Bonehead of the Week: New Hampshire

Nascar cant control when it rains. They can control when they race. Deciding to go green while it was raining was a terrible decision made by another terrible miscommunication. This isn’t a rare occurrence, literally the exact same thing happened at Texas last fall.
Absolutely, and the consequence for the next race was not nearly as dire as this one. Rules and laws are built for interpretation....unless you are talking criss/cross applesauce in kindergarten. No give there.

“If in NASCAR’s discretion”
So, it would be reasonable within this context to allow the race to continue until such time that cars begin to spin out? It has been suggested here that Busch and Truex have a throttle and a brake, and failed to used them correctly given the circumstances. I mean, you don't know it's too slick until it's too slick. All good. I'll just wait until Elliott sends it in, and doesn't make it out. Then, we will have the "reasonable" interpretation of the rules I am looking for. NASCAR made a mistake. It only becomes an issue when they refuse to make it right. While we are at it, it is insane for teams who were wronged to be forced to stare at their cars under red when the reason for the staring had nothing to do with driver or team.

So, it would be reasonable within this context to allow the race to continue until such time that cars begin to spin out? It has been suggested here that Busch and Truex have a throttle and a brake, and failed to used them correctly given the circumstances. I mean, you don't know it's too slick until it's too slick. All good. I'll just wait until Elliott sends it in, and doesn't make it out. Then, we will have the "reasonable" interpretation of the rules I am looking for. NASCAR made a mistake. It only becomes an issue when they refuse to make it right. While we are at it, it is insane for teams who were wronged to be forced to stare at their cars under red when the reason for the staring had nothing to do with driver or team.
Elliott had a loud pedal and a brake also. So did the rest of the field that didn't wreck. It's in these situations that those with half a brain think I am going to wait until the dummies wreck out because it is raining. That is what happened, the dummies wrecked.

Elliott had a loud pedal and a brake also. So did the rest of the field that didn't wreck. It's in these situations that those with half a brain think I am going to wait until the dummies wreck out because it is raining. That is what happened, the dummies wrecked.
BS. The leaders are the first to find the grip level, and the rest of the field reacts. See Watkins Glen 2012. Same bull****. You know better.

They had a throttle and a brake pedal, were telling Nascar how wet it was, but yet they stormed into the corner and wiped themself out while nobody else does. Unfortunate, some would say stupid, but not meriting "special" wrapped in cotton wool treatment.
My friends and I were talking about this at the race. It was really interesting that the only three cars that spun were JGR cars. Wonderful had anything to do with tire pressure.

Or if it was a matter of everyone else checking up after seeing them spin.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The pace car driver is supposed to relay track condition information to officials.

Maybe the sanctioning body needs to review / re-structure their lines of communication. If I was Joe Gibbs, I'd send them a couple of damage repair invoices. JMO, naturally.

BS. The leaders are the first to find the grip level, and the rest of the field reacts. See Watkins Glen 2012. Same bull****. You know better.
True, the first ones in are in trouble first, but with that being said they themselves knew it was going to be very slick so there has to be some contributory negligence. NASCAR clearly made a mistake but I dont see them making a ruling to change the starting lineup fair or not.

My friends and I were talking about this at the race. It was really interesting that the only three cars that spun were JGR cars. Wonderful had anything to do with tire pressure.

Narrow, slick tires on a wet surface at race speeds.

Unforced error.

True, the first ones in are in trouble first, but with that being said they themselves knew it was going to be very slick so there has to be some contributory negligence. NASCAR clearly made a mistake but I dont see them making a ruling to change the starting lineup fair or not.
I agree.

No on set ups or tire pressure. Yes on running order, and stepped in the **** the first.

I thought the same thing. No way to prove it but it's one of those things that makes ya go hmm.

Awwww....you caught me. You are right! I don't believe in Toyota. Damn. You don't have a point. Kyle got screwed. I am fine with this race, but why should NASCAR's mistake follow him or anybody else for another race? I know. I know. Because rules are rules. Could you explain the specific formula for starting order? Nobody else can either.
Drivers are screwed plenty of times, it’s sadly apart of the game. But no I do have a point, you just don’t want to hear it(or well read it). He will start in the back, and you’ll have to accept it.

So when the green is waving is it fair to assume that the track is race-able? I am asking that respectfully....and as a follow up....What is the role of the spotter and the drivers radioing in rain? Should they radio when the track is no longer race-able or are you reporting conditions anticipating an un-race-able condition.

