the race run on a Monday in 2007 was better attended than each of the last three Dover races.

I don't know how that all stacks up with other venues, but that's an alarmingly sudden and sharp decline.

And it's not like traffic's horrible. The races ended around 5 and I was always home by 9 or 10, a far cry from taking four hours to get out of the parking lot at Richmond.

I'd venture a guess that they are going to move the spring date or lose it.

And it's not like traffic's horrible. The races ended around 5 and I was always home by 9 or 10, a far cry from taking four hours to get out of the parking lot at Richmond.

What the heck traffic is always terrible at Dover.

What the heck traffic is always terrible at Dover.

You've obviously never experienced traffic at Richmond International Raceway, takes three damn hours just to get out of the parking lot.

I've also sat in traffic for hours at Maryland International Raceway.

Having been to Rockingham, I can only imagine what traffic was like after a Cup race.

Back
Top Bottom