Bonehead of the week: Nashville

MRM

Team Owner
The Bonehead of the Week goes to the NSS folks that seem to be ill-prepared for traffic and parking. There were long lines to the track, part of which had apps telling people to get off the wrong exit. Then when people finally made it to the parking areas, it was cash only. I always carry some cash when going to some of these events. But today, most people do not. Hopefully, this won't doom the track like it did for the first Cup race at Kentucky.

In the early 80's we spent a couple of hours in line to get a motorhome in the infield. But the crowds were a little larger back then also.

Charging for parking makes sense if you have a dedicated parking facility in an area where parking is a limited resource, multiple audiences are competing for space, and mass transit options exist. Take downtown Nashville, for example, with the HOF, Predators hockey, the Ryman, and 8,342,357 honky tonks.

When you have what's basically an unlimited resource, everyone who wants to use it is attending only your event, and you can reasonably assume driving is the only way they'll get there, don't charge for the parking. You slow everyone down, you have to pay people to accept the cash payment, you have to accept that they may be pocketing part of your fee and that some of the money may be counterfeit*, and it just doesn't sit well with the fans.

If you're absolutely dependent on that income, just raise the up front ticket price. You may fool people the first time into thinking you're offering a reasonably priced ticket but they'll remember the hassle and mark-up for parking, and it won't be fondly.

* Take two $20 and a $1 bill. Tear the about an inch off each end of the $1; leave the serial numbers intact. Tear the left end off one $20, the right end off the other. Tape those $20 ends on the $1. The two $20 are still legal tender. Pay for your parking with the $1. This works really well in a setting where an inexperienced kid is trying to conduct a high volume of cash transactions as quickly as possible, so he's looking only at the numbers.

Last edited:
Charging for parking makes sense if you have a dedicated parking facility in an area where parking is a limited resource, multiple audiences are competing for space, and mass transit options exist. Take downtown Nashville, for example, with the HOF, Predators hockey, the Ryman, and 8,342,357 honky tonks.

When you have what's basically an unlimited resource, everyone who wants to use it is attending only your event, and you can reasonably assume driving is the only way they'll get there, don't charge for the parking. You slow everyone down, you have to pay people to accept the cash payment, you have to accept that they may be pocketing part of your fee and that some of the money may be counterfeit*, and it just doesn't sit well with the fans.

If you're absolutely dependent on that income, just raise the up front ticket price. You may fool people the first time into thinking you're offering a reasonably priced ticket but they'll remember the hassle and mark-up for parking, and it won't be fondly.

* Take two $20 and a $1 bill. Tear the about an inch off each end of the $1; leave the serial numbers intact. Tear the left end off one $20, the right end off the other. Tape those $20 ends on the $1. The two $20 are still legal tender. Pay for your parking with the $1. This works really well in a setting where an inexperienced kid is trying to conduct a high volume of cash transactions as quickly as possible, so he's looking only at the numbers.
If I get caught I'm going to spill the beans and tell them you told me to do it.

The Bonehead of the Week goes to the NSS folks that seem to be ill-prepared for traffic and parking. There were long lines to the track, part of which had apps telling people to get off the wrong exit. Then when people finally made it to the parking areas, it was cash only. I always carry some cash when going to some of these events. But today, most people do not. Hopefully, this won't doom the track like it did for the first Cup race at Kentucky.
When traffic started to back up on the main road, my GPS calculated alternative routes, all of which were blocked off by the cops. That probably contributed to the traffic problems too as there was essentially only one way in.

9s crew chief for letting him stay out.he should have thought about the rules.would have finished in the top 20 and got to keep the stage points.

9 crew all around for not pitting when Chase called in the loose wheel. Alan even somewhat argued with him and kept saying "are you sure?"
"It's the right rear, 100% positive."
"Can you ride it out?"
"I'll ride it out til we wreck if you want, we're f****ed either way."

Blaney fans who say he needs to move to a "better" team.
They could be right, 2021 is a bad year to be a Penske fan and I predict some big changes coming, the first being Brad K. leaving at end of this season.

They could be right, 2021 is a bad year to be a Penske fan and I predict some big changes coming, the first being Brad K. leaving at end of this season.
What team do you consider "better"? Maybe the performance of Hendrick has been better, but I don't see Ryan filling a driver spot there anytime soon. As for Gibbs...no.

Before these same fans were complaining that it was his crew chief that was the problem. Penske changes CC and Bullins and Kez finish 2nd in the championship.

Back
Top Bottom