Drivers are screwed plenty of times, it’s sadly apart of the game. But no I do have a point, you just don’t want to hear it(or well read it). He will start in the back, and you’ll have to accept it.
Oh I want to hear it, but if you won't explain it, I will somehow get by. Whatever on the acceptance thing.....

This rain crash could've been worse. Be glad it wasn't at Bristol dirt or it would've looked like this.

So when the green is waving is it fair to assume that the track is race-able? I am asking that respectfully....and as a follow up....What is the role of the spotter and the drivers radioing in rain? Should they radio when the track is no longer race-able or are you reporting conditions anticipating an un-race-able condition.
not when the drivers and spotters are saying it is raining, you don't go flying into the corner like a bunch of lemmings off of a cliff

Reactions: sdj
I already told you? LOL! I said the point is he’s good enough to race towards the front.
Okay, I get your point now. NASCAR is saying that KFB is good enough, so let's go ahead and screw him. Got it.

I saw a fan video of the closing laps and it was much darker than I thought, even considering the NBC cameras brighten everything up. I think NASCAR made the right call about ending the race when it did, but wish they would have gone about their process more fairly.

They had a throttle and a brake pedal, were telling Nascar how wet it was, but yet they stormed into the corner and wiped themself out while nobody else does. Unfortunate, some would say stupid, but not meriting "special" wrapped in cotton wool treatment.
Exactly...If they were so sure it was wet, why not point those behind you to pass and save your car. Showers can start immediately and there could have been a time lag between reporting from corner to control. What was it, lap 5 or something? And Kyle blames the pace car? They did multiple laps before with no problem. So I give it to anyone flying into a corner while complaining about rain.... :rolleyes:

I agree on the schedule though. 3pm start with no lights....not smart but TV rules...

I saw a fan video of the closing laps and it was much darker than I thought, even considering the NBC cameras brighten everything up. I think NASCAR made the right call about ending the race when it did, but wish they would have gone about their process more fairly.
Yeah, no way would it have been fair to determine that it was too dark by sending Amirola into the Turn 1 wall....Wait. This is comical. Amirola had a gas pedal and a brake pedal....Let 'em race until they can race no more....Am I right? How do you tell? When they wreck, you have waited too long. Seriously, this is amazing to read.

Exactly...If they were so sure it was wet, why not point those behind you to pass and save your car. Showers can start immediately and there could have been a time lag between reporting from corner to control. What was it, lap 5 or something? And Kyle blames the pace car? They did multiple laps before with no problem.

I agree on the schedule though. 3pm start with no lights....not smart but TV rules...
Let's do the same with darkness then. See Post #66. Comical.

Yeah, no way would it have been fair to determine that it was too dark by sending Amirola into the Turn 1 wall....Wait. This is comical. Amirola had a gas pedal and a brake pedal....Let 'em race until they can race no more....Am I right? How do you tell? When they wreck, you have waited too long. Seriously, this is amazing to read.
What in the world are you talking about?

What in the world are you talking about?
Use the same metric for finishing the race as was used to start it. If they ain't wrecking, we can still race.

"Hey guys, race ends in an hour or at lap 301, whichever comes first" and have a clock people can see running. Not sure how this is rocket science.

"Hey guys, race ends in an hour or at lap 301, whichever comes first" and have a clock people can see running. Not sure how this is rocket science.

I thought of this when the gerbils started talking about how it was getting dark, except I was thinking of ending it at, say, 8:00 or 8:30 local time.

The race could have ended like a 12-hour or 24-hour race ends, when the clock says "time is up."

Might have made for some interesting end of race strategy.

Naw....not the NASCAR way...."As soon as somebody stuffs it in the wall, we will through the yellow/checkered, and the race is over." Thank you, and have a nice vacation y'all!

Don’t see the comparison? Darkness comes gradually and we know when it will, to the minute almost. The rain can come at anytime during the 24 hour clock. And not even be visible from one side of the track to the other.

Naw....not the NASCAR way...."As soon as somebody stuffs it in the wall, we will through the yellow/checkered, and the race is over." Thank you, and have a nice vacation y'all!
What do you want NASCAR to do?

Stay consistent with their policy, as ridiculous as that policy is, or control the race by the seat of their pants? Both of which people would bitch about.

Although, something tells me you’re just burned because some JGR cars got caught up in a ridiculous miscommunication by race control and then another JGR car finished P2 and I’m willing to bet you believe that if the race went the normal distance Bell would have passed Aric and won.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom