Bonehead of the week: Loudon II

MRM

Team Owner
My pick is Kurt Busch for spinning and almost taking out Jeff Burton and several others and spinning again and taking out Kenseth.

AJ Allmendinger for not putting logano in the wall. He showed a lot of patience, too much IMHO.

Glad I hadn't picked my Bonehead move yet. Now I can go with the 33 team. They were warned at Richmond and then went to Loudon and CHEATED?????????

Bowyer? What did Bowyer do ? He sat in the car and pushed down on the gas. He didn't build the darn thing.

I'm glad I waited as well to make the bonehead pick. I have to go with the 'principals of RCR'. John Darby was on Sirius Speedway yesterday afternoon. He said that the violation was virtually identical to the one discovered a week earlier at Richmond International Raceway. The only difference, the Richmond car was just within the tolerances. This one obviously wasn't.

John Darby quote on the Richmond near failure.....

“The #33 car was brought back to the R&D Center after the Richmond race, and we looked it over with the team present," said Darby. "They saw that the measurements were hold-your-breath close. We tried to make it clear to them that the risk was not worth the reward. After that inspection, we had two more meetings with the principals of RCR to take one last, detailed look at the report and tell them, `this is not good, and you need to be careful.'"

I guess those meetings weren't good enough.

Why is it "not good" to get as close as possible to the line without going over?
This car passed pre and post race inspection using the cage and go/no-go guages. Not until it was brought back to the R & D center and they broke out measurement equipment capable of measuring to 1/1,000 of a inch did they find a discrepancy.

Now if Na$car takes every winning car back and subjects it to the same tests and scrutiny I'll forever hold my piece. Until then I'm PO'd with Na$car.

Why is it "not good" to get as close as possible to the line without going over?
This car passed pre and post race inspection using the cage and go/no-go guages. Not until it was brought back to the R & D center and they broke out measurement equipment capable of measuring to 1/1,000 of a inch did they find a discrepancy.

Now if Na$car takes every winning car back and subjects it to the same tests and scrutiny I'll forever hold my piece. Until then I'm PO'd with Na$car.

I think the fact that they are now facing this infraction shows exactly why it is not good that they were that close to the line because this time they went over.

Also, NASCAR does inspect every wining car every week with the same scrutiny. Andy had posted an article on this subject in another thread. It can be found here.

I think the fact that they are now facing this infraction shows exactly why it is not good that they were that close to the line because this time they went over.

[/URL]

Only playing the devils advocate, why wasn't it caught in the pre and post race insp?

If you're going to rely on jigs and fixtures supplied by the "official jig and fixture supplier of Na$car" to build a car and according to those the car is legal and when presented for insp at the track it passes using Na$cars official guages applied by Na$car officials and found legal both before and after the race,,,where's the beef?

If the winning car is going to be subject to laser like computer measuring after a win it should be subject to the same type of measuring before the race. If Na$car wants to use it they should make this equipment readily availible at the track so teams can be assured they're 100% within spec.

Wait, that would cost the brain money, won't happen.

I did read the article and it's plain to see Na$car uses two different measurement systems.

My point is, if a car passes pre and post race insp using the guages and fixtures supplied by Na$car and measured by Na$car officials, it's legal.

Why the need to measure bodies, formed and hung by hand, in thousands of a inch when it has already passed pre and post race inspection where the tolerance is 1/8 of a inch doesn't seem right to me. Na$car should then throw away the 'claw' and open it's wallet. Get more machines and hire more inspectors and have every car subject to this detailed inspection.

Name another sport where you're checked and deemed legal then after a win a completely different method of determining legality is used.

I did read the article and it's plain to see Na$car uses two different measurement systems.

My point is, if a car passes pre and post race insp using the guages and fixtures supplied by Na$car and measured by Na$car officials, it's legal.

Why the need to measure bodies, formed and hung by hand, in thousands of a inch when it has already passed pre and post race inspection where the tolerance is 1/8 of a inch doesn't seem right to me. Na$car should then throw away the 'claw' and open it's wallet. Get more machines and hire more inspectors and have every car subject to this detailed inspection.

Name another sport where you're checked and deemed legal then after a win a completely different method of determining legality is used.
As a former racer, you know that there are tricks of the trade where things can change during a race, making the car better. If a car is so close to tollerance, yet still is legal, there isn't going to be an infraction, but if that were to happen to me, I'd appreciate the sanctioning body telling me that I'm so close that unless I change things, I could be over the limit next time. I'd then make at least a slight change to allow for wear and tear.

I sure can't explain the inspection process in any more detail than what was spelled out in that article. I'm not sure why you'd find it so difficult understand that that car can't be inspected in that much detail from top to bottom, front to back @ the track. As it stands now each and every car is open to such an examination every week depending on it's finish. This is nothing new. Even RCR isn't fighting the fact that the car didn't pass inspection. They're only fighting the cause.

Back
Top Bottom